PDA

View Full Version : How do I know

Fiftynow
8th August 2012, 02:26 PM
If the turbo on my 02 GU 3.0 litre has shit itself? Symptoms so far are, no loss of power, no smoke being blown but there is a rattle emanating from the engine bay. It only happens when travelling at highway speeds (so far). The turbo doesn't make the same sound it used to. Hard to describe really.

Anyway, back to the point..how will I know if my turbo is shot?

Thanks very much,

Brian.

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2012, 03:28 PM
It'll probably go BANG! ;)

Likely a dramatic loss of power, smoke all things bad. Lack of Boost will be the real indicator though. How long have you had the car? how well do you know it? have you done any of the NADS? do you have a Boost gauge?

Fiftynow
8th August 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi MudRunner, thanks for your reply. My young bloke, who is an apprentice mechanic, took the car to TAFE today and the instructor had a look at it. Apparently it is an issue with the EGR valve. I intend to get one of ferrett's blocking plates shortly and a new EGR valve. This, I hope, will resolve the issue. The long and the short of it is, that a temp EGR block off (made from gasket paper) had blown through and an air leak of some kind was causing the sound. I also intend to have a boost and EGT gauge fitted, can you recommend a specific one or are they all much of a muchness?

I hope this all makes sense, and thanks again for your help MudRunner.

Brian.

macca
8th August 2012, 04:28 PM
I hope you have found your problem.

A mate had similar issues in the weekend, we propped the air box open and it ran well. The snorkel was blocked! 2 handfull of leaves and sticks.

No more smoke and 20kph faster up a big hill near here.

Good Luck
Macca

Fiftynow
10th August 2012, 09:36 AM
Mudrunner, as far as the NADS goes, to date I have had and EGR block put in. Next cab off the rank will be boost and EGT gauges, but being a mechanical gimp puts all but the most basic jobs beyond my abilities so I'll need some assistance there. I have so many questions...lol.

Macca, I took the air cleaner out and it was was clean. Since the EGR block was replaced all seems to be working well again but I'm not going to leave it at that. As I said up there ^ I am going to go the NADS route.

Thanks MudRunner and Macca for your input.

macca
10th August 2012, 06:49 PM
Mudrunner, as far as the NADS goes, to date I have had and EGR block put in. Next cab off the rank will be boost and EGT gauges, but being a mechanical gimp puts all but the most basic jobs beyond my abilities so I'll need some assistance there. I have so many questions...lol.

Macca, I took the air cleaner out and it was was clean. Since the EGR block was replaced all seems to be working well again but I'm not going to leave it at that. As I said up there ^ I am going to go the NADS route.

Thanks MudRunner and Macca for your input.

Mate it was in the snorkel itself, trapped on a bend through the guard. Popping the air box let it breath and indicated a blocked snorkel...

Fiftynow
12th August 2012, 01:05 PM
Macca, after the EGR block was replaced everything was good again, maybe even a little better than before. Yesterday I removed and cleaned MAF sensor, and while there was a light film on the external surfaces, it was very clean.

Thanks again for your help mate, I appreciate it.

the ferret
12th August 2012, 02:13 PM
You won't need a new EGR valve if you are going to block it.
Cheers, the ferret.

Fiftynow
12th August 2012, 04:50 PM
Ahem.. Mr Ferret do you still have any of those plates for sale? If so I'd like one please. Can you please let me know how much and how you'd like me to pay. Thanks very much.

Brian.

the ferret
12th August 2012, 05:58 PM
Ahem.. Mr Ferret do you still have any of those plates for sale? If so I'd like one please. Can you please let me know how much and how you'd like me to pay. Thanks very much.

Brian.

PM sent Brian,
Cheers, the ferret.

macca
12th August 2012, 06:18 PM
Real pleased to hear you are on top of it, good result mate

Macca