PDA

View Full Version : Panhard mount chassis crack strengthening kit fix

97_gq_lwb
15th August 2012, 09:32 AM
I have one of the early gq chassis strengthening kits here the one that was fitted to stop chassis cracking on the early gq where the panhard rod mounts it attaches to the steering box bolts etc.

Anyway i was offered $120 for it some time ago but wasn't sure if i needed it or not so kept it.
Is it worth fitting to my 97 model or should i just flog it off on fleabay.
Has anyone ever cracked a later chassis around the panhard mount on a later model ?

threedogs
15th August 2012, 09:36 AM
Inspect your chassis for cracks, if it appears ok, flog it, thats a lot of fun vouchers
never heard the GQ had chassis problems
If it hasn't cracked by now, reading about your driving style, it never will

nissannewby
15th August 2012, 11:01 AM
Yours being a 97 should be fine mate. The very early ones i think up to 91 or something had issues with this mount and was recognised by nissan themselves. I give my GQ a pretty good hiding sometimes, it has a 5" lift, and I havent had any issues with the mount at all so far. I would sell it use the coin for another mod :)

MC97GQ
15th August 2012, 11:07 AM
Not quite the same thing but in a similar vein, Check around the sway bar mounts on the chassis(near the front shocky), my mate and I replaced his front springs, bushes and gave it a general grease when we noticed that where the sway bar mounts onto the side of the chassis there was a crack around the mount.

Not sure if it is just his truck(95 GQ Leafy)cab chassis but it might be something for us all to keep an eye on.

Mark

97_gq_lwb
17th August 2012, 12:18 PM
Not quite the same thing but in a similar vein, Check around the sway bar mounts on the chassis(near the front shocky), my mate and I replaced his front springs, bushes and gave it a general grease when we noticed that where the sway bar mounts onto the side of the chassis there was a crack around the mount.

Not sure if it is just his truck(95 GQ Leafy)cab chassis but it might be something for us all to keep an eye on.

Mark
I was dismantling a leaf spring diff the other day and noticed cracks near the bottom front shock mounts on the plates that hold the u bolts.