PDA

View Full Version : Please help diagnose these issues

jayj23
27th August 2012, 01:43 AM
Howdy guys,

After some advice from the well seasoned patrol owners and tech gurus.

Earlier tonight while driving my shorty all of the gauges in the dash cluster stopped working followed by the battery light coming on. I got home and as I pulled up the engine began to rev fairly high and held it without dropping back down. I proceeded to turn the car off but the engine sort of struggled to stop before coming back to life for a couple of seconds and finally stopping all together. After checking the batteries and a quick look at some fuses I turned the car back on and it again began to rev quite high and was producing a fair amount of smoke.

I know it's weird but I find it hard to believe that these problems all occurred at the exact same time without somehow being related.

Will have to have a better look in the daylight and check all of the fuses but for now I'm stumped.

TB42
SWB Maverick

Any help would be massively appreciated,
Cheers.

Bigrig
27th August 2012, 07:42 AM
One for Yendor me thinks ...

Hang tight mate, help isn't far off.

Yendor
27th August 2012, 07:58 AM
I would start by checking all the fuses and the main body earth.

Bloodyaussie
27th August 2012, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the forum, nice to have you on board!!!

nissannewby
27th August 2012, 09:56 AM
Have you jump started another vehicle at all?

jayj23
27th August 2012, 10:47 AM
Cheers guys,

I'll check the earth and fuses now.

I did jumpstart my other car over a week ago but I've had no issues since.

jayj23
27th August 2012, 11:19 AM
Crisis averted!
Grabbed the tester and tested each fuse finding the meter back L. to be blown, chucked another in and everything works fine. Dash cluster, no battery light and engine is as smooth as can be.

I understand the dash but maybe you fellas could shed some light on why this would cause the engine to misbehave. Auto choke?

Cheers for the quick responses guys!

Yendor
27th August 2012, 03:01 PM
Good stuff, I would recommend haveing a look at your wiring for reasons why the fuse had blown.

I would start with your reverse light and the trailer plug wiring, as well as any extra gauges or aftermarket radios that may have been fitted.

Why the engine was was playing up will probably be best answered by Pauly, from memory those carbys have two electric idle control solenoids.

I'm guessing that fuse also supplies power to these. May pay to also check the wiring running to the carby for any damage.