PDA

View Full Version : Another White GQ

Dr.Zoidberg
26th August 2012, 10:37 PM
The GQ is an ex 96-98 police car serviced regularly, and already has a long range tank, winch bar, and power assist brakes. and has an RD28T.

Does anyone have any tips for what I should do to it first? and no I'm not sticking a TD42 in it :P

apart from replacing the head, I am going get a new aluminium 3 core radiator and a new temp guage, and some basic recovery gear. I've heard that a 3" exhaust is good for the RD28T's as well...
and may as well stick a winch on there some day :P

I gave it a good clean today, pulling off mud flaps and some trim to clean out all the mud, and suprisingly I could not find any rust (apart from a small 10cent size bit behind the rear mud flap) so happy about that!

Will post a few pix when I stick the new head on... might help some other new guys :)

AB
27th August 2012, 06:58 AM
Looks very neat mate, well done...

Get your recovery gear as mentioned, some good suspension and tyres would be my first point of call.

Bigrig
27th August 2012, 07:33 AM
Nice clean canvas mate! Let the fun begin ...

Dr.Zoidberg
27th August 2012, 02:38 PM
thanks. first thing is to get it fixed, then spoilt for choice for available mods :P

any dramas sticking 33's or 35's on a GQ?

huey_gq
28th August 2012, 07:59 AM
That looks like a good start.

Dr.Zoidberg
28th August 2012, 03:40 PM
forgot to mention it also has dual battery and safari snorkel (well photo is pretty obvious)

Dr.Zoidberg
8th September 2012, 10:12 PM
well, gearing up for the new head.... organising what bits to buy and g'ing my self up to remove the head.
apart from getting a new head, I am also getting a temp gauge and tacho, replacing the thermostat and oil filter
also replacing the timing belt (may as well while the head is off)

Dr.Zoidberg
8th September 2012, 10:20 PM
oh, and also replacing the radiator....

now i have done plenty of searches, but am still unsure on getting an alloy or copper/brass....

I have seen both on ebay, approx $260 for a 3 core alloy or $310 for a 2 core (i think 2) copper/brass
does anyone have any suggestions? I am only thinking go alloy for the better cooling as I don't want to crack another rd head ;)