PDA

View Full Version : Electric to Manual Windows

TimW
18th August 2012, 01:12 AM
I'm looking at changing from electric windows back to manual as I'm constantly having problems with the electrics and the cost of fixing them seems too much. I can fabricate the inner door skin but need some advice on the window regulators. Can I use the current electric window regulators or do I need to purchase manual window regulators for all 4. Also, where can I purchase the manual window winders, the rest I can sort out. Appreciate any help.;)

04OFF
18th August 2012, 07:21 AM
What model Patrol do you have bud ?

It may pay to investigate if the inner door "skin" is in fact universal fit for manual or electric windows ?

Doubt you will be able to use your current window regulators , there are aftermarket kits to go the other way (convert manual to electric) that retain the regulators, but ive never heard of any when converting back to manual.

I guess if you are lucky, you may be able to swap the whole set up with someone who wants to convert from manual to electric including switches/regulators/door trims etc, other wise its look for people wrecking your model.

Winnie
18th August 2012, 07:55 AM
Manual and electric window regulators are he same on GQ

Tappa tappa

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2012, 09:07 AM
i have come across this a few times online.

My GQ has electric windows, icf you take the door card off you will find that the electric window motor fits over the the same window regulator spindle that you would fit the manual winder onto to the point that when i stripped the car i used a manual winder out of a Pulsar to work the window glass for a while.

So Straight swap mate ;)

I have heard of a bloke that could not do this and it was quite a task to swap over and involved new regulators???? I believe this must have had after market electric windows or something?? Very Odd? Unfortunately he was the bloke asking for advice and the advice i gave you above did not pan out for him? Go figure?

Strip a card off and unbolt a motor and it will be clear as day in 5 minutes mate ;)

roadthumperpatrol
23rd August 2012, 08:39 PM
Looking at the opposite, I have a 94 GQ and want to restore it back to electric windows, someone has replaced the door cards with the manual door cards and manual winders, I am an auto elec. by trade so upkeep isn't a problem with electrics to me, anyone wanting to swap door cards and motors to winders just let me know!!!