PDA

View Full Version : Child restraint points

Kai
10th August 2012, 08:55 AM
Hey guys,
I have a 1990 patrol gq wagon.

Our first baby is due in 6 weeks
And I have been researching child restraint points.
So far I've determined my vehicle does not
Have factory restraint anchor points.

I have another car to get by if I don't sort this out straight away.
But I bought this vehicle to fit the family, dog and camping gear.
So we can still go away on trips.

I do have the tabs behind the third row seats for a crab bar(but I am missin the adjustable bar)
So my question is regarding the crab bar. Does anyone know if the crab bar can be used for the middle row of seats if it is placed at the rear of vehicle?
And also, there doesn't seem to be any paper work for the crab bar in the vehicle,
Can anyone shed some light on what to look for to see if this crab bar is an approved install.

Everyone in my area has different info.
So I'm just gathering whatever info I can.

Thanks for any help
Kai

AB
10th August 2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Kai,

There are bolt holes on the floor just behind the second row seats for the child seats to go in the left or right hand side of the second row seats.

You just need to buy of these below and bolt it in.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/31.jpg

AB
10th August 2012, 11:33 AM
Have a read of this as well...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2584-Child-anchor-point-locations

Kai
10th August 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys,
I have been reading up on slot of forums and posts,
My gq seems to be missing those anchor points.
It shows 3 across the back floor in my manual, but it may not be
The original manual for my patrol as mine does not have those either.

I have just been out having another close look and found one threaded hole
Behind each side, but right next to the inner edge of wheel well.
And the bolt from my anchor kit fits the thread. So I am one step forward.
Only issue with this point is that it does not line up directly with the centre of the seat. It's a few inches to the outside of the vehicle. But that looks like my only option before have to go down the crab bar route.

Thanks again guys.

Gonna head down to the child restraint fitters now and see what they say!

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 12:04 AM
I had a similar problem with my 99 but try putting the seat in and see how it goes as mine seem to fit a lot better then first anticipated.
Good luck with the seats as well as your first baby.
Cheers mate

NissanGQ4.2
16th August 2012, 06:11 AM
Scew drivers pointing to GQ child seat anchor points

DX grunt
16th August 2012, 07:03 AM
For West Australians, here's a fantastic link.

http://www.roadwise.asn.au/ccr

This is who I used to work for and used to be part of my job. I've been out of it for about 5 years, so I'm not going to give any advice.

If you have any further questions, please give them a ring.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Nozzle
28th August 2012, 10:46 PM
i had the same prob not lining up in the center it does fit ok just a bit skew
best so;ution was put the car seat in the MRS car and leave them at home LOL.....

Blownlc
5th September 2012, 07:52 PM
A have been through all this already! My wife has recently given birth to our third child. Two months prior to her arrival I decide to start sussing out the middle anchor point. To my surprise, there isn't one!! (Oh and we have an '05).
After a little research I find that because of the split in the middle seat it is not possible to safely install a car seat hence why an anchor point (or female thread) was not installed from factory.

Nissan told me that it was not possible in anyway to install a car seat in the middle. Typical, the the dealership knows the least out of everyone. After many conversations with numerous engineers and mods shops I finally found one who could do the job. It actually ended up being a pretty easy install for them. They first wanted to cut the floor and install mounting plates for the crab bar, which i wasn't too keen on. I suggested that they use the anchor points for the third row seats, as I have no intention of using them.

The final product cost me $810, which i was spewing about at first. But when In saw the final product it was well worth it. All was complianced and given the tick of approval by vic roads.

My old man gave me heaps about it when he found out. When he came with me to pick up the car after buying it, he says "has it got three child restraints?" "of course it does dad! don't be an idiot!" The final word from the old boy was "who's an idiot now? idiot"

threedogs
5th September 2012, 08:03 PM
Put some pics up if possibly, be interesting to see how they did it

the godfather
5th September 2012, 09:49 PM
I can say safely and without any doubt, and being a father of 2 wonderful lesser humans (12 and 14), I have found the best points to restrain a child are as follows:
1. Across the nose.
2. Across the throat.
3. Across and around the ankles
4. Across and around the wrists.

Joking joking. I would never do that. Good luck Kai...

timbar
5th September 2012, 09:54 PM
I can say safely and without any doubt, and being a father of 2 wonderful lesser humans (12 and 14), I have found the best points to restrain a child are as follows:
1. Across the nose.
2. Across the throat.
3. Across and around the ankles
4. Across and around the wrists.

Joking joking. I would never do that. Good luck Kai...

I would have to agree mate !!!!!

Silver
5th September 2012, 10:52 PM
one night our Nipper was being particularly feral at the dinner table. No surprise, as she was only 5 at the time. I said I would chain her up to the Hills Hoist and feed her dog food if she kept it up. 'Yes Please, Daddy' Grin.

So, next afternoon out comes the nylon coated steel cable, dunno, about 5 metres long, looped around the Hills Hoist, other end draped around her neck, eating pretend dog food from pretend bowl. So far, so good. Cable dumped on the ground to be put away later. Now, usually this kind of set up at our place ends up with an unexpected encounter with the lawnmower......... not in this case.

Later spotted a 7 year old doing laps at a fair speed around the clothes line. What does he have around his neck? the steel cable........... shudder. That taught me not to put my toys away :-) Happily he stayed upright until we brought him to a standstill.

Blownlc
14th September 2012, 05:18 PM
Heres the pics of the crab bar.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s429/blownlc/330eb104.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s429/blownlc/4a3d3bc7.jpg

P4trol
14th September 2012, 09:12 PM
Can you point out where the cup is?

Tipsy-tap

P4trol
14th September 2012, 10:53 PM
You've used artificial turf.

On a more serious note, Can you fit the crab bar (for the middle seats) if the back seats are also in use??

Clunk
14th September 2012, 11:03 PM
You've used artificial turf.

On a more serious note, Can you fit the crab bar (for the middle seats) if the back seats are also in use??

Not one of those but I'm wondering if someone makes them like a role bar, so the top sits just under the head lining, easy access to the 3rd row seats then

Tap till ya can tap no more.....

Blownlc
17th September 2012, 08:17 PM
Can you point out where the cup is?

Tipsy-tap

Cup?

Yes you can, but it would have a different mounting setup. It would most likely but welded/plate bolted to the floor just in front of the rear wheel arch. It would also need foam wrapping (like a roll cage)

Oh and I found the turf on a job, and though it would be great for when the dogs in the back. His fur doesn't stick to it and its easy to clean/vacuum. Also makes it easy to slide things in and out.

P4trol
17th September 2012, 08:22 PM
Golf turf installed = must be a cup hiding somewhere for putting practice

Tipsy-tap

Blownlc
17th September 2012, 08:35 PM
HAHA Ok got it. Nice. : )

Morton
27th September 2012, 11:41 PM
I had a third anchor point installed in my 02 GU, it was fitted up by the top of the rear doors, In NSW this is the preferred option, bolt took 15 minutes to fit, 3 minutes to approve by an engineer & cost $510, I paid the money cos I didnt want the wife saying "isnt our Daughters life worth $510", they had me by the curlys so I shutup & paid