PDA

View Full Version : Winch Grinding Gears

teno45
10th August 2012, 09:21 PM
Evening Members!

After having the pleasure of winching out a brand new land cruiser two weeks ago, I grabbed the hand controller out again today, for something a little smaller. The Old mans Dingo Mini Excavator got stuck! Only a relatively small bog, but just enough to coat the wheels in mud.

The mighty Avenger TDS 12000 was more than enough for the job... Or so I thought!!! After finishing winching, I winched out a touch to slacked off the rope, unhooked, moved the dingo, then went to wind in the rest of the winch rope. All I got was the normal motor sound, and a horrible metal on metal gear grinding noise! Drum/Barrel didnt even move.

My first idea was to check the engage lever, still where I left it, engaged, tried to pull the rest of the cable out, nothing. Disengaged, got freespool. Re-engaged, locked again. Tried to winch in and out, still the grinding noise. Even tried winching in under load, still got nothing but terrible noises.

I've sent an email off to Avenger, will ring the place I bought it off tomorrow. Whilst the winch is still under warranty, and im not so keen on pulling it apart just yet, Does anyone else have any ideas what to try or what the problem could be?

Cheers, Brett

threedogs
10th August 2012, 09:32 PM
Sounds like the spool has moved or bent the end plates, warranty hopefully will fix it

teno45
21st August 2012, 09:00 PM
Turns out it was the drive shaft! Shattered the drive gear right off the end! Avenger got back to me the next business day, sent me the new parts a day later. Pulled it apart this morning, cleaned out all the old grease, put in the new drive shaft, regreased, rebuilt, runs better than new! Quieter, smoother and alot easier to pull on freespool!

Avenger were an absolute pleasure to deal with, very friendly, more than happy to give guidence over the phone when I wasnt sure on one section. Glad to see a company with good customer service!