PDA

View Full Version : Hey Boys!!! new to the 4wd world...

nikp_7
17th August 2012, 04:43 PM
:beer: Cheers boys!

Thought id sign up, rack some knowledge from some Vets, and hopefully get to a point where i can offer new heads some pearls!...but for now, i dont know anything.

So im in the Market for a Nissan Patrol GQ or GU 4.2ltr Turbo Diesel, either that or a Landcruiser 80 Series.. what? who said that? :p

Budget, 10k mark, 2.5k either side.

Ill llet you know what i end up getting, and will probably ask some stupid questions along the way

:beer:

DX grunt
17th August 2012, 04:46 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

Plenty of vets here, but not with troll knowledge. hahaha

Where you from?

Take care out there.

Rossco

Petit caillou
17th August 2012, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the forum mate,

regards
Petit caillou.

growler2058
17th August 2012, 05:23 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

nikp_7
17th August 2012, 05:24 PM
Im at Newcastle, NSW

threedogs
17th August 2012, 05:52 PM
Hello and welcome, no silly questions here,but a great bunch of people,
and plenty of info, Enjoy.
Look forward to a pic of your ride

Dhuck
17th August 2012, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

MEGOMONSTER
17th August 2012, 08:12 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Maxhead
18th August 2012, 08:14 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

..........on the move

Bigrig
18th August 2012, 08:37 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

AB
18th August 2012, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

happygu
18th August 2012, 10:31 AM
Welcome aboard,

I've never owned an 80 Series, but you can't go past a good GQ or GU Patrol, or even a Landcruiser 80 Series.

I think looking at your budget, you are realistically looking at a GQ or an 80 Series, if you are after the 4.2 Diesel. GU's are way up there in pricing, so unless you are very fortunate, I'm not sure you will find one of those.

There are great features in all the vehicles that you want, but look for the one that has been looked after well. My GQ, which I owned for over 12 years, was heavily modified but still looked like it was off the showroom floor so it can be done. Obviously both the 80 Series and the GQ are getting old now in terms of vehicle life, and finding one like that will be extremely difficult, but equally, there is no excuse for a car that looks like it has been pulled out of the trash.

The GQ's and GU's are generally more reliable than your average vehicle, and are designed for long component life. With my GQ, the only part failure was the clutch slave cylinder in all the time I owned it.

GQ's - tough driveline, good vehicle design ( in terms of wide wheel base / low centre of gravity compared to the body ), easily modifiable, parts available everywhere. Weakest points compared to the cruiser would be low sills and rear quarters for off road work, not as much room internally, and not as 'car like', and the bloody expensive moulded mudflaps and flares ( Hopefully they are cheaper now!! ).

80 Series - generally better motors, high bodies, great reputation. Weakest points would be the underslung rear tyre, and front differentials.

I think your best bet is to get the most modern car you can afford, and the one which has been the best looked after. Even though I loved my old GQ - great car, great 4.2 Diesel, I honestly couldn't go back now after owning a 3 Litre GU.

Mic

taslucas
18th August 2012, 11:19 AM
Gday mate, welcome aboard. Once you spend a bit of time looking around here, tyhe choice will be clear and you'll feel great in your new patrol:)

Big_Roy
18th August 2012, 11:59 AM
Welcome mate, I'm sure you will find all the info you need on here. Enjoy