PDA

View Full Version : Indicators

big daddy
20th August 2012, 04:31 PM
My indicators are playing up.

When I signal either left or right, the hazard lights operate.

Would the problem be as simple as replacing the flasher unit, or could it be more sinister??

Can anyone help me out please?????????

Yendor
20th August 2012, 04:55 PM
You either have a problem with your hazard light switch or possibly a problem with your trailer plug wiring.

Try pushing in the hazard switch a few times and see if it comes good.

Check the trailer plug wiring for damaged or loose wires inside the plug.

G-ForceCrew
20th August 2012, 07:12 PM
Yep good call the trailer wiring can get damaged and get water, dirt etc in it, if the above has not worked clean up the rear wiring and seal it. Then look for the flasher unit as they do fail with age. If its not that have a close look at the condition of the wiring may have melted and stuck together with overload from wrong lamps or low voltage. You can test back from any indicator to the wiring loom. What model do you have would help for someone that has wiring details.

Kel

happygu
20th August 2012, 07:49 PM
Big Daddy,

It is unlikely that more than one light is playing up at a time, even more unlikely that you have a couple of wires rubbed together causing both to have switched power at the same time, and it will be a bit of trial and error to track the problem down.

Without seeing the problem, it sounds like it is most likely to be either a common point like the towbar connection, the flasher unit or a fault in one of the indicator lights.

Are the lights all coming on at full brightness, or are they lighting up just a little? If they are coming on full brightness, that would possibly point more to the common towbar connection point or the flasher unit, and if they are coming on dull, it points to a corrosion / bad earth at one or more of the lights.

You could do the following easy steps to help narrow it down :
First thing to check is the indicators in the bullbar, if you have one, as these are notorious for letting in moisture and corroding, making a poor connection in the circuit.

I would try disconnecting both indicators together from the bullbar at the same time and see if it does the same with just the factory indicators front and rear.

You could then use the traditional method of isolating problems, by disconnecting one indicator light at a time, and see if anything changes, and if it goes back to normal.

Just remember that if you disconnect too many lights, then the flasher will not flash properly anyway.

If you find the one that is causing the problems, then reconnect any others that are already disconnected one at a time to make sure that you have isolated the problem.

For more indepth fault finding you should use a multimeter. You should have approximately 12V DC pulsing on and off, at the same time the flasher unit is operating.

Hope this helps.

Mic

Lunny
22nd August 2012, 06:00 PM
In my experience , a buggerd flasher unit on ever caused the lights stay on and not flash, it could even be your indicator stalk. At a long shot.

Hazards run off a totally different fuse and all and on join after switch. If then you may have a fault where they meet to one indicator, which is therefore giving power to all lights.

Have you done any work around them lately?

BRTSyndrome
28th August 2012, 10:38 PM
G'day folk's, In my rig the mighty GQ wagon with poxed electric's the front right indicator has an issue with an earthing short I believe there are plugs which connect the lights to the wiring before the globe housing. if I play around with the plug it will work intermittently. I know of a few wrecks around and am going to replace with the wrecker ones and see what happen's can keep you informed if you like. lol probably will anyway so good luck people's. Also if you pull the dash and drive off without re-connecting the hazard switch then you have a problem with continuity. and the indicator's will not work as I so gladly found out yesterday.

BRTSyndrome
28th August 2012, 10:40 PM
Remember forget scotch locks and solder and heat shrink are your best friend in the long run proper earthing and make it solid folks! :-)