PDA

View Full Version : Changing Head

Nozzle
26th August 2012, 09:42 PM
I've got to replace the head gasket and or head on my TB42 is there anything unusual i should know b4 i start.
I have rebuilt a few engines in the past and found theres always someting that i should have done after the fact.

I don't want to many oopsy's

Oil and water do mix they make cream

Bigrig
26th August 2012, 10:37 PM
Is it carby or efi mate??

Nozzle
26th August 2012, 10:44 PM
It's the carby

97_gq_lwb
27th August 2012, 08:07 AM
From what i can recall it's a pretty straight forward job .
One thing to do is drain the block of coolant .
Heres some info on the drain plug location.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7365

Nozzle
27th August 2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks mate
very helpful i never would have guesed and ended up with water in the bores again.....

malcolm
28th August 2012, 07:58 AM
Hi mate , been there done that. Basically straightforward push rod engine .

Obviously check head for flatness and have it skimmed as necessary . Check new head gasket and type of replacement head bolts you need . There are stretch head bolts on some cars that you can't re use -probably ok in your case but worth pointing out.

Also the actual reason for my drama was a baffle that sits below the carby coming loose/fracturing and getting sucked thru' the engine . You'll see it when you take off carby. I left if out - made no difference - still thirsty as ever etc !

considering lpg - then a good time to get hardened valve seats put in .

Cheers and good luck.

Nozzle
28th August 2012, 07:55 PM
thanks for pointing out about the head studs.

as its a second maybe third fourth fifth hand car i will definately be looking at new head studs. every where ive asked for prices of new and reco'd heads and gaskets they've given me prices including new studs.
i actually thought it a bit strange as ive only ever replaced 1 and thats cause i broke it.
now it all makes sense

malcolm
29th August 2012, 12:08 PM
No worries , I think the idea was that newer gasket materials with stretch bolts don't need torquing down again after a few hundred kms - so easier for the garage etc . But for DIY re-checking is Ok . Check it out and take advice on the best gasket set to use (ie not cheapie made in china stuff)