PDA

View Full Version : Windscreens

paps01
16th August 2012, 04:59 PM
A word of warning about replacement windscreens. I ahd a screen replaced by Windscreens O'Brien in Rockhampton (Hope they're not a sponsor) recently for $489.00. We were on the road and I didn't even ring anyone else. Unfortunately the screen was cracked on Cape York. I have just had it replaced in Melbourne. National Windscreens came and did it at my home for $225.oo. I rang Novus who quoted $245.00. So I rang WSO'B to see if they were going to be cheaper in VIC and they wouldn't give me a quote without first giving my name, address and phone number which I refused to do. So be caeful of the big advertisers. They have some big costs to recoup. While I'm giving out whacks. The starter motor on my Gu became very slow in the mornings after some deep water crossings. I went to Western Auto Elecricians in Broken Hill (hope they're not a sponsor) who diagnosed it as a stuck brush. All fixed for $180.00. Got home a week later throught the outback. Veh used twice since and starter is dead. Local Auto Elec Camerons in Lilydale stripped it. sandblasted it, machined the armature, new bearings and brushes for $148.00 and it goes like a beauty. It was covered in silastic and full of rust and didn't look like it had been completely apart for years. Whats the motto? Travellers in neeed of a quick fix beware.

megatexture
16th August 2012, 06:10 PM
i got two car windscreens replaced this year (hilux and a patrol both done same time on a weekend appointment) and got quote from obrien and it was $1100 for both racq glass did it for $450 for both! and it only took him an hr to do

macca
16th August 2012, 06:14 PM
Had the same with O'Briens at home here, had some sales man who was my new best friend ring me about 5 times.
Final call was when a local bloke was fixing it for half their quoted price!!
I got the poops with him, as I only gave my phone number on the condition I would not be harrassed by the sales department. He got the full bucket...

Macca

scotty83
16th August 2012, 06:59 PM
i got two car windscreens replaced this year (hilux and a patrol both done same time on a weekend appointment) and got quote from obrien and it was $1100 for both racq glass did it for $450 for both! and it only took him an hr to do

Same Situation for me with Obriens and RACQ. RACQ whooped them.

MudRunnerTD
16th August 2012, 07:56 PM
Good to know guys i am in the market for the GQ now

Winnie
16th August 2012, 08:00 PM
I had a bit of a horror story with Windscreens O'Brien

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11668-Windscreen-pulling-on-vinyl

ozzyboy
16th August 2012, 08:12 PM
windscreen obrien's in rocky is on the bruce h'way.
a lot of screens broken on this road, and they are there collecting.
had the work ute windscreen replaced there 2 weeks ago, and the amount of people walking in the front door, off the street, on way back south, was amazing.

ozz

paps01
16th August 2012, 09:15 PM
Don't know what happened to the prices on my original post (big brother)but WSO'B where $489.00 and National was $225 and the eventual rebuild on the starter was $148.00.

my third 256
17th August 2012, 08:33 AM
had mine replaced yesterday by instant windscreens $200.00 at their place
rang insurance cgu in morning and to organized 10 minuites later instant windscreens rings to make an appointment / how about today at noon /yep thats ok
picked up at 3.00 pm fantastic
stephen

MQ MAD
17th August 2012, 09:47 AM
Just goes to prove you have to shop around
There was some thing on the idiot box the other week about larger retailers overcharging due to their overheads and their big advertising budgets they have to recoup,and the smaller less prominent retailers can and do way better deals

The days of way overcharging should be a thing of the past , but seems theres a few who need it now and will pay at any cost ....

threedogs
17th August 2012, 01:03 PM
could never support National in Airport West Melb. Failed to show up 3 days in a row finally did but with wrong screen. rebooked to have it fitted a factory, missing bits of moulding used self drilling screws through vent panel near wipers straight through into top of guards, not sealed right. they re booked to have done at my place. told them to remove screen and fit properly not just trim rubber. all done happy camper you'd think. the PR&%#ks fitted 2nd hand screen. did not pay much for screen, so let it go other than make a scene. never again. no one there knows what they're doing. Ride shotgun for a week and hey presto I'm a windscreen fitter, not

happygu
18th August 2012, 11:09 PM
I was speaking to a windscreen fitter who replaced my windscreen a while back for a roadworthy, and he said to me that some of the cheaper replacement screens are made soft on the outside and harder on the inside, so that they meet the required strength, but chip and pit earlier and easier, to ensure another replacement screen in the near future. He also said that the original screens are made harder on the outside and softer on the inside so they last longer.

it may or may not be that some of the dearer quotes are using better quality screens, but the old adage is that you normally get what you pay for.

Take that as you will, as I am no expert, and don't have any connections with the windsreen fitters trade.... it could be bull....

97_gq_lwb
18th August 2012, 11:26 PM
I have seen this add on gumtree if your in sydney it might be worth trying.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-region/automotive-services/cheap-cheap-windscreens-/1005739357

On another note i priced a windscreen rubber for a gq a few years back at spectrum rubber and they wanted $200 and at windscreens obrien it was $63 though i got the windscreen done off a mobile guy at the time for about $160 cash