PDA

View Full Version : Does 480 000k = Much life left in a 4.2 Turbo?

nikp_7
17th August 2012, 05:21 PM
Looking at buying a GQ 4.2 turbo for 10k, but it has 480 000K's..

Ive heard a reco would cost me about 6K, but the mechanic also said theres nothing that stops a 4.2 TDR, just as long as it doesnt blow smoke

The 4WD has a load of features, BUT, 480, seems steep. I dont know anything about diesels,...unleaded, yes, turbine jet, yes, diesel? NO, i can barely spell it.

Any advice would be most greatly appreciated!

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2012, 05:30 PM
480 is not that much for the mighty TD42. and your mechanic is not quite right, Black smoke is good on a Diesel and says Nothing about the engine other than it is getting too much fuel. Blue smoke not so good ;)

If your concerned then ask for a compression test on the engine. Anything else is speculation. But, a TD42 is tough as guts mate. 10k for that many ks is on the high side though but as you say there are plenty of other mods on the car so may be a good buy.

growler2058
17th August 2012, 05:31 PM
As long as its got a good documented service history mate. Especially from its early life. A td42 thats serviced regularli ie oil and filters will live a very long time, mines done well over 500,000

my third 256
18th August 2012, 10:55 AM
but also checkout all the other stuff on the patrol / springs /shockies/hubs /axles /gear box/etc they could be stuffed

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 11:18 AM
Take it for a good drive as well with that many k's other things wear like diffs wine lsd,s don't work uni's wheelbearings swivel hubs ask what has been replaced and what hasn't.
Even with half the k's their will be a lot of things that just don't last that will need checking.

snewin
18th August 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm no expert but FWIW I've read that the 4.2TD can go to between 800,000 and 1 mill k's before they need to be reconditioned but only if they're looked after - oil change every 5000 and filters changed every 10,000. Don't know if there's any basis on this but I'm happy to accept it.

threedogs
18th August 2012, 12:39 PM
I'm with my Third, Don't forget the rest of the 4b has done 450Ks as well. gear box, diffs, etc regardless of mods
other components maybe just about to fail.
As Growler said a good early service history will tell you heaps

bazzad
18th August 2012, 06:37 PM
Walk away, there is a huge difference between having put most of the k s on your own truck then buying into the unknown.
$4000 tops and spend 6 on brand new bits that you want.
Just mine thoughts

MEGOMONSTER
18th August 2012, 06:42 PM
Walk away, there is a huge difference between having put most of the k s on your own truck then buying into the unknown.

Couldn't agree more, well said.

nissannewby
18th August 2012, 06:54 PM
It is on the high side. If it blows black smoke all the time even when cruising at 60k's with no load on the motor then there is some underlying issues. My mrs has a GQ ute which now has 430k on it and its at the point in its life where everything is due for replacement. I would spend the extra dollars and get something with atleast 200k less k's on it

MC97GQ
19th August 2012, 07:36 AM
Mate as a bloke who has a GQ that has that mileage, the blokes above are right. 10K for that many K's is pretty pricey, I paid 7K for my cab chassis ute(and Utes are normally more expensive than wagons) and although now it is a great truck here is a list of what has been done mechanically. I've done more to interior trim, tray etc.

Gearbox replaced
New Clutch
All new suspension bushes front and rear
New head, lower and upper thermostat housings.
New radiator and heater hoses

What I still want to do:

Cab mounts
Swivel hubs
Rear wheel bearings

It's all big dollars, mate keep looking around you will find one with lower K's for a better price. But if you think the truck your looking at is what you really want, then get it checked right out.

I reckon I've spent at least 7K on all the stuff I've done(and a mate of mine is a Patrol driving mechanic and a lot of work was trade for me helping him out with stuff), but to me it was well worth it because there ain't no better machine than a Patrol, and when I'm finished I know it will be good for the other 520000k's that I want to put on it.

Good luck with it

Mark

MudRunnerTD
19th August 2012, 10:11 AM
So the answer is clear mate. The engine is a Gem but could be getting a little tired if not treated right and you should be having a much harder look at the rest of the car that has done 450,000kms. Regardless of the brand or model 450ks is getting there unless your a Kenworth doing the Sydney to Melbourne run.

Have a very good look or walk away at that price. If it was a TB42 with that many the guy would be lucky to get $3000 for it!! He is banking on the TD42

nikp_7
19th August 2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks heaps guys for the info.

Your right, it is too pricey.

Decided against it.

:cheers:

GQ TANK
26th August 2012, 06:16 PM
I just looked a GQ in melton, the guy also wants 10 k. It has a couple of the nice bits ( winch bar & wich, 3 inch lift and Snorkle), but 10 K is over priced. The external condition was average.

If it was around 6 - 7 K I would have been intertested.

Richo460
26th August 2012, 08:09 PM
i bought a gq for 7 with 410 000 with lots of goodies. Seems to be great so far and pretty much the first thing i did was a turbo install. Time will tell about its reliability but so far its great.

oilpond
11th October 2012, 10:55 AM
$10000lol...