PDA

View Full Version : 36 years ago today..............

DX grunt
25th August 2012, 07:35 AM
I left the small country town of 200 people, in Victoria, called Thornton, and joined the workforce.

Many of you would be familiar with this small town, as you drive through it to get to Eildon.

What a culture shock it was. I always remember the yobbos yelling out "You'll be sorrrrrry" - as I boarded the bus to join the Navy. haha.

At least I learn't how to iron, and clean. haha. From memory, I went through at least one can of Fabulon a week. lol

5 out of the 8 years were spent bouncing around in the ocean. Ranging from a 107 foot patrol boat, HMAS Acute - an Attack Class patrol boat, to a survey ship in the West - HMAS Moresby - to a real warship - HMAS Vampire - lots of guns and mortars.

I was over in Sydney a few years ago, and to my surprise it's in dry dock as a tourist attraction. Went onboard and brought back good memories. haha.

I joined in an era when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel. haha
I've probably gargled more salt than you've sailed over - except for Plassy. lol.

The End.

Rossco

AB
25th August 2012, 07:37 AM
Hats off to you Rossco, 5 out of 8 years on the ocean mate!!!

DX grunt
25th August 2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks.

I still get queezy when I hear some of the weather reports about the sea state and swell. lol

Sir Roofy
25th August 2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks for sharing rossco.some of the best times are always remberded

Woof
25th August 2012, 08:53 PM
5 out of the 8 years were spent bouncing around in the ocean. HMAS Acute - an Attack Class GQ PATROL.

Ships ARE made of wood and GU's are made of PLASTIC. haha

Rossco

Sorry mate but you left me no choice...........you should know me by now..LOL

Well done Ross, at least you can post your past......:cheers:

Bigrig
26th August 2012, 01:00 AM
Well 36 years ago I was a 3 year old nipper harassing mum and the pet dog Samantha on my plastic tractor. You were blowing stuff up and I was running amok around the veggie patch. We were both badasses at the same time rossco! LOL!

Unless your parents used you lightning rod on the house when you were a kid, I highly doubt you're not 40 yet!!! lmfao!!!

True though, as without the beard you only look like a "nipper"! lol

DX grunt
26th August 2012, 09:28 AM
True though, as without the beard you only look like a "nipper"! lol

Reminds me of the song...."Baby face, you've got the cutest little baby face".........hahahaha

Talking of beards.......when's your next fundraising event.....North Pole to South Pole via Brazil? hahahaha