PDA

View Full Version : variable clutch

pjwooly
20th August 2012, 11:01 AM
Gday all,My clutch is playing up and i don't know where to start with it really.
Basically it is soft some of the time ..and then gets really hard to push in the other times.

Anyone got some ideas on what it could be and if it a fixable problem for myself ..being resonably handy with the tools.

Cheers

Pj (90 model GQ 4.2 diesel)

Ben-e-boy
20th August 2012, 11:09 AM
I would be looking at you vacuum system. the clutch and brakes are vac assist. your vacuum pump will be on the back of the alternator

nissannewby
20th August 2012, 03:18 PM
Could also need the system bled. Check for leaks around your slave cylinder if no leaks are evident bleed the system. If the problem is still there I would be looking at your master cyclinder/ vac diaphragm

MC97GQ
20th August 2012, 04:00 PM
Hey guys not all GQ's have vacuum boosted clutch arrangements.

nissannewby
20th August 2012, 05:37 PM
Yes good point. Also not all vac pumps are driven off the alternator. A bleed and checking your slave and master cylinders will be a good place to start.

pjwooly
20th August 2012, 09:18 PM
Yep i did bleed all the old fluid out thinking it may have air in it but all seemed good there.
Have taken the slave and master cyl to South coast brake reslieving for further analysis...
Will keep you all posted on the out come.

pjwooly
21st August 2012, 08:23 PM
I was told that if i had got to it strate away it would not have needed a rebuild...but i did'nt so it did.
The clutch fluid had apparently leaked well into the booster and buggered it.
I fitted it back in this arvo and it is very nice a smooth and lite..so i guess i'm happy.Cost..$220
Probly saved myself $150-$200 taking the system out myself.For those who are'nt sure how too just follow the gregory's manual.Takes about an hour and a half to
remove and hour to refit and refill.