PDA

View Full Version : dash cluster not working

jazgk
6th August 2012, 05:46 PM
im a little stumped and hoping someone might know something.
half way through a little fun in the mud over the weekend i noticed that none of the gauges and most lights werent working, but the dash light still working but no handbreak light, no 4 wheel drive light but high beam light still working, thought this was just a quick fix after i checked the fuses to find 2 blown, but after this kept happening and finding they only seem to go when i put the car in reverse, this is where i become really stuck for ideas.
Help anyone?

Yendor
6th August 2012, 06:18 PM
With the ignition on, do you have power at the fuse (both sides) for your meters and gauges?

Remove the fuse and inspect the prongs that hold the fuse, make sure they are not broken or have started to melt.

To the left of the fuse box is 3 relays (either blue or green in colour) inspect the wiring and the base for any signs of damage or melting.

If all this is ok swap the bottom relay (ignition) with the top relay (interior fan) and see if the interior fan now has the problem.

Also check the main earths from your negative battery terminal to the vehicles body and block, make sure they are clean and tight.

Let us know how you go with that.

Cheers Rodney

jazgk
7th August 2012, 11:43 AM
okay so after a lot of playing around and checking all the things i could think of, along with what you had suggested as well, turns out the jack in the rear of the car had moved and was sitting on top of the reverse wire causing it to short out and blow the fuses.
thanks for the help

Yendor
7th August 2012, 02:01 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were saying the gauges started working when you put it in reverse.

I didn't realise you were saying the fuse was blowing as soon as you put it in reverse.

Good work sorting the problem out.