PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of power

Ianauckland
19th August 2012, 08:57 AM
Hi
I have a 2002 3.0 litre diesel patrol around 300,000km. Since using a set of jump leads to jump start someones car the following has occured. Engine sounds fine and always starts fine, but intermittently when I put my foot down to pull away the engine just continues to idle, it's as if the throttle pedel isn't linked to anything. The engine management light also comes on. If I turn the ignition off then restart the engine theres power and I can pull away as if nothing is wrong and the engine management light is not illuminated anymore. Then the problem will occur again sometimes more regularly than others. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

MC97GQ
19th August 2012, 09:11 AM
Ian,

When you jump started the other car did you use jumper leads with a spike guard on them. The spike guard prevents nasty voltage fritzing your on board engine management system.

Only thing I could suggest is - disconnect your battery for a while and see if everything resets OK.

Also mate pop up to the intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself, it's something the mods here like to see happen before posting too many questions.

Good luck with it

Mark

threedogs
19th August 2012, 10:27 AM
Welcome aboard, great bunch of people here and plenty of info as well Enjoy

macca86
19th August 2012, 09:24 PM
Intros are the best way to get into the good books of people here but sounds like a throttle position sensor is gone buy. The voltage spikes

adventurepaul
21st August 2012, 05:32 AM
Did you connect the earth lead on your car to the body or engine? If so you may have arced the earth and given a dodgy connection. i would remove both batt connections clean them up at battery and where the earth connects to the manifold/ body , wait 20min and reconnect, with fingers crossed.

Lieney
8th October 2012, 10:45 PM
You can connect jump leads without a spike protector to any car.
Pos dead battery, pos good battery, neg good battery, neg to a suitable earth on car with flat battery.
If you disconnect any lead while engine is running you will create a high voltage spike that will find an earth, generally in some expensive item. Voltage is electrical pressure. If it's flowing and you break the circuit, the pressure increases & breaks stuff. Much like blocking a hose suddenly & having the end fly off.
Always let vehicles run for a while when connected, maybe 5-10 mins, then try & start flat car if you can.
TURN BOTH CARS OFF before you disconnect leads in exactly the opposite order as you put them on.