PDA

View Full Version : Gidday

southerncross
20th August 2012, 04:26 AM
Newbie from Cairns in FNQ, grew up in the N.T in Tojo's when it was still legal to take a dump without having to wrap it up and take it home with you when you went camping. Wanting to buy a an 04-06 GU 4.2 Diesel Wagon with low Km's without having to apply liberal amounts of vaseline to my exhaust in the process.

Have done a fair bit of reading and searching here and elsewhere and have come to the conclusion that some of the totally outlandish prices for a reliable vehicle can be had far cheaper with a conversion. I mean I've seen some dreamers asking 67 K down to the seemingly more moderate 45-8 k for sub 200 km vehicles with varying amounts of modifications but all based on the td42 motor.

I've seen some older quotes here for td42 crate motors for less than 10k and current ebay exchanges for recon long motors for less from reputable sellers. I'm no mechanic by any means but figure if I'm out in the booonies. I'd much rather something I can try and fix under the hood rather than something that needs a NASA technician flown in to diagnose "if" an older well maintained motor was to be problematic compared to the so called advantages of computerised and electronic this that and the other we are sold as a benefit now days.

So my question is, spend 40+ K on a so called low KM (it's been in the garage for the last 7-9 yrs) GU 4.2 model with some mods or buy a an earlier model for a moderately lower price with the same mods that has had some tough love with large KM and replace the engine?

OR get a 04-06 3 litre GU and do a conversion to a new 4.2 crate engine? I'm not a mechanic and would have the work done thru a shop. 15-16 k for a 3 litre and 20K for the conversion would still give me a decent unit for under 40 k would it not ?

I think I'm being sort of realistic with the figures +/- a few grand but am wanting some advice on which of the options is best. IE what GU models are the easiest/cheapest to convert to a td42 engine and what loopholes/problems do I need to look at ?

I've looked and searched a bit here but keep getting head turtled by the innate knowledge and proficiency of people that live and breathe it. All I want is a td42 engine in a gu Nissan patrol , I don't want to be raped in the exhaust buying one and want something I can trust for the next ten or fifteen years engine wise, running gear is another matter. Can I confidently purchase x 2.8 or 3.00 litre wagon and place a td42 in it?

Petit caillou
20th August 2012, 04:46 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Regards
Petit caillou.

89gqpatrol4x4
20th August 2012, 05:51 AM
welcome aboard mate. I'm sure there are some members out there that will have some great thoughts on your ideas.

Silver
20th August 2012, 06:24 AM
welcome!

Interesting set of questions. You might get more responses if you start a new thread under one of the mechanical parts of the board - not everyone reads the intros.

Big_Roy
20th August 2012, 07:29 AM
Welcome mate, all the info you need can be found here. Enjoy

threedogs
20th August 2012, 07:43 AM
Welcome,great place NT, plenty of info here for you, plus a great bunch of people too, Enjoy

found this from guy selling reco 4.2 turbo on ebay.
you'll need
engine wiring harness
bellhousing
dash cluster[tacho has cam gear]
air intake pipe

AB
20th August 2012, 09:09 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

growler2058
20th August 2012, 09:33 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice. Mate i still crap in the bush aint no way im turding in a bag to atke it home hahahahahahahaaha
Ive been thinking along the same lines as you, it has and can be done but its still expensive, g/boxs crossmembers etc etc. I believe the 3.0 uses the same bell housing. For me im dropping the idea of doing the con version. Ive got a GQtd42 and am goin to look for a better body as my ol girls looking a bit skanky. Chuck your questions up in the mech threads though as a lot of people dont read the intros. Good luck with it mate

Bigrig
20th August 2012, 09:41 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

DX grunt
20th August 2012, 09:43 AM
G'day SX.

Welcome to the forum and glad you could join us.

I used to work in a place in WA called Southern Cross. Loved it.

I'd suggest you give the authorities (vehicle examiners, ect) in QLD a quick ring with your list of questions. Write down your answers, and more importantly - get a name of who you spoke to.

Sorry can't give you any advice as I don't know enough about engines.

Take care out there.

Rossco

MEGOMONSTER
20th August 2012, 09:50 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

threedogs
20th August 2012, 10:18 AM
Sad day on this planet when you can't have a dump in the middle of woop woop,
Down here in Mexico they want you to set light to the paper when you have finished,
Methane......... flame
Someone did that a few years back and started a bush fire
most expensive dump in history, huge fine

southerncross
21st August 2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guy's. :bigthumbup:

Maxhead
21st August 2012, 07:55 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

..........on the move

Dhuck
21st August 2012, 05:49 PM