PDA

View Full Version : Looking at swb with/for my son.

Robo
24th August 2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Peoples.
Anything I should look for apart from the usual rusted window frames ,gutters, archers.
Say something unique suspension wise in a swb.

A swb brings about, more vibration for instance.
damaging things, as a result I should be looking for these things ?.
Anything really don't be shy hit me, with it
Thanks.

Bigrig
24th August 2012, 10:13 PM
I think the usual suspects mate - haven't heard of anything SWB specific that I can recall.

Robo
24th August 2012, 10:22 PM
He wants to go off Rd a bit.
I've told him you seem to prefer auto g/box over a manual.
Have argued that case in favour of auto as your arguments have swayed me for off Rd, it sounds logical through the mud or up a slippery slope to have auto.
but was thinking swb caster may have different issues or what ever you can come up with I'm all ears.
efi as more tune-able over carby? fire away

growler2058
24th August 2012, 10:29 PM
:bowdown:Manual cha cha cha manual cha cha cha
Autos for those without hand eye foot co ordination:tease:

Bigrig
24th August 2012, 10:31 PM
I prefer efi, but not as easy for a young fella to learn and work on off road if he had to for whatever reason. There again, steep climbs can mean the carby floods as they are prone to do ...

Love the auto - simple as that, but again, for a young bloke, not sure I wouldn't be learning the ropes on a manual first - not sure why other than experience, but I can always get back in a manual if I had to drive someone's truck (again for whatever reason, but it does happen) out of a spot of bother.

The shorty will always be more prone to rollover so that is something for the lad to be acutely aware of.

Soooo ... has that helped at all???? lol. Sorry mate, probably creating more confusion than answers!!

Bigrig
24th August 2012, 10:36 PM
:bowdown:Manual cha cha cha manual cha cha cha
Autos for those without hand eye foot co ordination:tease:

When you decide to leave the mud behind (like grown ups do) and tackle massive wombat holes and rocky creekbeds etc, you'll be crying out for an auto!!!! Especially after you've burned your first clutch out in no time!!! Not to mention the leg cramps!!! lol

You just like having a stick in your hand all the time by the sounds of it ... compensating maybe??? Roflmao!!

Sorry for the slight hijack Robo!!

Robo
24th August 2012, 10:37 PM
All good, I think he's leaning towards manual but I v'e put the case forward any way.
Personally like manual but understand and accept the reasons some like auto.
I gave him the pros and cons on it, as I understand it, was un-bias in explanation, in fact leaning towards auto "and never owned one".
Driven plenty over the yrs but on RD only.

Robo
24th August 2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks Big Man.
that's exactly the sorta thing I want to pass on.
Roll Over, very important not to do this !.
Don't worry about Hijack .
It's bloody hard to have a conversation without getting a little side tracked!.
Ha ,get it side tracked LMAO
Cheers

Robo
24th August 2012, 11:03 PM
OK SO WHAT ABOUT THIS, SWB.
What should we expect to pay $$
The body is fair, rusted out rear window frames as you expect.
4' lift.
adjustable arms and panards.
manual box.
sub lpg+ sub fuel tank
manual windows no c/lock.
air con, p/steer.
torn drivers seat, inter ok/to worn dirty etc.
In need of new tyres all round very very soon like yesterday.
has 10 mths rego.
No winch.
has spotties unknown brand.
no UHF etc or other acc known of.

So expect to pay $$$$$

growler2058
24th August 2012, 11:06 PM
When you decide to leave the mud behind (like grown ups do) and tackle massive wombat holes and rocky creekbeds etc, you'll be crying out for an auto!!!! Especially after you've burned your first clutch out in no time!!! Not to mention the leg cramps!!! lol

You just like having a stick in your hand all the time by the sounds of it ... compensating maybe??? Roflmao!!

Sorry for the slight hijack Robo!!

OHHHH like the distinct lack of mud at YOUR track hahahahahahahhahaaha i get it:tease:

growler2058
24th August 2012, 11:08 PM
Check that the gearbox/transfer mounts are modified. I think thats whats neede with a shorty and 4" lift it can put to much angle on your unis

Clunk
24th August 2012, 11:16 PM
4' lift.
manual box.
sub lpg+ sub fuel tank
air con, p/steer.
has 10 mths rego.
No winch.

So expect to pay $$$$$

At a guess I reckon they're wanting around the 7.5k mark for it...... Seeing as its had all the suspension stuff done. How's the mileage? Age?

Robo
24th August 2012, 11:17 PM
Check that the gearbox/transfer mounts are modified. I think thats whats neede with a shorty and 4" lift it can put to much angle on your unis
If the rear arms are adjustable this should be ok ?.
or does box need spacers still ?.
What about caster 4" needs how much?.

Clunk
24th August 2012, 11:20 PM
Oh yes, forgot to mention, I'm with the Big man on the auto box subject....... Love my auto on the rocky stuff.

growler2058
24th August 2012, 11:27 PM
If the rear arms are adjustable this should be ok ?.
or does box need spacers still ?.
What about caster 4" needs how much?.

Im gunna have to do a search there is definately something to do with gearbox mounts. Adj nrear arms just move the diff backwards. For the front castor use drop boxes if not been done already or if $'s allow extended radius arms.

growler2058
24th August 2012, 11:28 PM
oh yes, forgot to mention, i'm with the big man on the auto box subject....... Love my auto on the rocky stuff.

soft......;-)

Robo
24th August 2012, 11:30 PM
At a guess I reckon they're wanting around the 7.5k mark for it...... Seeing as its had all the suspension stuff done. How's the mileage? Age?

90 model I think .
120 thou on motor.
water leak, think near rad hose, better idea later.
250 thou on car.
speedo lazy ,needs replacing.
Well, going buy What I have already and excellent condition we paid $5600 for very std lwb, 3 yrs ago
this needs approx 1500 spent straight away, 5 tyres and rear frames thinking way less than 7.5k
No winch jack recovery gear.
I don't know there worth trying to get a feel for it thanks

Robo
24th August 2012, 11:33 PM
Im gunna have to do a search there is definately something to do with gearbox mounts. Adj nrear arms just move the diff backwards. For the front castor use drop boxes if not been done already or if $'s allow extended radius arms.

Adjustable rear arms, roll diff for correct alignment ?.
Its just the box needing to be lowered abit? or something?

Robo
24th August 2012, 11:36 PM
Check list growing keep it coming fellers thanks

Robo
24th August 2012, 11:38 PM
soft......;-)

who's soft???????? lmao

growler2058
24th August 2012, 11:39 PM
Ok Hipponz has done a 4" on his shorty have a read of this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3650-Truck-lift-Your-opinion-is-wanted!

Silver
24th August 2012, 11:41 PM
Robo, apologies if you know this, but if you do an advanced search on E-bay, and select the completed sales button, or put a tick on it, it will bring up the ones that sold and you can see how much for

Trolatron
24th August 2012, 11:41 PM
I love driving my shorty its got a great turning circle thats great for tight bush work and even for buzzing around town,but yeh can get on some awsome angles sometimes,wheel placement is more important in a shorty for sure.

Robo
24th August 2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks fellers, Id hate to see my young bloke In traction! so to speak.
Will have a look at ebay good Idea.

Silver
24th August 2012, 11:46 PM
the GQ based comp 'trolls (almost??) all seem to be based on a LWB chassis and running gear.

Clunk
24th August 2012, 11:50 PM
90 model I think .
120 thou on motor.
water leak, think near rad hose, better idea later.
250 thou on car.
speedo lazy ,needs replacing.
Well, going buy What I have already and excellent condition we paid $5600 for very std lwb, 3 yrs ago
this needs approx 1500 spent straight away, 5 tyres and rear frames thinking way less than 7.5k
No winch jack recovery gear.
I don't know there worth trying to get a feel for it thanks
Well I did say around!!!!!!!! Lol

Over this side of the fence, shorties are rare and appear to have a premium price.........

Robo
25th August 2012, 12:24 AM
Ok Hipponz has done a 4" on his shorty have a read of this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3650-Truck-lift-Your-opinion-is-wanted!

good read thanks, this really extended the list.

growler2058
25th August 2012, 12:28 AM
Some people say its not necessary to put extended rear trailing arms on a GQ as the arches are smaller than a U so by doing so will let them scrub easier or more. But the extended arms are heaps stronger than the standard lil toothpicks that they come with so i'm all for it. Dont go castor bushes on the front they create a weak link, so opt as i said before for the drop boxes or ext arms

Robo
25th August 2012, 12:31 AM
What's the go with 4" and Rego, need certificates ?
N.S.W

Robo
25th August 2012, 12:35 AM
Well I did say around!!!!!!!! Lol

Over this side of the fence, shorties are rare and appear to have a premium price.........

We will let some threw the fence, not many mind. lol

growler2058
25th August 2012, 12:38 AM
N.S.W

Yup I think to be legal you will need engineers report. A Shorty with 2" is gunna go pretty anywhere ya point it any Q for that mattter

Robo
25th August 2012, 12:48 AM
If say the 4" springs are no good or he really doesn't like to float that high, what ever!.
I have 2" h/duty springs for 93 lwb sitting in garage doing nothing are they compatible/fit ok?.
or they fit but simply dont flex enough for swb?.
incase dad can help him out some how if needed.
may sell,,,,,, but keeping for now incase I decide to go bush one day.

growler2058
25th August 2012, 01:09 AM
99.9999% sure no worries they'll fit
Will need to change shocks to suit 2"springs

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Robo
25th August 2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks fellers.
He just called buy with a pizza for dad "what a good boy" & read this info, tar. Nite

Robo
25th August 2012, 10:52 PM
Young feller has the swb 4" lift tb42 lpg mav now.
Don't know the next budget but?.

seems ok but needs some bits to get into the loose stuff.
after usual maint and "noise" worked out.
(see way below)
anyone with any parts for a swb?.
Between say Newcastle & Sydney.
Fire away with what ever, he's very keen to hear from you.
No junk please we dont want to disappoint our children do we.
If ya call 20 a kid !.

Slide rails/step, or plans as his g/dad is very qualified to help him knock some up.
Pr rear side window frames for swb?.
what ever so-long as still usable.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Needing attention
only real problem so far I thought air comp &/or idler were stuffed and bearings making a rumble,
While Coasting up down not matter, get a real loud rumble from some where underneath but it didn't show up till to late! go figure.
Haven't had a chance to investigate yet, went to work at 5pm
Air con not switch-en on at all.
there is lots more but real problems first.
Then some Fun Fun Fun, as he put it.
cheers

97_gq_lwb
25th August 2012, 11:28 PM
4' lift.
manual box.
sub lpg+ sub fuel tank
air con, p/steer.
has 10 mths rego.
No winch.

So expect to pay $$$$$

The prices are all over the place i remember selling similar shorty petrols for $2500-3500 .

Bigrig
25th August 2012, 11:36 PM
Not sure if someone's mentioned it, but it's suggested a degree of castor for every inch of lift - 4" lift = 4 degrees of castor correction. Pretty sure the normal castor correction bushes only go to 3 degrees which means radius arm plates (still castor correction plates) rather than bushes - from my understanding hard to get through road worthy ...

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2012, 11:47 PM
N.S.W

I believe they are still currently legal with an engineers certificate. They are changing the law one day if not already changed where you can forget about a 4 inch lift altogether, it just won't happen.

If its not engineered I highly recommend getting it done.

Cheers

Todd

Robo
28th August 2012, 01:23 AM
I dont really understand what all the fuss is about, It drives perfectly well on the black stuff and no sway bars f&r to boot.
4" tough dog and 45mm t/dog adjustable all round.
GQ swb as above better than old MK swb std height ever was.
Insurance company's Again, surprise surprise.

Robo
28th August 2012, 01:27 AM
Any ideas on a particular brand drop box being easyer to be passed so-long as no cutting required obliviously.
And the young feller expects to pay for parts forgot to mention but thought that was a given.

growler2058
28th August 2012, 01:35 AM
Any ideas on a particular brand drop box being easyer to be passed so-long as no cutting required obliviously.
And the young feller expects to pay for parts forgot to mention but thought that was a given.

PM MudRunnerTD he uses drop boxes and will be able to steer you in the right direction mate

Robo
2nd September 2012, 09:15 PM
Timing chain may need attention bit noisy.
think tensioner is either loose/worn/faulty.
FYI.
A kit is available to do chains on TB42.
Both chains.
tensioner and each guide also.
front seal.
$240 overnight local bullseye store.
No pulleys for this $$.
They are available but I didn't price em.

Genuine, Just under $190 for chains only, nothing else.

Les Penrose
3rd September 2012, 06:19 PM
My shorty tends to drain the battery if left unattended for a week or so - I believe it turns on the brake lights intermittantly.
Easily the best 4WD i've had (5 others)
best turning circle out in the bush - curtesy of being a shorty

iansmqshotyy
3rd September 2012, 10:44 PM
id look at something simpler, mq or mk non turbo diesel swb....strong cheap and almost bombproof and still simple to fix and maintain.... just a thought?

Robo
4th September 2012, 11:20 AM
This is the family's 4th patrol.
2 x MK, 2x GQ
It's the young fellers first 4by and I can't begrudge his choice.
He doesn't want diesel.
Only try and a make the most of it, father son relationship.
I hear you MK L28 dam simple but tb4.2 leaves it for dead power and economy wise and the chassie well, no comparison in 4 x coil sprung handling.
He wants to tackle the Wattagons etc near by and Id rather he have something more capable anyhow.
I think he made a fair choice, and I dont want to have to preform rescue if I can help it lol.

Robo
4th September 2012, 11:31 AM
My shorty tends to drain the battery if left unattended for a week or so - I believe it turns on the brake lights intermittantly.
Easily the best 4WD i've had (5 others)
best turning circle out in the bush - curtesy of being a shorty

The battery drain you will find isn't a common problem.
Power has to be getting threw / bypassing brake switch for it to be draining bat if thats the problem.
Huummmm--- Do you have elec brakes, possibly getting by here.
an alarm, another potential drain.
there is alot of causes.
Huummm--- May be try 1 of those load fuse test devices to see if you can locate the drain.
I personally haven't used 1 but I think they temporally replace the fuse and you can sight the load on that circute.
That may help you pinpoint drain.
Cheers