PDA

View Full Version : Empty all coolant?

growler2058
14th August 2012, 11:27 AM
Knowledgeable Trollers, need a bit of advice. I've had a search on tappacrap but alas can't find what I'm looking for
After I drop both hoses how do I get the rest of the system drained block/head etc??? Do I need to run the engine??

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

threedogs
14th August 2012, 12:02 PM
Used to turn the key for a quick run on last 4b, did no harm, quick squirt with hose.
Don't think you'll get the lot out though.

taslucas
14th August 2012, 12:16 PM
Are you trying to drain it dry or just get rid of the old coolant before a freshen up?
You can run the hose through it to flush and remove all old coolant leaving only a small amount of fresh water in there afterwards, then add new coolant and I'd say the small amount of fresh water in there won't be enough to dilute the coolant. Or if your mixing it yourself, just make it a poofteenth stronger....

Tap, crackle, pop

growler2058
14th August 2012, 12:20 PM
When i dumped the radiator hoses it seemed it only dumped what was in the radiator ie only took 5ltrs to fill and the gregory manual says coolant system holds 17 ltrs or something like that

White Elephant
14th August 2012, 12:22 PM
Pretty sure if you turn the heater to the on position, that will help to drain from the hoses in there. I have a backflush tool that I bought to drop my coolant and reverse flush. I think it was about $80 from memory, but a lot of people make their own. Even running the hose through will help to push the old coolant out.

Edit-Also what lucas said.

growler2058
14th August 2012, 01:17 PM
Beauty I'll give it a go. Only the radiator dumped so I was wondering if there could be an air lock but that heater could be the issue. An
I better off doin it hot? Bare in mind what I did to my lawn with hot sump oil it's still fubar there

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

White Elephant
14th August 2012, 01:22 PM
I don't think it really matters if you do it hot or cold mate, others may have differeing opinions. The other thing that can release an airlock is a bleed screw. Not too sure which motor you have, I have the 2.8TD and there is a rubber cap on one of the heater hoses up near the firewall on the drivers side, once that is off it releases the air lock on mine. I think the tb42's have one on the thermostat housing. Not to sure about the TD42's though.

Oh and the coolant will probably eat your lawn regardless mate, so try and catch as much as you can in a bucket or drum or sumink! :) I have one of those $5 flexible buckets from Supercheap which i find awesome for dropping the fluids out.

97_gq_lwb
14th August 2012, 01:24 PM
their is a 12mm head drain plug on the back of the block on the passenger side when you undo it heaps more will come out the block holds 5 litres or more.
Heres a pic i stole from google images
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh88/coxsy_bucket/100_2578.jpg

MC97GQ
14th August 2012, 03:59 PM
Growlers,

It would probably pay to remove the top thermo housing and pull out the thermo as well, this will also create an airlock as the thermostat will be closed if the coolant is cold.

Mark

nissannewby
14th August 2012, 08:40 PM
As above in the pic and also to removing the thermostat. You can run the hose through different sections for example place hose in thermostat house your hand over water pump intake and let the water push out the block drain and so on and so forth.

robbo0001
14th August 2012, 09:02 PM
I have a backflush tool that I bought to drop my coolant and reverse flush. I think it was about $80 from memory, but a lot of people make their own. Even running the hose through will help to push the old coolant out.

Any pictures or more info mate?
the one thing I have always actually payed for (cos I can never be sure I have got all the old coolant out)...is to get some HOT water back-flushed through the system via Natrad etc, my reasoning is it needs to be HOT to get the thermos to open (some cars have 2 or more) and backwards to get the gunk dumped out.

About to get the other family bus (kia wagon) done....a new tool in the shed may be justified in this case (sorry for hijack):1087:

nissannewby
14th August 2012, 09:05 PM
You can use an air blower and some hose adapted to it kind of like a paint spray gun with a pot the air moves over a orifice drawing the fluid and then pushing it out at a higher pressure. Hope this makes sense.

growler2058
14th August 2012, 09:51 PM
Ok thats tomorrows task then!! Cheers fellas!

White Elephant
15th August 2012, 12:59 PM
Any pictures or more info mate?
the one thing I have always actually payed for (cos I can never be sure I have got all the old coolant out)...is to get some HOT water back-flushed through the system via Natrad etc, my reasoning is it needs to be HOT to get the thermos to open (some cars have 2 or more) and backwards to get the gunk dumped out.

About to get the other family bus (kia wagon) done....a new tool in the shed may be justified in this case (sorry for hijack):1087:

Something like this-> http://usatoolsinc.com/coolingsystemsbackflushtoolthe356.aspx

I got mine from a Covs auto parts store. There are probably similar ones on ebay and the like, but I can't access those links from here(i'm at work)it's essentially compressed air and water, I have seen some people just plumb an airline into a brass or plastic water nozzle. It's a very basic tool, nothing too complex about it. :)

There are plenty of DIY threads on the web that will give you ideas on the best way to flush your vehicle too. I would do a search and copy some links for you but again, I'm kinda restricted as to what I can look for atm. :) Hope this helps.