PDA

View Full Version : Glasshouse Closed

nissannewby
5th August 2012, 08:26 PM
I have been reading on other sites that our infamous glasshouse mountains is now off limits with it now being policed and rangers being involved also. I dont know how true it is but have also heard/read there are cameras that have been put up in covert positions to capture offending drivers. Does anybody have any info about this or heard anything the same?

It would be a shame to lose this place as well.

Bigrig
5th August 2012, 08:34 PM
Not sure on this one - heard it also, but considering Campbell Newman stated he's going to open all the tracks that the labour government closed (including state and national forests), it doesn't "appear" to be in line with the proposed government stance - until I see a camera, a ranger, and more importantly, a copper (can't see why they would get involved at all), when the online site still says "no permit required", then I'll still be heading there ...

If it does prove to be true, I'll be heart broken ... as will thousands of others ...

Forced Offroad
5th August 2012, 08:40 PM
It could be SPRINGMOUNTAIN, they have closed it off with Cameras and big fines.... A TJM personal here in South Brisbane side found out the other day the hard way with fines that hurt....

nissannewby
5th August 2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah basically what I have read is that you go on the main tracks which we use to access the good tracks and you must be a legal vehicle

04OFF
5th August 2012, 09:17 PM
It could be SPRINGMOUNTAIN, they have closed it off with Cameras and big fines.... A TJM personal here in South Brisbane side found out the other day the hard way with fines that hurt....

Could you please spare any more details without mentioning names of course ?

Forced Offroad
5th August 2012, 09:27 PM
Are you a member on outerlimts 4x4. It's on there fourm but you will need to join and from there I can send you the link.

robbo0001
6th August 2012, 06:37 AM
Was up there on Saturday....nothing major is shut. If you have a roadworthy and legal vegicle, with rego....shouldnt have any problems.
Dont by pass gates, dont create your own tracks, stay out of taped up areas and "play nice"......its pretty easy to have a good time up there without destroying the place, or running foulof the police or rangers.

There was NO signage to say anything was closed, apart from various gates and minor firetrails.
As per normal.
Its a massive area, so minor track closures shouldnt affect to many people.

nissannewby
7th August 2012, 03:41 AM
Have been watching this topic on other forums and the general consensus is its basically closed. Someone has a map of the area showing the NO GO zones which hopefully they will post and I can share.

I have also thought about trying to email people about this but unsure to where the best place would be to start. If all of this turns out to be true then it will be a down right shame.

robbo0001
7th August 2012, 06:12 AM
Quote copied from the same question on a Facepalm site.

Re Glasshouse Mountains 4x4ing;

Please be advised DERM are not in control of the forestry side of Glasshouse, HQ plantation has a 99 year lease hold and are the only ones who can shut off access to the glasshouse, I have spoken to them this afternoon and nothing (NOTHING) is being closed currently I was referred back to their website which clearly states the following to allow continued use of th...e area:

Visiting our forests is conditional on individuals at all times:

•Acting safely and responsibly
•Complying with all signage and road rules
•Driving and riding cautiously
•Being aware that forest roads are often unsealed, narrow and winding
•Driving to prevailing road conditions.

This is not "heard from a mate of a mate" this is going to the source and asking the question. DERM control all the sealed roads but that is where their control ends. Police are allowed at all times to be in forestry and to ensure all laws governing road use are applied including rego'd vehicles and modified vehicles are compliant.

Motor vehicle operators must hold a valid driver's licence and the motor vehicle must be registered. Vehicle access, including trail bike access, is restricted to formed roads. State Plantation Forest roads are subject to the same road rules and regulations as public roads and are often patrolled by police. If you drive or ride a motor vehicle on these roads in an illegal manner, fines and other penalties will apply.

Horse riding and mountain biking along fire lines and tracks is permitted unless otherwise signed. Unlawfully constructing tracks or modifying roads, tracks or fire lines is strictly prohibited.

State Plantation Forest roads may be closed during periods of adverse weather conditions or when public access presents an unacceptable safety risk. These forests are commercial forests and are subject to regular heavy vehicle movements. At all times (day and night) be aware of log trucks and commercial forestry machinery.

Visitors to State Plantation Forests should be aware that they are entering a natural environment, with all the hazards that this entails. Visitors should have contingency plans for breakdowns and other emergencies and be mindful that mobile phone coverage may be unavailable in these forests.

‎"07 5438 6666" is the contact number for HQ plantations beerburrum who manage beerburrum and glasshouse if you have any detailed questions. Fire breaks indicated by "blue marker on trees" is a no go zone if you want to be 100% correct, main alrady "FORMED" roads/tracks are ok, and enforcement action will be taken if you have proceeded past a sign stating there is logging or scientific research being conducted as previously stated. hope this clears some things up. But to close the original argument ************THEY ARE NOT CLOSING ACCESS TO 4x4 or Tail Bike USERS!!!!!*************"

nissannewby
7th August 2012, 06:17 AM
In that article it states "formed roads" the majority of the tracks that are used by 4wds up there are not formed roads. It will be good to get a hold of a map similar to the one that has "GO and "NO GO" zones like the spring mountain area has. Cheers for the repsonse.

robbo0001
7th August 2012, 06:29 AM
Basically, NOTHING has changed.
These rules aren't a new product, they are the same rules that have been applied to this forest area for several years.
Me...I will still drive around until I hit a gate or a ablue marker tree, then turn around.
In my regsistred, roadworthy and insured vehicle...and hopefully wont have any dramas.
The Powerlines, however, are apparently a completely diferent story.....the tracks under the HV transmission towers and the 100 metre cleared space either side are owned by the power supply authorites..havent heard anything about closures of these.

All I can honestly say is that, after going up there with my kids ,roughly, every second weekend for 6 months, I have NEVER been approached or pulled over by police/ rangers....in the forsets, on the main roads, under the powerlines. I will just keep plodding along until a ticket lobs up in the mail, or someone in authority lets me know what the drama is.

Bigrig
7th August 2012, 07:54 AM
Yep - as said, the rules have always been there .. drive responsibly, have a registered, roadworthy vehicle and it sounds like its business as usual.

Personally, if it means a bit of patrolling by the authorities to weed out the people dumping rubbish, going into gated off areas, and pulling up w@nkers, then I see it as a good thing for the vast majority of us who go there to actually enjoy the place without damaging anything but the occasional truck - and I've been there at least 25-30 times (a mate lives on the edge of the forest also) and every truck has driven out of the forest under its own steam ... gingerly at times, but driven none the less!! lol

nissannewby
7th August 2012, 10:45 PM
Ok I have been doing a fair bit of reading and research the last couple of days.

As it has been stated above the rules have always been there. It seems that someone has complained about the bikes and 4wds being there so the authorities have been bought in to police these rules. A cooling off period has been suggested by a few people which is probably a good idea.

So in conclusion it is still fine to drive up there as long as you dont go past closure or no entry signs, gated tracks and your vehicle is in a roadworthy and legal fashion.

Thanks guys for your comments and input. Happy days :).

waz65
8th August 2012, 09:38 PM
Ok I have been doing a fair bit of reading and research the last couple of days.

As it has been stated above the rules have always been there. It seems that someone has complained about the bikes and 4wds being there so the authorities have been bought in to police these rules.

So in conclusion it is still fine to drive up there as long as you dont go past closure or no entry signs, gated tracks and your vehicle is in a roadworthy and legal fashion.
So true and I also found this in my searches :
"Motor vehicle operators must hold a valid driver's licence and the motor vehicle must be registered. Vehicle access, including trail bike access, is restricted to formed roads. State Plantation Forest roads are subject to the same road rules and regulations as public roads and are often patrolled by police. If you drive or ride a motor vehicle on these roads in an illegal manner, fines and other penalties will apply "

Finly Owner
10th August 2012, 11:59 PM
OK, I tried to tell those who wanted to listen at the working bee, at Scotts'. " The 4wd association of Qld has been asked to advise the registered clubs to ask members to stay away from Glasshouse Mountians, until further notice. Some tracks are open for use, but until it is determined which ones are for general use and which are being repaired, it is best to stay away to avoid fines." It was also commented this has come about by some gun ho' 4wd drivers not leaving light footprints, but, rather digging out tracks and ruts by being clowns.

Although I as yet have not tried tracks anywhere, I do understand thewre is a difference in trying to climb a track with minimal damage to the existing track, and just ball tearing, wheel spinning track wrecking, BUSH BASHING, forest track vandalism!

So make your own choice, let them try to rejuvinate some tracks, so we can all return to all parts of Glass House Mountains, or continue to use these rutted out tracks and show that 4wders don't care, and have us all banned forever !!!!!!!!

Tim

PS sometimes being in a registered 4wd assoc club is good, to be informed of such requests, and save the old hip pocket from fines.

Poodog
10th February 2013, 11:26 PM
Ive in glasshouse all my life been riding motor bike in there since i was 10 or 11 and 4wd since i was 16 im 22 and go out every time im home from work never been closed only ever since a ranger/copper once and they were in the same car they will never catch ya anyway be funny to see them try but it dosnt matter any there classed as roads rego is all u need

Poodog
10th February 2013, 11:27 PM
Anyway*******