PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Saudi

cgm
15th August 2012, 04:28 AM
Hi All,

A quick hello from Saudi. I am an Aussie originally from country Vic, but living and working now in Saudi. Just "upgraded" (hard to admit that just yet after enjoying for many years taunting Nissan and Toyota owners :) ) to a 2001 4800 Patrol Wagon. My old Isuzu Trooper (Jackaroo) is still going strong, but it has done 300k now and I got a chance to pick up the Patrol as a friend was leaving. I know a reasonable amount of the history of the vehicle, which made it attractive to buy. The Patrol has only done about 190,000 km so I'm hoping it has a bit more left in it yet.

I don't expect to be a big poster, but I enjoy being able to search all the forums and as I make a shift to a vehicle I have no background with I'm sure I'll have a few questions from time to time. Seems to be a pretty active forum, so looking forward to the learning curve. Once I get a few photos together and get a bit organised I'll put up a bit of the car. It was completely stock when I got it and I've just done the "easy" stuff so far (i.e. someone else installed it all) - Ironman Suspension with airbags in rear springs, Ironman bullbar, second hand Warn XD9000 winch and moved across my old homemade roofrack from the other car (did that myself :p).

The sand pit we get to play in here on the weekends is awesome, so I'm really looking forward to making the most of what I expect is a really capable car. Even better, here I can afford to run it (fuel is the equivalent of about 12c/litre Aussie).

Thanks,
Cameron.

Petit caillou
15th August 2012, 04:39 AM
Hello Cameron,

nice introduction, I think you take a lot of fun to come on the forum, I'm not Australian, but I talk to nice people on this forum.
You have the chance to fuel prices, here in France taken is 1.67 AUD per liter of diesel and petrol on 1.90 AUD.

So, welcome to the forum mate.

Regards
Petit caillou

MEGOMONSTER
15th August 2012, 06:03 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Bigrig
15th August 2012, 06:59 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Dingo55
15th August 2012, 07:49 AM
Hi Cameron, welcome. You'd be at home as a Victorian in Saudi - they drive like nutters :-). Was there in Apr 03 & had eyes on stalks when driving around Riyadh & to PSAB.

Dhuck
15th August 2012, 08:09 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

growler2058
15th August 2012, 09:02 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

threedogs
15th August 2012, 09:16 AM
welcome mate nothing like a country vic boy with his own tea towel,
you'll love it here even if just for a chat in the wee hours,
plenty of info and a great bunch of people as well enjoy.

yeah right Sand Pit. Whats the best sand tyre IYO

AB
15th August 2012, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

White Elephant
15th August 2012, 01:17 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate. Enjoy your stay! Great intro!

Winnie
15th August 2012, 01:20 PM
12c/L for petrol!?!?
That's it boys, I'm moving to Saudi.

the ferret
15th August 2012, 01:27 PM
Welcome Cameron, you may have a good sandpit to play in, but we have the MUD!!
Cheers, the ferret.

cgm
15th August 2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks Guys for the warm welcome. Look forward to be able to be part of the "community". Thanks, Cameron.

cgm
15th August 2012, 05:38 PM
welcome mate nothing like a country vic boy with his own tea towel,
you'll love it here even if just for a chat in the wee hours,
plenty of info and a great bunch of people as well enjoy.

yeah right Sand Pit. Whats the best sand tyre IYO

Hi threedogs, thanks for the welcome ...

"Whats the best sand tyre" - could start a big argument straight away here - everyone has their own opinion. :)

All the usual stuff really applies - taller tyre with more surface area when flat, etc. Some reckon tall thin, others wider. From my observation I've had wider tyres as a path to get a taller tyre (i.e. on the Trooper going to 265/75/16 or now on the patrol I've gone for 285/75/16). There is no doubt the "bigger" tyres make a noticeable difference in the sand. The first time I changed to much bigger tyres on the Trooper I felt invincible as the difference was obvious, but it didn't take long to get stuck. The really soft sand does that ... evens out most vehicles. :)

My friends have always tried to go for highway tyres with very little chunky tread. Nothing very scientific about that decision (unless reading 100 different forum wars on what is best counts). Mostly the commercial sand tyres are big tall/balloony type tyres with a very simple tread on them. They seem to work as you see lots of old Mercedes trucks carting water around in the desert where you wouldn't expect it, without using those tyres.

For me just now I had this big debate - I wanted to go with 33 inch tyres (285/75/16) and could only get them in an A/T pattern - so what's better a bigger tyre with chunky tread or a slightly smaller tyre in highway tread? Tough one - went mad trying to read all the different threads on this topic ...

In the end I went with the A/T in the bigger size, hoping the deflated footprint was more important - with the overriding point that the bigger tyres just look much better on the truck :)

Thanks,
Cameron.

cgm
15th August 2012, 08:05 PM
You'd be at home as a Victorian in Saudi - they drive like nutters :-).

Hi Dingo55, Thanks for the welcome. They still drive like nutters (maybe that is too polite) but I never realised until now that the reason I seem to manage is because I was from Vic - Ha Ha :P

Maxhead
16th August 2012, 06:28 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

..........on the move

Finly Owner
16th August 2012, 10:36 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Cameron

Tim

Woof
17th August 2012, 01:03 AM
Hey Cameron, great to see that you finally got here......................to many forums around these days eh mate...ROFLMAO

cgm
17th August 2012, 03:57 AM
Hey Cameron, great to see that you finally got here......................to many forums around these days eh mate...ROFLMAO

Hi Dogman, Good news is that it looks like I'm in the right place.

Sent two requests for help to the others and haven't got any response. Maybe they'll still help, but probably not relevant now. Thanks for your prompt answer and very happy to get a warm welcome from the whole group.

Thanks,
Cameron.

thaikimber
17th August 2012, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and have a nice day.

NissanGQ4.2
19th August 2012, 07:08 AM
Welcome 2 the forum Cameron

Great bunch of members on here always willing to help out where they can,

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Cheers

Todd

OhBugger
19th August 2012, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, it's been a great help allready