PDA

View Full Version : Snatch Blocks

Trolatron
8th August 2012, 10:57 PM
Myself and a mate were winching away last week and the rope on my winch kept slipping off the pully part of the block and went down the side between the side arms and the pully.
Is there a difreence between a wire and rope snatch blocks??
Can anyone recomend a better one ??

Please excuse the mud there.This came in the Ironman recovery kit I got 5 years ago.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3027/imag0267uz.jpg

the ferret
8th August 2012, 11:06 PM
Looks to me like she's had a fairly good stretching Mate, there should be minimal clearance between the pully and the block.
You have either been well and truly bogged, or the product is crap.
Belt it back in with a big hammer and weld some gussets onto it.
The rope/cable must always be in line with the pulley, sometimes, using a hook or shackle can throw it out of kilter and cause this problem.

Don't like the look of the product. Looks like Chinese crap!!
Cheers, the ferret.

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2012, 11:23 PM
Is there a grease nipple on the side that I can't see in that pic? Without lube in the centre bush she'll be workin real hard for sure!!

Might be time for a new one mate!

nissannewby
8th August 2012, 11:40 PM
Either there is an issue with the diameter of your rope (unlikely) Or the pulley isnt spinning which will cause the rope to slip off it.

Trolatron
8th August 2012, 11:43 PM
Yes there is a grease nipple on it. I have only used it once befor. I tried to get it to run in a vertical position but it kept laying on its side,like ferret said not the best quality,time for new one.

Come to think of it why is it called a SNATCH block when yanking on it is not a good thing to do..

Trolatron
8th August 2012, 11:47 PM
Either there is an issue with the diameter of your rope (unlikely) Or the pulley isnt spinning which will cause the rope to slip off it.

The pully spins ok by hand could be another story under load though.

megatexture
8th August 2012, 11:48 PM
yea looks bent to me id be putting it in the bin myself stuff trying to modify it the two i have would be lucky to have 2-3 mill clearance on both sides.

Trolatron
8th August 2012, 11:57 PM
I think ill have a look at the arb ones.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6726/imagescawsva79.jpg

megatexture
9th August 2012, 12:00 AM
ye have a look at the price then go buy from someone reasonable lol

04OFF
9th August 2012, 12:19 AM
When i was looking around for a Snatch Block , i noticed heaps (most i found at the common auto stores) of different brands had a large gap exactly like yours from new, some had bigger gaps than others.

I could foresee a rope getting caught in the gap, thus turning into a problem you would not discover untill too late, everywhere i asked said they have never seen a Snatch Block made just for rope.:frown:

So in the end, i hunted around for a snatch block with almost no gap, i got one with a large wheel (125mm) to give max surface area for the rope to grip, grease nipple, and also easy to pull apart and service after use in the sand.

The place i got mine do not sell the same type anymore so can't tell you exactly where to get one, but im sure ive seen the same sort of thing online before.

pooroll
12th August 2012, 12:51 PM
When i was looking around for a Snatch Block , i noticed heaps (most i found at the common auto stores) of different brands had a large gap exactly like yours from new, some had bigger gaps than others.

I could foresee a rope getting caught in the gap, thus turning into a problem you would not discover untill too late, everywhere i asked said they have never seen a Snatch Block made just for rope.:frown:

So in the end, i hunted around for a snatch block with almost no gap, i got one with a large wheel (125mm) to give max surface area for the rope to grip, grease nipple, and also easy to pull apart and service after use in the sand.

The place i got mine do not sell the same type anymore so can't tell you exactly where to get one, but im sure ive seen the same sort of thing online before.

Maybe you could post a picture of said snatch block so as to get some idea of the product your talking about or a link to something similar on Evilbay ETC

Cheers Corey

threedogs
12th August 2012, 01:05 PM
X2 with Newby here, I don't think they put a deep groove on the pulley block to except the cable. If you knew someone with a lathe maybe they could cut the groove on the pulley a tad deeper to hold the cable in place better

the ferret
12th August 2012, 01:42 PM

They have been making snatch blocks since Adam was a little boy lol.
The average sailing ship had a couple of hundred snatch and pully blocks, the snatch block is by no means a new idea
.http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/022.jpg

the evil twin
12th August 2012, 04:41 PM
The block in the piccy is a) made for wire rope and b) stuffed or at least looks like it from the angle of the piccy.

Unless you are familiar with rigging techniques... Buy your blocks (and shackles etc for that matter) from Bullivants, Slinglift, Nobles or any other lifting equipment supplier. You will get the correct advice, quality gear and usually a far better price.

I also am unaware of a block made 'specifically' for rope but there is a difference in sizing. The latest ARB blocks are IMHO too small for wire so I guess it could be argued that they are rope specific.

Blocks are "sized" for the dia of the rope they will be used with and also the dia of the sheave in the block is sized differently for wire as opposed to synthetic/natural fibres. Block useage is one of the areas where Dyneema etc is at a disadvantage because of all the choices for recovery ropes it will lay flattest and is therefore easiest to jam in a block between the sheave and the plates. That is also a reason why hawse's are recommended over roller fairleads for your winch.