PDA

View Full Version : Hub On 98 GU locking up whilst driving

Mattonpatrol
27th August 2012, 08:37 AM
Hey all I have a 98 GU and my front left hub for 4wding keeps on wanting to lock into 4wd so it's making a horrible grinding noise,, so for temporary I have removed the hub, I have orderd a set of new aftermarket hubs for it which set me back $220, And I have herd from a few people that this is a common problem with patrols.... Just wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences or may have any advice? And just also wondering could the axle or anything elce be the problem to this?

Thirsty
27th August 2012, 08:46 AM
I had the same issue on the same side, Replaced mine with AVM HP Hubs and have never looked back. When I replaced mine, I did the wheel bearings and brakes at the same time and found water through everything. So it might be worth a look.

Cheers

Mattonpatrol
27th August 2012, 09:12 AM
Sweet I am looking forward to it, I'm not sure what brand myne are but they are from a 4wd spares place, Did you have to change or remove anything elce to instal the aftermarket hubs? Or do they just simply swap over? Thanks for the share!

Thirsty
27th August 2012, 09:29 AM
The AVM was a straight swap.

Outrage
27th August 2012, 10:18 AM
This thread shows how to change the auto hubs into manual to stop that problem. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs

I didn't know of it at the time mine played up, so got some avm hubs, a friend had the same issue later once I found this on here, he's tried it and no more problems.

Mattonpatrol
27th August 2012, 10:51 AM
Sweet thanks mate