PDA

View Full Version : QLD fruit and veg

Maxhead
18th August 2012, 09:59 PM
Why is QLD fruit and veg so bloody expensive??????

I have never seen fruit and veg so bloody dear. All localy grown in FNQ by the look of all the signs!!

Tomatoes $10 kg
Cucumber $9
Capsicum$7
Potatoes $4
etc.......

This has been everywhere through far north QLD. Weipa was the cheapest I've seen for a long time and Cairns is just a joke.

.....and meat is very average from what I have bought!

Can't even find the side of the road markets any more

C'Mon QLD where is the good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Silver
18th August 2012, 10:04 PM
Freight, mate, and I don't know that they actually grow that much of it that far North, apart from on the tablelands - could be.

I think you'll find Freight, Mate, affects prices for a lot of other things apart from food.

As to the supermarkets, I am convinced that Qld stuff, say from the Lockyer valley, must go to some distribution centre down South, and then come back, because it just does not last well, most of the time. I have no evidence to support this, just my musing to explain the short shelf life.

Maxhead
18th August 2012, 10:23 PM
Freight???? Yeah I understand but why is Weipa so much cheaper

Seriously I thought the remote areas would be bloody dear but seems like the main towns here in QLD are very very expensive

EDIT: just to add. most stuff in the fruit and veg section in Woolies sais localy FNQ grown.....whats the go?

Silver
18th August 2012, 10:26 PM
work out why Brisbane fuel is more expensive than Toowoomba, while we are at it :-/

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 10:34 PM
Woolworths the off food people lol don't they keep it in a cool room for months.
I had the misfortune of working in a place that did the hams and deli meats for woolworths years ago i'll never eat a ham again they used to get the ones that were green cut the bags open wash them in a bath and rebag em.

megatexture
18th August 2012, 10:49 PM
that would explain why the fruit/veg show at the last bucks party i went to cost so much !! the bastrds

nissannewby
18th August 2012, 11:00 PM
Prob still trying to blame the cyclones and poor weather as well

Maxhead
19th August 2012, 09:41 AM
Prob still trying to blame the cyclones and poor weather as well

I reckon they'll find any excuse to charge you more.

Going to the markets today to check out the difference

..........on the move