PDA

View Full Version : switches that fit GQ/Mav cut outs

Silver
9th August 2012, 03:06 AM
G'day,

Bought this fog lamp switch from the local auto leccie, and it went neatly into the cut out.

I guess it is a standard DIN si2e?

I also don't know for sure which of the others are a neat fit - but if you are looking, hope this helps. The si2es are listed under more info, and the one I bought states opening si2e 34.5mm x 20mm.

Check out the Narva website under rocker switches.

The Narva Rocker fog lamp switch listed under the standard duty section slotted straight into one of the lower row of holes in the centre console of my Mav. http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/standard

momentary on or momentary off. these are also listed on the Narva site under Rocker Switches heavy duty, they are bigger, opening si2e 37 x21. http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/heavy-duty-3

No doubt there are others.

97_gq_lwb
9th August 2012, 08:19 AM
That's some great info they actually give you the dimensions unlike a lot of others .

Silver
9th August 2012, 09:20 AM
yeah, and the openings in Silver, which is a Mav, have a step in them for some reason.... so I'm thinking that a bit of file work or a dremel attack might let those heavy duty switches fit without too much drama, or looking too out of place.

MudRunnerTD
9th August 2012, 09:46 AM
You will find any Carling switch will go straight in to the slots too. Carling (ARB Style) are awesome. I ahvae a heap from this guy on eBay and rate his stuff highly. He does a Heap of Custom labelled covers to suit your needs in a number of colours.

Custom Rockers (http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/customrockers/m.html?hash=item231e7a6f90&item=150835195792&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562)

I have a full centre console of switches an have selected my Roof light switch in an Orange light so i can pick the switch in the dark amongst the others ;) Works a Treat!

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20gauges%20and%20stuff/IMG_0813.jpg

Love It!!

97_gq_lwb
9th August 2012, 09:50 AM
They look good if you replace all of your switches with them but next to the factory switches they look stupid imo have a lookc at the one in the dash cluster surround here.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/eighty88/DSCF0995.jpg

MC97GQ
9th August 2012, 11:49 AM
I too can vouch for Custom Rockers, Prompt reliable service and a great product.

Ian can also do custom labels on your switches for a nominal fee, he now also has new LED/laser etched rocker switches the look the goods.

But I've gotta say some of those Narva switches look good if you are trying for an original look.

TJsGQ
7th June 2013, 06:26 PM
In my gq patrol I have just put those arb illluminated rocker switches in and the covers don't fit they hit on that little step between the two rows.. Do I need to file the hole furthers up or trim the switch cover..? I'm sure some on with a gq has had this dhrama..?

MudRunnerTD
7th June 2013, 06:33 PM
In my gq patrol I have just put those arb illluminated rocker switches in and the covers don't fit they hit on that little step between the two rows.. Do I need to file the hole furthers up or trim the switch cover..? I'm sure some on with a gq has had this dhrama..?

have you got a pic mate?

TJsGQ
7th June 2013, 06:36 PM
Ill try post one in a minute but its just like the pic above.. The switch itself slides in just he cover hits on that lump between the two rows and I can't put it on the whole way

Bloodyaussie
7th June 2013, 06:40 PM
My switches are from Jaycar and fit perfect... dont have snazy writing on them but work just fine thanks!!

choochie
19th June 2016, 10:13 PM

Hey. Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I've found this issue today whilst installing my own switches. Haven't tried it yet but my thinking is the switch will seat perfectly fine if it wasn't for the front rocker button. So, theoretically, if you file off a few mm from the bottom of the rocker button, it should clear the molded lip on the dash. I'll try it tomorrow and if I remember will report back.

choochie
21st June 2016, 11:54 AM
Ok reporting back...
Trimmed a few mm off the bottom of switch face plate last night, and it now fits without fouling the lip. Easy mod.
FYI I used a cordless Dremel with a cutting disc, and sand paper to smooth the edges back to normal.

Will add photos tonight at home, as work blocks the vbulletin add on required to reply to a post!

threedogs
21st June 2016, 11:57 AM
Ok reporting back...
Trimmed a few mm off the bottom of switch face plate last night, and it now fits without fouling the lip. Easy mod.
FYI I used a cordless Dremel with a cutting disc, and sand paper to smooth the edges back to normal.

Will add photos tonight at home, as work blocks the vbulletin add on required to reply to a post!

I think Winnie has done this with his "Q" , you're right about the thread dig lol
good call on using a different colour for night time, Ive used an all red theme
so I better have a good memory of which switch is which eh lol