PDA

View Full Version : opinions on my tray design

Ben-e-boy
24th August 2012, 05:06 PM
Hi all

I have been mucking around on google sketch up and come up with a possible tray design. It dosnt have any of the mounts yet. I was planning on building as low as possible, recessing the spare tyre with stroage on top for batteries, air compressor, tank and a box of some sort. have it covered so I have a place to sleep on, my extra fuel tank is underneith aswell what do ya think??????
Benny

growler2058
24th August 2012, 05:12 PM
Looks the part mate
Things that cross my mind
-if it's low will you loose some departure angle
-and can ya see the rear lights clearly from directly behind (just thinking of the cop factor)
Other than that I think it's sooopa cool lookin tray

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Ben-e-boy
24th August 2012, 05:16 PM
Looks the part mate
Things that cross my mind
-if it's low will you loose some departure angle
-and can ya see the rear lights clearly from directly behind (just thinking of the cop factor)
Other than that I think it's sooopa cool lookin tray

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

The lights are just an after thought on the sketch. The length of the tray will be shortened slightly so it dosnt affect the angle the fuel tank and chassid are the limiting factor

taslucas
24th August 2012, 05:16 PM
Looks good ben-e. Maybe some rollover bars?
Ill have to get onto that google sketchup, it looks like a great program. How long did it take for you to sketch it up?

Ben-e-boy
24th August 2012, 05:29 PM
Looks good ben-e. Maybe some rollover bars?
Ill have to get onto that google sketchup, it looks like a great program. How long did it take for you to sketch it up?

it took a while but I didnt draw it in one hit, I was going to design the tray mount and rollover seperatley as I have to account for the long arm kit I have, the lower control arm chassis mount is 300mm than standard.

I was thinking of using a clamp system similar to a ROPS on mine spec vehicles

MC97GQ
24th August 2012, 06:26 PM
Nice work Ben,

There is so much wasted space between the tray and the chassis, I've actually thought about mounting a winch between the tray and the chassis(saves changing the bull bar) as there is that much room.

Go for it, Take plenty of pics, and you might have a nice little earner there, for blokes who love their cab chassis trucks, but need more storage space(I'm a bit over _ I've got a new set of drawers, it all been done before)

Mark

Winnie
24th August 2012, 06:35 PM
You've also got a nice big space for a huge water bladder over the wheel arches. What about mounting the spare at the front of the tray and have a draw that pulls out from the back with all your gear in there? Batteries, air compressor and tank... so much room for stuff there!
Looks AWESOME by the way!

Ben-e-boy
24th August 2012, 07:07 PM
You've also got a nice big space for a huge water bladder over the wheel arches. What about mounting the spare at the front of the tray and have a draw that pulls out from the back with all your gear in there? Batteries, air compressor and tank... so much room for stuff there!
Looks AWESOME by the way!

cheers mate.

was thinking about the tyre at the front. but I have a 130L fuel tank there (already on current tray) and the tyre will sit higher.but I like the water bladder idea though... time for some re-design
Cheers

boots
24th August 2012, 07:24 PM
Awesome pics ben . like it alot . my suggestion - build a rear roll bar / rack bar at the rear thats removeable just in case you need to cart around a ladder or something long .

threedogs
24th August 2012, 08:04 PM
Love it whenever I see someone doing something outside the square, great design Ben, any slimline LED will fit on the rear, maybe recessed[waterproof]
Don't forget brackets for hi-lift etc, Do compatments have lockable lids.
I likey a lot

Silver
24th August 2012, 09:15 PM
I like the old one :-) The one with the 'its only cosmetic' improvements from big rocks underneath. And that artfully arranged crooked plank - I hope it can be carried across to the new model????? ;-)

Looks very classy, and good to get the storage and thus the weight down low - nice work. Design in accessory lighting and other electrics down the track?

MudRunnerTD
24th August 2012, 09:26 PM
Looks good Ben, when does the build start mate? You have 37 days to the Meetup! Perfect!

Bigrig
24th August 2012, 09:50 PM
How will you waterproof those storage bins in front and behind the wheel arches?? Or is that for pictorial purpose only and they'll have side mounted door access??

Ben-e-boy
24th August 2012, 10:13 PM
Cheers for the input guys.

Awesome pics ben . like it alot . my suggestion - build a rear roll bar / rack bar at the rear thats removeable just in case you need to cart around a ladder or something long .
yeah that would work. It would be also good for throwing a tarp over when camping

Love it whenever I see someone doing something outside the square, great design Ben, any slimline LED will fit on the rear, maybe recessed[waterproof]
Don't forget brackets for hi-lift etc, Do compatments have lockable lids.
I likey a lot

they will be lockable in time I need to see what kind of locks are out there. they will need to be flat so I dont have to sleep on them, as for the hi-lift I was actually thinking of mounting it of the sliders between the cab and the tray,

I like the old one :-) The one with the 'its only cosmetic' improvements from big rocks underneath. And that artfully arranged crooked plank - I hope it can be carried across to the new model????? ;-)

Looks very classy, and good to get the storage and thus the weight down low - nice work. Design in accessory lighting and other electrics down the track?

hahaha it is one of a kind isnt it. the planks arn't crooked now there is just a hole lol. the tray has had a few more hits since you saw it last. I need a hammer and a crank strap just to put the tail gate on lmao

Looks good Ben, when does the build start mate? You have 37 days to the Meetup! Perfect!

not for a while mate I only have 11 days at home until the meet, next R&R is the clutch and the one after that is the injector pump and more boost.

How will you waterproof those storage bins in front and behind the wheel arches?? Or is that for pictorial purpose only and they'll have side mounted door access??

so far its pictorial, there will be a tray side there but for now its just a bin so far

nissannewby
26th August 2012, 08:08 AM
It looks the goods mate. I know its pictorial but what looks like a fire extinguisher could possibly be in an easier to get to location. What material are you using to make the tray? If braced correctly and well thought out there is no reason why you cant run a roll bar style setup using the existing tray mounts. If you intend on have all that gear in there all the time it might pay to make it out of aluminium then have a clamp style rops like you are talking. I also would like to mount my batteries in the void space under the front of the tray. There is heaps of unused room on the ole utes that we can utilise. I have also thought of like a draw style setup for the batteries so getting to them is simple and easy if replacement is required. Keep us updated. I have a mandrel bender to with 2" dies if you need a hand at all.

threedogs
26th August 2012, 12:42 PM
As suggested out there, why not have side access to the storage bins?Keeps the top nice and flat, and X2 with Newby heaps of wasted space underneath.
Like that pull out battery tray idea. You can buy flush stainless locks ,but they take up some space. Not that you'll need it but once made a quick release
Hi lift bracket for a comp truck down here. Also if you strengthen up that rear chassis cross member, you'll be able to fit a Pintle hook or similar.
just throwing ideas out there for you, called net working

the godfather
26th August 2012, 07:42 PM
I like the look Ben, but not a fan of storage with top access. Having to unload the back so I can get to anything is a bit annoying. Maybe a tilt up floor on gas struts or hydraulic power pack would be the go. You know, like a camper trailer. Then again, it all adds weight. Are you going steel or ally?

threedogs
26th August 2012, 08:22 PM
Looks like weight may be an issue as suggested a few times,so;
what about rhs sq tube frame, underneath can be gal sheet [cant see it] and alloy cheker plate for the bling top and sides

Ben-e-boy
27th August 2012, 07:23 AM
It looks the goods mate. I know its pictorial but what looks like a fire extinguisher could possibly be in an easier to get to location. What material are you using to make the tray? If braced correctly and well thought out there is no reason why you cant run a roll bar style setup using the existing tray mounts. If you intend on have all that gear in there all the time it might pay to make it out of aluminium then have a clamp style rops like you are talking. I also would like to mount my batteries in the void space under the front of the tray. There is heaps of unused room on the ole utes that we can utilise. I have also thought of like a draw style setup for the batteries so getting to them is simple and easy if replacement is required. Keep us updated. I have a mandrel bender to with 2" dies if you need a hand at all.

the fire extinguisher thing is the boss air compiessor I have lol. next to it is the tank, then the batteries in front of that. I'm still deciding what to make it out of yet. I have a few ideas on the mounts and bracing for the tray of the factory mounts

Cheers
Benny

Ben-e-boy
27th August 2012, 07:36 AM
As suggested out there, why not have side access to the storage bins?Keeps the top nice and flat, and X2 with Newby heaps of wasted space underneath.
Like that pull out battery tray idea. You can buy flush stainless locks ,but they take up some space. Not that you'll need it but once made a quick release
Hi lift bracket for a comp truck down here. Also if you strengthen up that rear chassis cross member, you'll be able to fit a Pintle hook or similar.
just throwing ideas out there for you, called net working

I have been thinking that I might modify the old tray side as access atm the tray will cop a beating as my current one does now, its quite bent.
Ive been thinking that the wheel arches are a bit exagerated.I wont be able to get the tray down far enough as I have a 130l fuel tank on their already, i plan to put it on the new tray and it needs to clear the tail shaft.

cheers
Benny

Ben-e-boy
27th August 2012, 07:43 AM
I like the look Ben, but not a fan of storage with top access. Having to unload the back so I can get to anything is a bit annoying. Maybe a tilt up floor on gas struts or hydraulic power pack would be the go. You know, like a camper trailer. Then again, it all adds weight. Are you going steel or ally?

funny you mention that I have been looking at air rams on ebay and they are quite cheap second hand, just through a seal kit though it and brand new.

Looks like weight may be an issue as suggested a few times,so;
what about rhs sq tube frame, underneath can be gal sheet [cant see it] and alloy cheker plate for the bling top and sides

yeah good point, I think i'll use steel abd put alot of thought into bracing, not going to worry about the bling its just gonna get damaged lmao

threedogs
27th August 2012, 01:50 PM
Just remember can't bend a triangle.

MEGOMONSTER
27th August 2012, 06:58 PM
Love to see this come to fruition.

nissannewby
29th August 2012, 01:38 PM
the fire extinguisher thing is the boss air compiessor I have lol.

I feel a little silly now lol.

threedogs
29th August 2012, 03:31 PM
Are you mounting it on poly blocks or just a piece of rubber to insulate it???
Is it only as wide as cabin??
Might need scrape rails on side of tray for bouncincing off trees. Could double as a tie rail?

They do run out in front of you.

Ben-e-boy
29th August 2012, 03:47 PM
I feel a little silly now lol.
hahaha DOH!!!!

Are you mounting it on poly blocks or just a piece of rubber to insulate it???
Is it only as wide as cabin??
Might need scrape rails on side of tray for bouncincing off trees. Could double as a tie rail?
hey do run out in front of you.

I have some old conveyor belt i might sit it on. The tray on there now is a 6x8 ill leave it 6 foot wide as my tyres are wider than the tray any way. I think ill knock 200mm of the length

nissannewby
29th August 2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah my tray finishes basically level with the chassis but it still has enough length for me to be able to put my 450 on it.

Ben-e-boy
29th August 2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah my tray finishes basically level with the chassis but it still has enough length for me to be able to put my 450 on it.

if I go level with the chassis the spare tyre might not fit. Ill have to measure and see

nissannewby
29th August 2012, 11:10 PM
You could mount the spare on a pivot which pivots like 270 degrees so you dont have to try and lift the entire weight of the spare you just pull it over undo it roll it away and fit blown tyre. This would be a great subject over a few beers aye.

Ben-e-boy
30th August 2012, 11:01 AM
You could mount the spare on a pivot which pivots like 270 degrees so you dont have to try and lift the entire weight of the spare you just pull it over undo it roll it away and fit blown tyre. This would be a great subject over a few beers aye.

Mate thats why I have been looking at air rams, make a frame/mount over the top of the fuel tank, flick a switch and raise it up.

taslucas
30th August 2012, 01:31 PM
A guy I know used to have an air ram inside a tube on his tray for crushing cans lol. A slot in the end so they all fell into a bag put below it.

Tap, crackle, pop

Ben-e-boy
30th August 2012, 02:48 PM
A guy I know used to have an air ram inside a tube on his tray for crushing cans lol. A slot in the end so they all fell into a bag put below it.

Tap, crackle, pop

maybe me and newby can design one when we have beers