PDA

View Full Version : Newbie. Lost job, purchased Nissan GQ, going bush

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:14 PM
Hi, I have purchased a 1997 Nissan GQ and a Blue Staffie. Plan to head to Broome in next few weeks accross Simpson and Gibson desert then keep North. I know it's the wrong time of year...

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:15 PM
I have to post 25 times before I can download a service manual so here goes...

97_gq_lwb
27th August 2012, 12:18 PM
Keep posting lol if you need help dribbling more posts growlers will guide you though it he is an expert.

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:20 PM
I have 35' wheels, long distance fuel tank, CB Radio, snorkel, and a big sub woofer and AMP from previous owner

Stropp
27th August 2012, 12:22 PM
welcome along mate, hope it works out for you.

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:24 PM
I have so far aquired
* Recovery kit (snatch straps, snatch blocks, tree saver etc)
* Winch
* Flexiflares (need to install them)
* Second battery (mechanic to instal)
* Flood lights (mechanic to instal)
* ARB touring racks
* SimpsonIII rooftop tent

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:25 PM
i have owned a hilux before which was amazing. Went with Patrol cos of the space, diesel, size and reputation as bullet proof

growler2058
27th August 2012, 12:26 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
Hope ya hang around after ya got the manual. Shiploads more here than just manuals

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

threedogs
27th August 2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah its the perfect time to be in the Simmo, Broome or anywhere North, just saying that as stuck in Mexico.
Heres my sons Blue Staffy thingy

You'll also need a chick to feed the dog.

97_gq_lwb
27th August 2012, 12:29 PM
Is it the 4.2 litre or 2.8

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:29 PM
However after just one great into into advanced 4WD at Lithgo (SISODRV302A with John Cantrell) I have had the following probs:
* Fuel filter light came on
* Started overheating
* Started stalling (when overheating)
* Mechanic changed fuel filters and cleaned all heads (expensive)

But all probs persist. I have changed mechanic. It's booked in tomorrow

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:31 PM
wow that is cool! Thanks for the reassurances on getting out of Sydney threedogs. Here is a pic of my dog. His name is Blue, he is just a pup
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=360014944070341&set=a.360014397403729.80991.359067700831732&type=1&theater

or chack his facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/littlebluedogg

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:33 PM
Yesterday the fuel pump stopped working:(

So i thought i need to skill up on repairs for two reasons (keep my mechanic honest, running repairs on the road). So Here i am trying to download the service manual. They sell it on ebay for $20

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:34 PM
2.8L. I wish I had opted for the larger engine tho. It struggles with the larger wheels

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:36 PM
Hey mate. to be honest i was a skeptic but i think you may be right. the Nissan Patrol community could be just what I was looking for! Looking forward to discussing my trip plans and learning from you guys ;)

97_gq_lwb
27th August 2012, 12:40 PM
2.8's can be ok but they do have some issues and a few things wich should be checked before a big trip.
Heres a few things that will help the rd28 survive egr block off contact the ferret on here have the injectors done a provent catch can a genuine thermostat and clutch fan hub water pump.
Loctite the balancer bolt.
Have the cooling system thoroughly tested at natrad or similar.

Patrol94
27th August 2012, 12:40 PM
Great forum aye mate full of awesome advice on I'm only new as well but full of plenty of people who can help. Hope you enjoy it and have a great trip up the simpson would be great I plan on making the trip also

Chris.

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:41 PM
Photos of my dog when i got him 8 weeks ago (hes on the left) and the Nissan Patrol with Simpson III tent

97_gq_lwb
27th August 2012, 12:41 PM
well your halfway to 25 lol

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks '97, great advice! A few things I have already suspected and the others i will make sure i get checked out. Really helps, my self confidence in the trip is getting better already;)
thanks again

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:50 PM
Travel Kit wishlist:
* Fridge (not sure if i can afford it?)
* SatNav (Heema)
* EPIRB
* Water tank
* Cooking (someone recommended 3 burner Coleman)
* Keep one rearseat and install bed ass'y in remaining space for secure storage underneath

nberner
27th August 2012, 12:57 PM
I need to leard basic mechanics. Will spend the arvo with Mechanic tomorrow. Once i get my posts in will read the manual and take it with me on the trip. Need to buy some decent tools too. I guess they are referred to in the manual

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:01 PM
Rough Travel plans so far are:
* Leave Sydney (just need to rent out my apartment in Woolloomooloo if anyone interested)
* Head west to broken Hill or Willcannia
* Head North West and corss Simpson
* Take scenic route to red heart
* Re-evaluate and continue NW to Brrome
* Take some time in Broome then head East to Darwin and on to North Queensland

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:04 PM
Suspect i would need to join a caravan or something to cross the Simpson. But the cost of those tag-along-tours are expensive

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:08 PM
i also need to get a 35" tire for my spare rim. Preferabally a second hand cheapie. Any ideas?

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:22 PM
Just checked out the rest of the forum. Heaps of intro. Really great site admins and everyone -well done!

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:23 PM
Just need to knock out my 25 posts. Sorry for spamming. If anyone wants to reach out to me regarding anything would be great to hear from ya

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:24 PM
Have travelled Americas, Europe and a bit of Asia but have never even been to the Norther Territory. My goal is to see the real Australia. Meet the real Australians and see the beautiful places in what I think is gods country...

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:26 PM
I think the Patrol is the ultimate boys toy. I met a girl yesterday who said she hates sports cars and finds their owners to generally b wankers. But she loves 4WDs ;) Maybe there is hope for a single guy with nothing more than a broken down Patrol?

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:27 PM
In two three more posts I will be downloading my manual... Then the real questions will begin! I have never actually contributed to a forum and have gained alot from the experience so thanks to all here...

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:27 PM
two more posts (please don't ban me ;-)

nberner
27th August 2012, 01:29 PM
hey guys, have a great day. Will check back in tonight to find some cool events to take part in... nb

threedogs
27th August 2012, 01:30 PM
Missus just saw Blue, Post him down give Tyson something to play with,

Dhuck
27th August 2012, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
27th August 2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, hope you come back and join in the conversations and ask any questions mate.

MEGOMONSTER
27th August 2012, 06:38 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

happygu
27th August 2012, 07:20 PM
Don't worry too much about going bush, as there are jobs everywhere if you don't mind doing anything. I lived in Alice Springs for 3 years, and if you couldn't find a job, then you weren't looking.

It used to be a little harder getting into the mining jobs, but with shortages of labour these days in most of the mining areas, you should be able to romp it in.

threedogs
27th August 2012, 09:08 PM
Has he done a runner??????????

AB
27th August 2012, 09:09 PM
Has he done a runner??????????

Might come back mate....

threedogs
27th August 2012, 09:12 PM
Did you run into my mates at tlccv at the show??

GUtsy ute
27th August 2012, 09:24 PM
I see he's still logged on.
If he hasn't shot through, he'll get a lot more from people on here than just reading a manual.
So much personal experience from members on here is much more helpful than pages in a book.
Ask a question, get a real life answer!!
You can't beat advice from owners of the same vehicles.
Also heaps of advice on where he wants to go on his travels.

growler2058
27th August 2012, 10:00 PM
I see he's still logged on.
If he hasn't shot through, he'll get a lot more from people on here than just reading a manual.
So much personal experience from members on here is much more helpful than pages in a book.
Ask a question, get a real life answer!!
You can't beat advice from owners of the same vehicles.
Also heaps of advice on where he wants to go on his travels.

And some of us even find our long list pa hahahahahaha

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

benhirst
28th August 2012, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the info mate.

Dr.Zoidberg
28th August 2012, 04:05 PM
welcome to the forum. friendly bunch here

threedogs
28th August 2012, 05:02 PM
Nah done a runner, bummer after we all tried to help him get his 25 posts.
Just goes to show you, next time must be a ban no questions asked

nberner
28th August 2012, 06:31 PM
Threedogs, thought i would knock out another 25 today just to restore your faith!

But seriously, tough day at the mechanics. Fuel pump has gone and no refurb's available. More costly delays. Looks like Stockton beach weekender will have to wait (again!)...:furious:

nberner
28th August 2012, 06:44 PM
More time for shopping on ebay! Looking at Water Storage today...

1/ 40 Litre Foot Well Water Tank
-My preference but too costly ($250+)

2/ 60-100 LTR WATER BLADDERS
-Around $100 (new) on ebay

3/ Just use 20L PRV jerry cans?

Any opinions on container types or how many litres would, as always, be MUCH appreciated...

nberner
28th August 2012, 06:46 PM
Missus just saw Blue, Post him down give Tyson something to play with,

Wow, that Tyson is a handsome devil!!

Petit caillou
28th August 2012, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forum mate,

regards
Petit caillou.

happygu
28th August 2012, 09:30 PM
If you don't have anyone in the back seat, then the flexi water bladders are great - just don't expect the water to taste any good for quite a while.

I had the rear quarter flexi,and I added BiCarb to the first few batches of water to try to rid the water of the plasticy taste. If you end up out in the middle of Australia, it won't matter as the bore water will fix the plasticy taste anyway, as you won't taste it over the mineral salts..

Anywhere where you can keep the water low in the car is great. I would still always carry a separate container with water anyway just in case the big one springs a leak

Mic

threedogs
28th August 2012, 09:39 PM
You have restored my faith in human nature, As for water storage 4x10 litre would be better than 2x20 if you get a hole in one. Rip the back seats out and put in flat floor.
instant bed, Blue can protect your stuff under the awning. For the record you were not to be banned but the next guy, my bad forgive me I have a blue dog too.

Here's Tyson mate in arms, sadly the 3rd dog Jack went to doggie heaven recenty

the ferret
28th August 2012, 10:12 PM
I feel he'll be back, seems like a nice enough bloke.
He's probably very deep into the manual by now lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

threedogs
28th August 2012, 10:14 PM
X2 Ferret head down bum up, got heaps of mods in a short time. he'll be ok as on the right Forum

nberner
28th August 2012, 11:03 PM
You have restored my faith in human nature, As for water storage 4x10 litre would be better than 2x20 if you get a hole in one. Rip the back seats out and put in flat floor.
instant bed, Blue can protect your stuff under the awning. For the record you were not to be banned but the next guy, my bad forgive me I have a blue dog too.

Here's Tyson mate in arms, sadly the 3rd dog Jack went to doggie heaven recenty

Thanks threedogs, logic on eggs in basket is solid. Your boy Crooze is HUGE! Sorry to hear about Jack...

nberner
28th August 2012, 11:12 PM
What about GPS? My sense of direction is lacking at best. Plus I wanna to have some bearing to tracks etc when off road. Not to mention I am a tech-whore.

Was thinking HEMA HN6 due to has camping grounds on maps, larger screen etc but it is expensive ($750). Is the HN5 ok? HN5 seems to have longer battery life and is much cheaper (<$400).

Or is there another brand that performs well in the outback?

thanks again all for your time and advice...

the ferret
28th August 2012, 11:26 PM
Lol, told yas he'd be back.
Cheers, the ferret

Clunk
29th August 2012, 12:13 AM
Welcome aboard mate.... looks like you have a bit of an adventure in front of you..........
Another option for a gps is agps enabled 7" or 10" tablet, running androzic or or ozi-explorer........ can pick them up cheaper than the hemas and can use them to watch films n stuff if and when ya get board...... oh and not forgetting you can keep in touch on the forum lol

threedogs
29th August 2012, 07:38 AM
Crooze is a mastiff cross well past his hey day he's about 40kg
Jack was a Doberman, best manstopper ever made, big gentle 50kg puppy

As for your set up do you need the rear seats or can they be stored for a while

Crooze IS huge he lives on the couch now, old bugger

97_gq_lwb
29th August 2012, 08:26 AM
Geez technology is moving fast just had a bit of a look at tablet pc,s and for the price of them how can you go wrong built in gps recievers 10 inch screens wifi for around the $100 mark.
I'll be adding one to the shopping list.

Shonky
29th August 2012, 06:53 PM
G'day buddy and welcome to the forum. When you head out towards wilcannia way, give me a shout out, I used to live there when I was younger (the old man was a cop posted out there) as well as broken hill. We've also got a dugout at white cliffs which will be opening up as a bnb with camping trailer hire so you can explore all around the region. Let me know when your going and I'll organize some things on my end to help your trip out and make it as fun as possible