PDA

View Full Version : ID Plates??

Rustyboner81
18th August 2012, 05:54 PM
Looks like im missing the plates under my bonnet. gotta say i didnt really notice. been down and pressure cleaned it a few times but there defininately not there anymore.

aslong as ive got the original VIN etched into the chassis somewhere its still all good right?.......

and where would i find that number on a 1992 GQ Y60? IN AUSTRALIA?

i dont have any illegal mods and i got nothing to hide, i just want my plates back, can i get new ones anywhere??

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 06:07 PM
Looks like im missing the plates under my bonnet. gotta say i didnt really notice. been down and pressure cleaned it a few times but there defininately not there anymore.

aslong as ive got the original VIN etched into the chassis somewhere its still all good right?.......

and where would i find that number on a 1992 GQ Y60? IN AUSTRALIA?

i dont have any illegal mods and i got nothing to hide, i just want my plates back, can i get new ones anywhere??

Dude you are in for a whole world of pain if'n the Transport Nazi's find out.

Are you absolutely sure they are missing, I mean short of them being deliberately removed or the firewall rusting away, compliance plates usually don't "fall" off.

nissannewby
18th August 2012, 06:12 PM
Its generally punched into the top of the chassis rail near the steering box I think.

Rustyboner81
18th August 2012, 06:22 PM
got it off a mate recently and didnt pay anything for it, didnt realise untill the other day.
if my chassis number and engine number match my rego it should be all good though.............

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 06:36 PM
got it off a mate recently and didnt pay anything for it, didnt realise untill the other day.
if my chassis number and engine number match my rego it should be all good though.............

This is W.A. :1062:

You don't actually think that a Copper or a Mermaid is going to clamber around trying to check that before they sticker it do you. :p

You would have to have done something to upset 'em before they start doing compliance checks anyway... not sure what happens in a prang tho.

Ask your mate what happened to them

Rustyboner81
18th August 2012, 06:55 PM
nah, the only things im worried about are
1-is it actually illegal not to have them?
2-even if i were to get sticker'd would i be able to re-register it with the engine and chassis ID numbers alone.

its not really a mate anymore, he got into some shit and i have been pulled over by the Narcs caz of the previous owner (transfer hadn't cleared yet) but all thats sorted.

im not dodge, just trying to weigh up wether i should be saving for another and use this one as a doner or just do this one up and if it gets stickered well i'll be looking for a trailer and making her offroad only.
and it the weekend so i get hold of nissan or the roads and transport people.

adventurepaul
18th August 2012, 07:02 PM
I bet that its hot. Look up the #'s on the dpi website. U only need the vin ang eng # if you can find them. Not trying to be rude but as stated they dont come off unless you need them off.

Rustyboner81
18th August 2012, 07:29 PM
all good guys i know how it looks, he's kinda f'd me over here.
its not hot, ive checked, and it is licensed, guess i'll see how it plays out, its gonna be interesting though

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 08:58 PM
The vin is on the left chassis rail up the front looking down with the bonnet open.
In nsw the rta stated to me that compliance plates are of no real importance as long as you have the vin and it has been previously registered.
as i bought a bike and some dufus removed the compliance plate to fit a fairing bracket i was a bit concerned but as i have an old nsw rego label and the vin and engine numbers are all good they said it won't be a problem..

Rustyboner81
18th August 2012, 10:34 PM
thats a huge relief cheers. i'll still double check WA for complete piece of mind monday
i thought it couldnt be that bad if the vehicle was legit, but still pretty annoyed

:1087::1087::1087:

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 10:38 PM
you can put the vin into the nisfast software and it gives you the year and engine trans and other specs it came with as well pm the vin and i can post the specs if you want.

MC97GQ
18th August 2012, 10:47 PM
The vin is on the left chassis rail up the front looking down with the bonnet open.
In nsw the rta stated to me that compliance plates are of no real importance as long as you have the vin and it has been previously registered.
as i bought a bike and some dufus removed the compliance plate to fit a fairing bracket i was a bit concerned but as i have an old nsw rego label and the vin and engine numbers are all good they said it won't be a problem..

97_gq_lwb,

I'm surprised the RTA in NSW said having no compliance plate was not a problem, every car I've ever had regoed the first thing the checking station checks is the compliance plate to engine number to rego papers.

A bloke I know couldn't get a box trailer regoed recently because there was no compliance plate, he had to have the thing blue slipped and a new compliance number generated and new plate affixed to the trailer before they would rego it.

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah i had a landcruiser blue slipped years ago and the idiot wrote the vin down wrong so after a trip back for him to correct it i said here it is clear as day on the compliance plate and he stated by law he has to sight and write down the chassis vin number.

NissanGQ4.2
18th August 2012, 11:00 PM
hahahaha its not a problem for the RTA, its your problem.............

Many years ago I was given a holden 253 motor, Had nothing to put it in but hey it was for free, It was from a friend of a friends who was moving and he needed it gone, I knew the guy was pretty shonky and it would not of suprised me if it was stolen.

Got the motor anyway and then rang the RTA and asked how do I go about finding out if this motor was stolen, first thing they asked me was the chassis number *L*

And without that they could not tell me if it was stolen or not

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah i actually spoke to the rta technical enquiries guys about the bike.

I guess a compliance plate is just to make it easier if you look at some newer bikes they have a sticker that falls off.
And if you decode a vin number it tells you all you need to know anyway just like nisfast.
the vin decodes and gives tare seat capacity month and year of manufacture driveline specs country of origin etc

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 11:36 PM
nah, the only things im worried about are
1-is it actually illegal not to have them?
2-even if i were to get sticker'd would i be able to re-register it with the engine and chassis ID numbers alone.

its not really a mate anymore, he got into some shit and i have been pulled over by the Narcs caz of the previous owner (transfer hadn't cleared yet) but all thats sorted.

im not dodge, just trying to weigh up wether i should be saving for another and use this one as a doner or just do this one up and if it gets stickered well i'll be looking for a trailer and making her offroad only.
and it the weekend so i get hold of nissan or the roads and transport people.

You might get away with it for a '92. I think a lot of the rules changed in 94 or 96 or something but it doesn't matter because this is the I'net so until you talk to someone at Vehicle Services on Monday it is pretty much heresay (I inlcude me in that statement as well of course).

One thing I do know is they are red hot on later models Compliance Plates due to vehicle rebirthing and the other thing I am pretty confident in saying is that Nissan sure won't issue a replacement one.

Anyway, as you mention, it is what it is... so enjoy

Rustyboner81
19th August 2012, 01:55 PM
cheers '97 i'll send the vin via PM after work today.
i must have read half the internet by now including "vehicle standards and code of practise for queensland transport."
and i have found that it applies to all cars after January 1st 1972
QUOTE:
if inspecting a motor vehicle or motorcycle manufactured after these dates (not including other individually imported vehicles) which does not have a compliance plate fitted, the proprieter/nominee should;

* ask for proof that the vehicle was previously registered in queensland, i.e. current registration certificate or copy of previous registration certificate

OR

* if an interstate registration, proof that the vehicle was previously registered in another state or territory (NOTE,if the vehicle has been modified, follow procedures outlined in the modification section of the vehicle inspection guidelines)

OR
*advise the owner that it may be possible to obtain a letter of compliance from the vehicle manufacturer confirming the vehicle was manufactured for the australian market and met all applicable ADR's at the time of manufacturer.

where the owner of the vehicle is unable to provide any documentation,he/she should be advised to obtain a modification plate and certificate of modification issued by an approved person. Where applicable queensland transport will consider issuing a permit exempting the vehicle from the need to fit a compliance plate.

well i just hope its the same in WA

Rustyboner81
20th August 2012, 11:38 AM
ive, got an update for anyone interseted..
W.A. i have just got off the phone with the RTA / WA Roads its quite simple for me, not so much for whoever is using my Compliance plates..

i just have to take it in to a checking station and have them sight / varify the chassis and engine numbers are the same as on my registration and will be issues with a "no compliance fitted" attached to my vehicles record.

so even if pulled over by the fuzz when they look it up on their computers it will all be legit. they said a fee of about $63 would have to be paid.
i would say thats a WIN.

Happy again

97_gq_lwb
20th August 2012, 11:58 AM
Good to hear it wasn't a drama.
As for engine number checks nissangq4.2 i used to just put any ledgit vin number into revs with the engine number i wanted to check and it would tell me if the engine number had any issues.
One problem i did have though with a holden 5 litre once was that the engine number had rta fine default encumberance against it.
When i rang the rta they said that was because it was last registered with a cars vin that had that issue and as soon as it was fitted to a vechile with a clean title and registered that status would be removed.

Rustyboner81
20th August 2012, 12:45 PM
yep, back to ordering parts hahahaha