PDA

View Full Version : I'm still alive!

GQPorkroll
12th August 2012, 09:15 PM
Hi Forum,

Sorry I've been so quiet lately, ive had a lot going on.

Progress update on my patrol.

Last time I was here, it was momentarily cutting out and I was searching for a reason. After removing the radio noise suppressor, replacing some dodgy wiring, fitting a new coil and ballast, as well as an extended rotor button, plug leads, plugs and dizzy cap, I cut the wires to the gas safety switch and problem was solved.

Anyway, the car went to my auto elecs for a new AC compressor to be fitted. That jobs done and I now have beautiful cool air in my truck.

Got it home, fitted a new rear bar with proper recovery hooks (which has presented another problem, need to take it to a machine shop to have a hole cut for my gas filler)

Fitted rock sliders to replace the alloy steps and also bought a tubular winch bar for the front along with a bash plate. I've ordered a new Mean Mother winch (mates with the sales rep) and will throw that on soon.

I fitted a full length roof cage, with 4 lights on the front (only decoration at the moment) but may eventually swap them over to fog lights so they serve a purpose. I also fitted a reverse light bracket from Ferret, scored a new 15" 35 for a spare off eBay for $65, threw a cover on it and bought a checker plate step that wraps round the tyre and is secured by a ratchet strap so I can step up onto the roof basket. Serves another purpose, it prevents the rear door from opening unless its removed. When I park out front, I cable tie the ratchet mech so that it will slow them down if they try to break in.

Next, I bought a set of drawers and fridge slide from a 80 series off eBay and modified them to fit in my truck, clear my cargo barrier and the rear door frame. Took a day to do, but well worth the effort.

I've also upgraded the headlights to 55w 7000k HID's (which are awesome) a fitted 2 x 100w 4300k conversion kits to my 2 spot and 2 spread Narva bull lights. There will be awesome light when they're finished! They were close to finished when some prick knocked off a spot light reflector and globe, so I need to source a new globe, some loctite and razor blades. I also have a camera to fit, its motion activated, so will catch someone out if they come back, plus also will capture some idiots as I drive.

Next up, I had a 350 Holley fitted with a new positive converter for the gas, and fitted a new muffler after a backfire blew the old one a new exit point and also fitted a Crane Cams electronic conversion to replace the old unit, it is absolutely BRILLIANT. The truck has LOADS more torque, runs exclusively on gas due to having 5 times more spark from 0-1500rpm (apart from a sympathy petrol run once a week) and is honestly, like a brand new truck to drive.

More to come, but very very happy so far. Oh and a bloody vibrating massage seat cushion has improved my comfort out of site. It's hidden under a seat cover and is hard wired but by god it's good.

I scored a stock airbox and will modify that to suit the holley and then fit the stainless snorkel I purchased.

growler2058
12th August 2012, 09:23 PM
Good to see ya back in the arms of np.com.au mate :-)

NissanGQ4.2
12th August 2012, 09:34 PM
Vibrating massage seat cushion.....sounds like its time you need 2 down grade to one of those GU's

You got some pics up yet?

MEGOMONSTER
12th August 2012, 10:02 PM
How long have you been gone cos that's a list and a half you've completed.

threedogs
12th August 2012, 10:07 PM
Is that like a taxi seat cover, sounds like you've done a heap of work. 1 question why different colour lights? why not all say 7000k?
wheres the pictures????

Might of got 10 to life it IS a LOOOONG list indeed

GQPorkroll
13th August 2012, 12:00 AM
Well, I'm regards to the lights, the HID's in the main lights are 55w and at 7000k they have a blueish tinge. I don't mind this as it is good in rainy weather and fog.

The lights in the spot/spreads (4 total) are 100w and I went 4300k for a few reasons, first, because they're pure white. Second, getting anything above 4300k in 100w is either really expensive, or a lie. I trust the guy I bought from and have had no problems. I've seen eBay claims of 10,000k but they would be nearly purple and useless as a spotlight. About the brightest I've seen that I would believe is 5000k but for the extra gain the price is about triple the 4300k. They're in a 7" reflector too, so they push out real nice.

Downgrade to a GU, never! I love box and GU's are a bit wimpy, IMO. Plus then if I had a newer girlier 4WD the wife would want to drive it, her friend has a GU and she said it was 'cute'. Massage cushion is a compromise. I needed something for my stuffed back after work so it was either this or steal her car, so this solves the inevitable whinging.

Oh I also forgot, I fitted a new starter, I thought I had an alternator/battery problem as it was slow to start on cold mornings and eventually just started clicking, but after charging/testing/checking everything I swapped starters and it winds probably twice as fast as its ever wound as long as I've had it.

No pics yet, it's going back to auto lecs tomorrow to finish a few things off, then I'm fitting a new rear door, replacing the LHR lock mech (door won't open) removing the poxy side stripes and giving it a good clean up, then I'll get some pics. I don't actually have any pics at all on my iPad so I can't even give a teaser!