PDA

View Full Version : Swivel hubs, grease or oil??

Breaks
26th August 2012, 07:30 PM
Hey guys juz curious as to wether the swivel hubs need grease or oil? Mates mq uses grease but his missus 80 series is oil. Wots right for the GQ?

Silver
26th August 2012, 07:33 PM
grease for the swivel hub bearings, grease for the CVs. There is a recent thread about which kind of grease is best for each application.

growler2058
26th August 2012, 07:34 PM
Grease!!!!!

Bigrig
26th August 2012, 07:38 PM
Grease ... fullstop.

Not oil for our mighty Patrols mate.

growler2058
26th August 2012, 07:39 PM
I woulda thought a toymota would br the same. Oil in a troll anyway indicates a stuffed axle seal

Silver
26th August 2012, 07:42 PM
I went looking the old fashioned way, which found this thread, but not the one I was looking for

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14167-front-diff-ticking-in-4x4-full-lock

Breaks
26th August 2012, 07:42 PM
Ok cool, now how do I get the grease in there??

Silver
26th August 2012, 07:54 PM
Breaks, I think it is time you made the search function your friend. Otherwise you will wait for someone else to either recreate the info in a new post. Or someone might decide to do the search for you.

Being impatient, and having had lots of success with getting the info in the past, I like to use the search function.

I used it to find the thread I was looking for about what grease https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php%3F13799-Swivel-hub-wheelbearing-replacement-mods-greese-nipples-marine-grease&sa=U&ei=1ug5UPruEuqJmQXehoGoCw&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHZh9IOugidQ-6ceZ-roteA-TEzNQ

For instructions on stripping the hubs back to the CVs, which includes the Swivel Hubs, there is a ripper, with pictures, in one of the mechanical sections of the forum, with pictures etc - just outstanding.

So, You could either go to the general mechanical section, and just plough through the posts there - that will take ages as there are lots of posts and too many distractions :-). It would be in Feb last year's posts, or thereabouts, from memory, or a bit earlier, because I used it in Feb.

Or, look at the red coloured strip across the page, towards the top of the page. There is an empty rectangle there. Click in it, and type whatever you think will find the info you want - try replace swivel hub - and see what you get. Hitting Enter or clicking on the magnifying glass kicks off the search. You can see 'advanced search' in the same bit of the page. You could use that instead, and if you know who started the thread, put their user name in to refine the search. In this case it could be Ynot, but I'm not sure.

Good luck with it, and if you need any more help with Searching, just ask.

Have fun

growler2058
26th August 2012, 08:13 PM
This is the link ya want http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=replace

Bigrig
26th August 2012, 08:23 PM
I woulda thought a toymota would br the same. Oil in a troll anyway indicates a stuffed axle seal

Only in the bottom one ... potentially. And only if the swivel bearing plug has been removed (plastic plug that seals the swivel bearing off from the trunnion housing) .. the axle seal being stuffed "should" only spew into the trunnion housing onto the CV if the swivel bearing plugs are still in place... if a mechanic has swapped your swivel hub bearings and replaced the bearing seats/cups, then I'll bet my left one they removed the plug to get the seat out and never put the plug back in ... dodgy ...

mudnut
27th August 2012, 04:39 PM
This is the link ya want http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=replace

Thanks for the info. I Just recieved my hub nut socket in the mail, and have checked out that thread, I reckon next Saturday I'll be checking out the condition of the whole assembly.

Breaks
28th August 2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks every1 for ur help, and my apologies for any frustrations with stupid or repetative questions. I don't expect any1 to do the searching or work for me, but do appreciate bein pointed in the right direction as I'm still figuring out the ways to obtain best search results. Cheers again every1!!

growler2058
28th August 2012, 03:35 PM
No dramas mate use the advanced search it's better than the other which is a google search and stuffs me up every time :-) and when tht still doesn't work yell out plenty here more than happy to lend a hand or link ;-)

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

966motors
3rd September 2012, 09:57 PM
Go with heavy duty grease to protect well

the ferret
3rd September 2012, 10:28 PM
Lol la Lol la Lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

Clunk
3rd September 2012, 10:32 PM
Lol la Lol la Lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

What's so funny Ferret, I thought that was fantastic advise!!!!

the ferret
3rd September 2012, 10:35 PM
What's so funny Ferret, I thought that was fantastic advise!!!!

Ha ha Clunk, you havn't been following the saga Mate, he was only after the manuals lol.
Now go and shave your toes lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah, not sure if he got them or not. I saw him early but he was within the rules. AB bounced him and then I dumped a couple too but I think he might have got to 25 first

Clunk
3rd September 2012, 11:04 PM
Ha ha Clunk, you havn't been following the saga Mate, he was only after the manuals lol.
Now go and shave your toes lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

Yeah I saw mate but was on me phone lol

Silver
4th September 2012, 12:22 AM
hmmm, in the early stages someone posted that I was only after the manuals too. :-)

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2012, 12:26 AM
hmmm, in the early stages someone posted that I was only after the manuals too. :-)

Hey Silver,

Yeah he started off ok but was obviously going for the manuals. Tod posted early on his Intro to please come back when he had the manuals and contribute.

by 12 posts he basically stopped really trying and just started posting whatever. He got to 25 fast and i think he got the manual but the Boss stepped in and he has the last word. Bounced he was.

the ferret
4th September 2012, 12:27 AM

Yeah, but they can tell mate, they also have sleeper spies (dobbers) and yer still here lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

Silver
4th September 2012, 03:52 AM
I now see the problem - I was talking about a different poster - I see that someone else in this thread now shows up as banned - I didn't spot him or his posts.

How is the view from your workshop door these days, Ferret? The sun rises before 0600 over here now, and there have been some good 'uns. Moon rises too.

macca86
4th September 2012, 08:46 AM
I was watching the shenannigens too I checked his profile and saw 19 posts before it stopped. Are people really that cheap and if he was who he said he was from where he was id doubt he was strapped for cash

the ferret
4th September 2012, 09:42 AM
I now see the problem - I was talking about a different poster - I see that someone else in this thread now shows up as banned - I didn't spot him or his posts.

How is the view from your workshop door these days, Ferret? The sun rises before 0600 over here now, and there have been some good 'uns. Moon rises too.
Ha ha, havn't seen the view fer a while, head down bum up you know!!
Cop this fer a sunset!!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/002-2.jpg
Cheers, the ferret.