PDA

View Full Version : GQ Winch Installation

roadthumperpatrol
23rd August 2012, 09:02 PM
I have a 94 GQ with an Alloy Bocar bar on it, I was in the market for a steel winch mountable bull bar but have been advised by Cameron at GQ Parts that I am better off mounting the winch plate directly to the chassis and cutting access through the standard alloy bar, has anyone encountered any issues doing this? any information on mounting winches to the GQ body would be appreciated, thanks

MudRunnerTD
23rd August 2012, 09:37 PM
That is very Odd advice mate??

If your keen on a steel winch bar then it will be better than your alloy bar every day of the week mate! Mounting your winch to a cradle behind the alloy bar is a compromise. Sorry that is dumb advice sorry.

The cradle your after is available on eBay through Roadrunner I think? But I'd be chasing a steel winch bar for a better option by far! I am perplexed by his advice??

Silver
23rd August 2012, 10:22 PM
Alloy bars don't rust, and are light.

Whether they are any better at fending off the wildlife I guess comes back to design and construction.

It seems to be accepted that for animal strike, along with everything else, Steel is stronger.

Whether or not steel is stronger, I guess the question should be 'is that bar, steel or alloy, strong enough for all the things on my list."

roadthumperpatrol
23rd August 2012, 10:27 PM
Cheers as I thought, I prefer steel as it's more robust and easier to weld and reinforce, as far as I can put it down to I think it was more of a no matter what mount your winch to the chassis rather than a bar at all :)

Silver
23rd August 2012, 10:35 PM
And you might find it easy to sell the alloy bar.

If your Bocar has more clearance, particularly approach angle, than theMaverick factory one that came on Silver, and you want to sell it, I'd be interested in photos and a price :-)