PDA

View Full Version : Spare tyre positions.

BG0067
14th August 2012, 09:50 AM
I have been reading another thread about doing the simpson in winter 2014.

And it got me to thinking. what are peoples thoughts on spare tyre positions on the vehicle.

I see a lot of vehicles with the dual carriers on the rear and they get mentioned a fair bit on the forum.

We currently have a '98 'Troll with a roof top tent fitted and I was looking at putting another set of racks across the front of this and putting the spare up there on on a purpose made bracket.

I've been told the patrol can safely carry a 100kg of weight up there whilst moving - But I'm hoping a spare tyre and roof tent which will be the only stuff up there won't come close to this. Most of the gear and supplies will be carried in the vehicle as there will only be the 2 of us and from the front seats back will be converted to a secure cargo area.

threedogs
14th August 2012, 10:06 AM
If your are removing the rear seats , you might consider my set up.
I've only removed seat behind the driver to fit the Engel on a platform.
power is from cig and hella plugs on rear of the centre console. My spare wheel is mounted internally using the bolt holes from the seats on wheel arch.
You could put drawer system behind the passenger.
false floor in the rear.
I'm making a rear internal roof storage rack soon to hold all light items like bedding or coats

You will find it a pain in the RRRS getting spare from the roof and putting one up there'.
Who's gunna help if you do your back half way across the Simmo.
Keep all heavy items as low as possible.