PDA

View Full Version : VSC abd TC lights on and car lost power, Need HELP...... GU8

WogsRus
6th August 2012, 07:48 AM
Hi guys

So driving to work this morning I had an interesting experience and need some help. It has been pissing down with rain so on days like today i drive with the VSC turned off, as i have found that if you are going across an intersection and need to give it a boot to get out of the way, with the VSC turned on the car will die in the ass and crawl across thus not a pleasant place to be.

So this morning going to work, came into a round about a bit hard i suspect and the ass end came around, no biggie been there done that, stick the boot into it to control the slide and the car lost all power, both the VSC and TC lights came on, and the engine lost all power. Had to pull over, and turn the ignition of and on again and all good like nothing ever happened.

I know there is not many GU8's getting around the forum, but has anyone had this issue previously????

Will talk to Nissan after i plug the computer in to see if any error codes came up.

Maxhead
6th August 2012, 07:56 AM
Hmmm, sounds bit strange mate. I leave my vdc on all the time as it doesn't effect normal driving and only kicks in when flat out or hard on dirt.

Your vdc sounds like its to sensitive.

Good luck with mate

..........on the move

nissannewby
6th August 2012, 07:59 AM
Also sounds like you need to drive to conditions as well.

WogsRus
6th August 2012, 08:07 AM
Yeah like i said, a bit to exuberant perhaps, not the norm thats for sure.

BearGUST
7th August 2012, 09:13 AM
A lot of ESP/VSC systems stay switched on (in a less aggressive mode) even if you've turned them off.

WogsRus
7th August 2012, 12:48 PM
yeah i figured but still does not explain the complete loss of engine power

gowalkabout.com.au
9th August 2012, 09:19 PM
Was it a complete loss of power or just a short drop in revs? I have found every now and then when I go through the round about near the crescent hotel in north Hobart heading up hill I will lose a bit of power and the revs drop a bit. Have spoken to the Hobart dealer and even taken the head technician for a drive and was told it is most likely just the computer being to slow. Sounded like a bit of BS to me but the power loss has been loged with them. Let us know how you go

WogsRus
9th August 2012, 10:15 PM
Hi Mania, nope complete power loss nothing at all, had to pull over and restart the motor to make it go. Basically idle only no drive at all

Clunk
9th August 2012, 10:23 PM
It's a new fangled device that's fitted to deter people from hooning.............

Ok ok it's obviously not that, just wanted to be my usual helpful self and come out with a smart arse comment lol;);)

WogsRus
9th August 2012, 10:25 PM
Were all comedians around here....lol

Clunk
9th August 2012, 10:28 PM
Were all comedians around here....lol

It's al I've got mate lol

nissannewby
9th August 2012, 10:29 PM
Any chance it could have either over boosted or over revved in the situation you have described causing it go into limp mode?

WogsRus
9th August 2012, 10:41 PM
Most likely over boost, now i have an ultra gauge fitted and have notice 17psi in stock trim a few times, particularly pulling out in first from an intersection and so forth. So now will monitor it and talk to the dealer shortly. Definitely not an over rev, only hit 3.6k.

nissannewby
9th August 2012, 10:48 PM
Could even be a wheel speed sensor that may have tripped an overspeed and something small like that. Has it just been a one off occurrence?

WogsRus
9th August 2012, 10:52 PM
nope not happened before

nissannewby
9th August 2012, 10:56 PM
Its gonna be hard for anyone to diagnose if problem is not there. Im not sure if they do or not but hopefully the ECM stores any fault codes that occur and someone with the correct tooling can tell you what it was. Other than that I would just keep driving it.

WogsRus
9th August 2012, 11:01 PM
I checked for error codes, there was nothing there. And yeah i' still driving it.

nissannewby
9th August 2012, 11:04 PM
How did you check for error codes?

Yendor
9th August 2012, 11:09 PM
There was another thread at the start of the year. This vehicle (not a GU8) would only play up when it was wet, sounds similar to your problem.

It doesn't state if he got it sorted or not.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8358-Loss-of-accelerator-when-driving-on-wet-roads

WogsRus
9th August 2012, 11:13 PM
I have a full diagnostic software on my lappy, actually like 6 different programs ranging form ECU tech to ProScan and so forth, also have on board diagnostics with my ultra gauge

97_gq_lwb
10th August 2012, 12:35 AM
Definetely with clunk on this one take it back to nissan and ask them to disable the A.H.S .

Yendor
25th August 2012, 02:49 PM
How did you get on with this? did it get sorted?

Do you have an electric trailer brake unit fitted to the Patrol?

WogsRus
25th August 2012, 09:31 PM
Hi mate, noope have not got to the bottom of it as yet and yeah fitted with a P3 brake controller.

What is that? you found something?

Yendor
25th August 2012, 09:43 PM
Nope, just a theory.

I think it might be getting stray voltage on the brake light circuit, this might be caused by a brake control unit or even from the trailer plug when wet.

Does it only play up when it's raining? or after going through a creek crossing?

Maxhead
25th August 2012, 09:46 PM
Hi mate, noope have not got to the bottom of it as yet and yeah fitted with a P3 brake controller.

What is that? you found something?

I reckon Yendor is onto something. The patrol will cut all power to the vehicle if the brake is applied while accelerating(but still idle). Try it.

I had a P3 controller which would occasionally brake by itself and no trailer attached, the vehicle would then cut all power till I released the accelerator and hit the brake pedal momentarily.

Replaced the controller and no issues since.

Good test would be to hit the brake override on the controller while driving to see if it's the same problem

..........on the move

happygu
25th August 2012, 10:06 PM
Yendor, I think that you are definitely onto something with the brake controller.

I have never had a brake controller before, but remember reading about this same problem in a 3litre Di quite a while back, and it turned out that the same brake controller unit was causing the issues.

Mic

Ben gu8dx
23rd March 2014, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

I have just purchased a gu8 and am very new to patrol's coming from Jimmy's.

However my problem is very similar with the vdc and tc lights. After 20-25 minutes of driving the two lights will come on and stay on. If you turn the engine off and back on then they reset for again 20 -25 minutes before they come back on. The power loss is not there but the engine does rev slightly higher to maintain same speed.

The truck has been lifted and otherwise seems fine. Not sure why the lights constantly come on.

threedogs
23rd March 2014, 10:30 AM
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum, first jump over to the intros and tell us a
bit about yourself then post your question in the right section , you'll get a much better response
Just something the forum asks of us all,
Saves dragging up old threads