PDA

View Full Version : 50.9 kilowatts??

Stusgq
15th August 2012, 05:06 PM
Hi guys/girls,
forgive me if this has been asked/discussed before - I have tried searching through threads and had no luck finding the info I was after.
I have just had my injector pump replaced with an exchange unit through MTQ. Part of the process is a dyno tune for pump timing etc. The result was showing my mighty TD42 with headers and 2 3/4 mandrel exhaust running on 33's is producing an equally mighty 50.9kw.
Question - is this ridiculously poor performance? Is my engine that tired? ( I was looking to turbo very soon but might have to rethink options) I was under the impression that from factory they are around 85kw. Obviously I would expect it to have lost some power due to age and 300000kms.
Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers:frown:

Winnie
15th August 2012, 05:19 PM
That 85kW is at the engine. You were measuring 50kW at the wheels, you lose a bit through the transmission (more for auto) and drive shafts. Bigger tyres = less power. 50kW is probably not as bad as you think it is.

Tappa tappa

Petit caillou
15th August 2012, 05:20 PM
Hi Stusgq,

Maybe you can take measurement of each cylinder compression to check if it's all ok in this way.

Regards
Petit caillou.

Petit caillou
15th August 2012, 05:24 PM
That 85kW is at the engine. You were measuring 50kW at the wheels, you lose a bit through the transmission (more for auto) and drive shafts. Bigger tyres = less power. 50kW is probably not as bad as you think it is.

Tappa tappa

Hi Kristoffa,

50.9Kw vs 85kw is around 66% less, not sure that 33" are 66% bigger than original tires sizes,...

Best regards
Petit caillou.

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2012, 05:25 PM
Yep that is expected to be honest. Put a Turbo on it and you will see between 85 and 95RWKW running 33s no trouble at all.

When i drove my GQ TD42 in to the Dyno with an MTQ Turbo and 11psi first run i had 65 RWKW when i left i was pushing 90RWKW..

I bolted the turbo on at 350,000. Dont be shy mate. As Petit said, get a compression check if your concerned but go for it.

Winnie
15th August 2012, 06:32 PM
Like I said mate, the reading of 85kW was recorded at the flywheel. There were absolutely zero losses through transmission, driveshafts, tyres etc... Your figure was measured at the tyres, so it did have all these power losses. These all add up and losing around 30kW is expected there.
Add on top of that the age of your engine and it's a very realistic figure.

Ben-e-boy
15th August 2012, 06:55 PM
that is about what a stock 4.2 diesel should be running,(70 hp ish) are you by any chance still using the pre filter? if so that can be removed and just use the main filter you will see a noticable gain.
before mine was turboed I had a pump tune,snorkle,extractors, 2.5 exhaust and a K&N filter and it made 64kw at the wheels.

97_gq_lwb
15th August 2012, 07:13 PM
A turbo does wonders for them even increasing fuel economy.
It's funny mentioning the pre filter i have seen people spend thousands with intercoolers ballbearing turbo's etc and they still have that restrictive pos pre filter on and i think to myself wouldn't that be a big restritcion.
I fitted a zd30 one myself.

Stusgq
16th August 2012, 08:40 AM
cheers guys.
Feeling better about it all now. Talked to a couple of people last night and they have confirmed what most of you have said - 85kw at the flywheel does not mean real world reading. Apparently 51kw at rear wheels with 33's is not to bad - this is a good argument for me to put to the minister of war and finances for a turbo.
I am running a finer filter in the main housing, no pre filter at all.
Cheers again all.

macca86
16th August 2012, 11:03 AM
I was under the impression a loss of a third of flywheel power was acceptable is 100 hp flywheel is 66 hp at the wheels even more loss with big wheels in getting 121.4 hp at the wheels with ny zd30 on 31's

DieselSmart
16th August 2012, 01:46 PM
51 is fine for a car that's meant to have 85 at the engine....
you lose about 30-40% through driveline depending on diff ratios, tires, auto/manual... there are so many factors to take into account...... The best thing about the dyno is to show gains.. So if I put a car on the dyno it makes 85rwkw then I put my Diesel Smart module on there and it makes 115RWKW I can see that there is a gain.... it doesn't matter where you put it on the dyno the % gain will always be the same.