PDA

View Full Version : Headlight upgrade GQ

Thecaptain
18th August 2012, 08:05 PM
Where/how do you pick up the switch wires for the relays

choochie
18th August 2012, 10:59 PM
From the existing headlight plugs. Looking from wire side of connector, left is switch, top is low beam, right is high beam.

Are you making an upgraded headlight loom?

Thecaptain
19th August 2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah going to do the upgrade as detailed in 4wd action, they appear to pick up the switch wire directly from the three pin switch plug which I'm assuming is located in the steering column.

MC97GQ
19th August 2012, 09:20 AM
TheCaptain,

You will find it easier if you pick up the wires to switch the relays from the headlight plug itself as opposed to the steering column, locate your relays near the battery and it's all good. When you make your new loom use good quality plugs and wire it will make all the difference.

Also mate head up to the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself and rig, it's something the mods here really appreciate, especially before asking too many questions.

If you need any more info give us a shout as I have done this mod on my GQ.

Good luck with it

Mark

Irvs
19th August 2012, 10:44 AM
Hey Mark, I was thinking about replacing my headlights on the GQ aswell, did you go ebay cheapies or brand name stuff? Also I've read that using heavier gauge wire and thick plated connectors actually gives you a better light, do you know if there is any truth to this?

Cheers,
Irvs

MC97GQ
19th August 2012, 10:56 AM
Irv's,

Mate it makes a big improvement, Mine already had H4 lenses but I did the upgrade because the previous bloke put higher wattage globes in them and buggered the headlight/switch stack on the steering column. I sourced my new plugs and other stuff from a mob called Bellanco(www.bellanco.com.au) and mate the service was good and prompt. Me personally I would recommend spending a little extra and go for quality all the way, you won't regret it.

I made the new looms myself soldering all the joints and connections. It is well worth it, as my headlights are bright and more importantly reliable(something they weren't before the upgrade).

Mark

choochie
19th August 2012, 11:11 AM
Hey Mark, I was thinking about replacing my headlights on the GQ aswell, did you go ebay cheapies or brand name stuff?

I got a set of these Narva lights as opposed to cheap eBay stuff. $120 at local repco or super cheap or covs.

http://www.elecspess.com.au/products/product/72002?category=BWNFCSOG

MC97GQ
19th August 2012, 11:18 AM
Hey guys,

If you have a look at the site that choochie recommended they also have a 100/55w kit that might be an even better option. The problem with lower wattage lenses is if you put higher wattage globes in them you may cause the reflective material to discolour from the extra heat generated thus making your lights less effective.

Just something else to throw in the mix.

Mark

Irvs
19th August 2012, 12:21 PM
Choochie do the Narva lenses have a good cut off? I dont want to be blinding oncoming traffic with Low Beams especially if I go with 55w beams

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

choochie
19th August 2012, 07:09 PM
Choochie do the Narva lenses have a good cut off? I dont want to be blinding oncoming traffic with Low Beams especially if I go with 55w beams

Yep they have a great cut off; very defined.

Irvs
19th August 2012, 08:07 PM
Excellent, cheers for the info Mark and Choochie