PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery Isolator

reactbob
16th August 2012, 04:57 PM
Hi Guys

About 3 years ago I was given a GSL SBI-100A 12v dual battery isolator which I couldn't use because I had a 24 volt Diesel MQ, so now I have a 2.8 GQ and I would like to install it but I cant find a circuit diagram for it have searched on the net to no avail. Does anyone have a circuit or can tell me how to connect it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards bob

GRA.GU
16th August 2012, 05:25 PM
Try this Bob. http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hints/-/basic_sbi_install
Cheers.

reactbob
17th August 2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info Gra.gu, the Redarc one is slightly different than the one I have and I don't know if the wiring is the same I would hate to blow it up.

Regards Bob

the evil twin
18th August 2012, 01:25 AM
Cranker +ve goes to the "Main"
Aux +ve to "Aux"
Blk ring terminal goes to earth
Blue is for override or emerg start or whatever. It needs a +ve input from the Aux Battery +ve to hold in the VSR.
Wait a minute or two and crank.
They recommend a "momentary" switch but that is just so you don't forget or inadvertently leave it on.

That one you have is possibly superseded now ... if you need to, ring GSL on (02) 9620 9988

reactbob
19th August 2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks Evil Twin mine is a little bit different I have the blue wire the black ring wire and there is a red ring wire that is bolted to one of the heavy duty terminals on the solenoid. Do you know if the main battery or aux battery positive goes to the one with the red wire attached. I have already spoken with GSL they have no paperwork for this model as you say it is superseded x two now they were very helpful in trying to locate instructions for me.

Regards Bob

the evil twin
19th August 2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks Evil Twin mine is a little bit different I have the blue wire the black ring wire and there is a red ring wire that is bolted to one of the heavy duty terminals on the solenoid. Do you know if the main battery or aux battery positive goes to the one with the red wire attached. I have already spoken with GSL they have no paperwork for this model as you say it is superseded x two now they were very helpful in trying to locate instructions for me.

Regards Bob

The Red wire is the hi/lo cutout sense voltage input to the VSR. As you say it is connected to one terminal already and that is the terminal for the Cranker or Main Battery +ve.

So just to be sure
Cranker battery +ve to the large terminal with the small red wire
Aux Battery +ve to the other large terminal
(use 2 B&S if you winch or start of the Aux and 6 or 8 B&S will be fine if it will only ever be a charging circuit)
The blk wire has to go to earth
The blu wire is the "override" and is optional in you can
leave it disconnected,
put a switch in the cabin or under bonnet,
have another short fly lead off the Aux +ve terminal and connect only when you need to.

To test if you have it all working OK.
Engine off
Measure both battery voltages if you have a voltmeter otherwise use the LED
Start Engine and check the LED on the Relay (pretty sure the GSL's have one)
Measure both batt's with engine running, they should be 13.8 to 14.5 ish (IE whatever your Alternator puts out) and only a very small difference between the two eg 14.20 and 14.18 and not, say, 14.2 and 12.7
Turn off engine and turn on headlights
Measure the main battery voltage (it will start to drop) and at around 12.4 to 12.5 or after a short period if you have no voltmeter the relay will disengage.

In normal day to day operation don't be worried if sometimes it takes up too a couple of hours for the relay to drop out if you have good condition high capacity batteries. If theer is no load on the Battery circuits the voltage can stay higher than 12.5 for yoinks which is why you need to load it down to test it.

(Don't get confused about using the headlights and the Main as that last bit is just a 'bushies' way to test the VSR will drop out. It's usually easier and quicker than loading up the Aux battery to try and drop the surface charge volts on the batteries after the engine has been running)

reactbob
19th August 2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the help evil twin, that is the best explination I could have gotten, It even makes sense for a dummy like me, once again thanks for the help.

Regards Bob