PDA

View Full Version : Gps navigation radio combo

paulvdw
5th August 2012, 04:53 PM
Hello all

Just looking for advice on the best stereo system for the GU patrol. Looking for something that does maps and reverse camera etc

Any info experiences

Cheers

oncedisturbed
5th August 2012, 04:58 PM
best one I have done so far is a 2DIN Eonon unit - cost was roughly $350 to the door. full reverse camera, GPS, dvd, tv and the rest of the gizmo's. easy as to install, just need and aearial adapter and aerpro wiring harness and can install from scratch in around 30 mins :)

I have put several different ones in from no-names and to brand names etc and these are by far the best without breaking the bank. They come with Sygic maps but you run any that use WinCE systems which covers memory maps and Oziexplorer as well

threedogs
5th August 2012, 05:01 PM
Paid $350 for double din unit with the lot, GPS soft ware is same as VMS.

paulvdw
5th August 2012, 05:13 PM
Cheers for the quick responses! Where's the best to buy?

threedogs
5th August 2012, 05:18 PM
Brought mine on Ebay, no trouble in 2 yrs, except chick telling me which way to go.LOL

2TROLLFAM
5th August 2012, 05:24 PM
Brought mine on Ebay, no trouble in 2 yrs, except chick telling me which way to go.LOL

LOL and what is wrong with that??

I got similar on eBay too - had mine a year, no brand name, cost $400 with radio, DVD, reverse camera, gps, Bluetooth for phone & music + iPod connector

oncedisturbed
5th August 2012, 05:29 PM
there are that many out there that it's not funny but as I put in my earlier post - IMHO the Eonon's are the way to go (not affiliated) run smoothly, clearer / cleaner pics, best in-dash mic I have used so far without an external mic.
http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/2-Din-Car-GPS-DVD/G2216.html is the 1 I put in the wife's car

Have trialled and installed roughly 8 different types of 2din units in mine / missus cars as well as other family members / mates cars as well and couldn't fault them

www.eonon.com they also have a ebay store as well

gu8 patrol
5th August 2012, 06:35 PM
ive got an orion avr 6.1,gps,hema mapping,dvd,4 cameras,bluetooth,ipod,apad connectivity,runs windows 7,best unit ive ever had

paulvdw
5th August 2012, 08:36 PM
Hi all. Bought one of eBay. $340. With camera. C1301A. Eonon. Will post some pics when I have it and install.

Are there any additional items I will need for the install into my GU patrol?

oncedisturbed
5th August 2012, 09:10 PM
antenna plug to change from Nissan 2 pin to standard antenna and an aftermarket generic Nissan wiring harness - $20 each (usually) and takes around 30 mins to swap over

paulvdw
6th August 2012, 05:37 PM
Where can I get the harness replacement from? eBay?

Cheers

oncedisturbed
6th August 2012, 10:26 PM
most car stereo places sell them - you are looking for the Aerpro brand or from this ebay seller if your GU is 2005 or newer otherwise you will have to go to somewhere like Strathfield car stereos or similar store

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PC2-72-4-NISSAN-PATROL-2005-ONWARDS-ISO-STEREO-HEAD-UNIT-HARNESS-ADAPTOR-LEAD-/150849509865?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item231f54d9e9

paulvdw
9th August 2012, 09:17 PM
Got the Eonon G2216 model.
Ordered plug for patrol 2005 onwards, is the plug between Nissan wiring to the radio plugs?

Is it just a plug and play?

Cheers

robbo0001
9th August 2012, 09:27 PM
Chinavasion.com http://www.chinavasion.com/ .....awesome service, great price.
Have one in the family wagon and another in the shed waiting to go in the Patrol, with roof moounted DVD screen and reverse camera.
Both double din GPS/DVD/ DVTB/ reverse camera/ bluetooth etc

Even get them with detatchable Android touch screen tablets, as a stereo face...bit hardcore for what we need, but there are some awesome option around.

IronSparks
12th August 2012, 01:16 PM
Try A-Sure out of Hong Kong. I had one in my Hilux and it was great.

the evil twin
12th August 2012, 04:52 PM
Chinavasion.com http://www.chinavasion.com/ .....awesome service, great price.
Have one in the family wagon and another in the shed waiting to go in the Patrol, with roof moounted DVD screen and reverse camera.
Both double din GPS/DVD/ DVTB/ reverse camera/ bluetooth etc

Even get them with detatchable Android touch screen tablets, as a stereo face...bit hardcore for what we need, but there are some awesome option around.

I've had the China Vison "Road King" in my truck for over two years and 60,000 K's now and it hasn't missed a beat playing tunes and running OziExplorer. I believe they run very hot if you play videos on them tho.

I'd happily buy another one or Eonon would be pretty much an equal first choice from the ones I have seen

Superoo
19th August 2012, 11:19 AM
ive got an orion avr 6.1,gps,hema mapping,dvd,4 cameras,bluetooth,ipod,apad connectivity,runs windows 7,best unit ive ever had

Hi, where did u buy your unit from?

Cheers.

Superoo
19th August 2012, 11:27 AM
Hi,
can u install Offroad maps e.g. Hema on the unit? Also how much will that cost me?

How good are the on road maps that come with this unit?

Cheers.

Alitis007
19th August 2012, 11:35 AM
I just installed an Alpine INA-W910R with all the bells and whistles its a bit pricy but comes with off rd tracks, havnt used them yet and not sure what type they are but its a standard feature on it .

oncedisturbed
19th August 2012, 11:42 AM
Hi,
can u install Offroad maps e.g. Hema on the unit? Also how much will that cost me?

How good are the on road maps that come with this unit?

Cheers.

If they run on wince then yes you can install memory maps running hema maps or ozice, mapping is good. Best to install the gps in the engine away from as much heat as possible to ensure a good signal.

Superoo
19th August 2012, 01:55 PM
I've had a look at the Eonon website that has a excellent video about the unit.
I will have to query what comes with the unit and the correct one for a GU Patrol 03.
The unit certainly looks the part, also thanks for the quick reply. ��
Cheers.

Ronin
19th August 2012, 02:14 PM
This Eclipse unit came standard with the Patrol Simpson edition.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/au/products/navigation/avn/827ga/

MainFeature

• 7” Wide QVGA Touch Panel Display
• GPS Map of the Australia/New Zealand
• DVD-Video, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, WMA Playback
• USB Connection for DivX, MP3, WMA, AAC Playback • Video Output for Rear Monitor • AV Input
• Ready for USB Direct Connection for iPod/iPhone • Ready for Rear View Camera
• Built-in Bluetooth® Wireless Technology for Hands-free and Audio Streaming(Parrot Bluetooth Built-in)
• Built in RDS-TMC (SUNA GPS Traffic Updates TM) • ESN (ECLIPSE Security Network)
• Voice Control (music search for USB/iPod/Hands-free and navigation destination search)
• Steering Wheel Controls(Built-in)

tricksgonefishing
5th September 2012, 01:58 AM
I just bought one of the eonon's It looked awesome. $350 with aussie maps. Cant Wait to put it in.

beexy
5th September 2012, 09:03 PM
hey tricks. where did you get that one from. and are they off road maps or just the standard street ones.
cheers

oncedisturbed
6th September 2012, 10:42 AM
Beexy, go to www.eonon.com and they have them all listed there.

They run WinCE so you can load Memory Maps / Ozi so the offroad maps can be used.

The units come with Sygic on-road maps but you can Igo etc from them as well. I bought the latest Igo on SD delivered for $20 and works like a dream

threedogs
6th September 2012, 11:50 AM
Here's my double din job. it has DVD,CD,USB,SD Card,GPS,Blue Tooth, DBV TV, reverse camera ready, iPOD, does other stuff I'm sure.
This unit has fixed screen which is what I wanted, easy to use. Alse got a 15" flip down DVD/TV screen from that eonon. was going to mount in the cargo area
of my GU. we'll see.

rusty_nail
6th September 2012, 12:15 PM
best one I have done so far is a 2DIN Eonon unit - cost was roughly $350 to the door. full reverse camera, GPS, dvd, tv and the rest of the gizmo's. easy as to install, just need and aearial adapter and aerpro wiring harness and can install from scratch in around 30 mins :)

I have put several different ones in from no-names and to brand names etc and these are by far the best without breaking the bank. They come with Sygic maps but you run any that use WinCE systems which covers memory maps and Oziexplorer as well

ill second this, value for money you cant go past it. i have installed a few of these and they are fairly straight forward. just remember to configure the port for the GPS antenna within the maps, and one other thing is try to find an Eonon unit with an external mike for the BT handsfree, the radio mounted ones are rubbish.

oncedisturbed
6th September 2012, 12:22 PM
external mic is the way to go but having said that, the built in mic in the wife's eonon unit leaves my external JVC mic to crap

Superoo
16th September 2012, 12:53 PM
Hi gu8 patrol, did the hema maps come with it or is that something u download later on?
Also was it difficult to install?
I have a GU 03 series 3 with the standard cassette deck radio.
Any answers would be great.

Cheers

oncedisturbed
17th September 2012, 04:59 AM
Supes, if you get a unit that runs WinCE - and you want to use HEMA maps - load either OziExplorer or Memory Maps into it.

Easy as to install - hardest / longest part is running the GPS receiver through to the engine bay

happygu
17th September 2012, 08:39 PM
I have the Eclipse Unit which comes in the latest Patrols - great unit but I expect it is a little pricier than the Chinese Ebay units.

Mic

Anaurath
17th September 2012, 10:03 PM
I have also the EONON, so I can confirm all said, good unit for the price. I also bought from the same ebay store the Monitor Headrests and the rear camera. They took 4 days to send it door to door.

tricksgonefishing
17th September 2012, 10:16 PM
Yep I got it from www.eonon.com
The maps are just the street ones but I will try to load Oz Exp on it when I get it set up. It was quick delivery. The misses said it turned up the other day but Im still at work so it will have to wait.

Moatmonster
18th September 2012, 04:16 PM
G'day all, just a couple of questions in regards to this topic.

1. I'm interested in this unit :http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G2216A-Eonon-7-Detachable-Car-GPS-Navigation-DVD-Stereo-iPod-Iphone4-RDS-Au-Map-/261018748751?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc5ee074f#ht_21222wt_1397
Is this unit along the lines of what you guys have ?
2. Would i still be able to use the steering wheel functions for this unit?
3.I have also just purchased these:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/C1037-2x9-HD-LCD-Car-Black-Pillow-Headrest-DVD-Player-IR-Headphone-n8-/290680865156?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43adee0184#ht_12002wt_1397
With all this bling, i would suspect i'am pretty close to pushing my alternator over the edge, is this a fair assumption?

Thanks in advance.

oncedisturbed
18th September 2012, 05:31 PM
The G2216 is what I installed in the wifes car and is awesome, the headrest screens will be no issue.

The steering wheel controls will depend on the type of conteoller that is used. IE a command / control wire or an infa-red type set up. If it is the wire type, it is a matter of chasing the correct wire and tap into it, if it is an IR version, you will need to go to stereo install mob and get an aftermarket unit installed and programmed to the same matching channel.

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Anaurath
19th September 2012, 10:22 PM
The one I've got is:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G2227A-7-LCD-2Din-Dash-Car-Sat-Nav-GPS-iPod-iPhone-FM-Radio-DVD-Player-Map-n8-/290728453123?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b0c42403

And by now it works beautiful!!

Anaurath
19th September 2012, 10:24 PM
Hi mate,

if you get something interesting on that, please let me know. I would like to know how to put those TOPO maps into another SD and to have the chance of using two set of maps!!!

Thanks in advance

Yep I got it from www.eonon.com
The maps are just the street ones but I will try to load Oz Exp on it when I get it set up. It was quick delivery. The misses said it turned up the other day but Im still at work so it will have to wait.

Moatmonster
19th September 2012, 11:27 PM
The one I've got is:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G2227A-7-LCD-2Din-Dash-Car-Sat-Nav-GPS-iPod-iPhone-FM-Radio-DVD-Player-Map-n8-/290728453123?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b0c42403

And by now it works beautiful!!

Hi Anaurath, do you have the steering wheel functions for the unit or did you not worry about it?

Dmwlking
20th September 2012, 07:08 PM
When you ordered the unit. Did it come with camera or is it extra.

Anaurath
20th September 2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Moatmonster,

My Patrol is a 98 GU, so doesn´t have the steering wheel controls. Otherwise the screen is tactile and pretty easy to use. So I do not really care about that.

Hi Anaurath, do you have the steering wheel functions for the unit or did you not worry about it?

Anaurath
20th September 2012, 10:07 PM
In my case I bought unit and camera separately. Sometimes they have some combos that you can choose. But I think not for this model. Take a look at their entire store.

I'm pretty happy with the unit it works pretty well and although I cannot assure that you are getting the same features than a "high level" Pioneer. Iphone sends audio directly linked through provided cable or even using through bluetooth. Free hands works also well (but still not able to know hoe to use the phone directory in the unit screen...).

I have to accept that is a normal GPS unit (usable for City purposes and road travels), obviously is not a dedicated Offroad GPS, but maybe in the future I get a Garmin as a complement, that way I can use it when trailing by food.

Hopefully Tricksgonefishng give us an update about if its possible or not to upload Oz Exp maps, and how to do it.

When you ordered the unit. Did it come with camera or is it extra.

Moatmonster
20th September 2012, 10:47 PM
Hi Moatmonster,

My Patrol is a 98 GU, so doesn´t have the steering wheel controls. Otherwise the screen is tactile and pretty easy to use. So I do not really care about that.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Dmwlking
21st September 2012, 12:37 PM
I am going to order the eonon g2216. thanks for all your suggestion.

wat4
21st September 2012, 09:50 PM
I have just finished fitting my unit, i bought an eonon C1303Z, which is only 6.2" fixed screen. A mate has a flip screen model, nearly 18 months old and the screen rattles really badly, so bad that cannot use bluetooth handsfree without holding the screen otherwise the caller has a job to hear him over the noise. So I figured with some of the rough roads I will be driving the fixed screen would be a better option. So far all is working well, just in the process of putting ozi with hema and fire maps on. Looks good and the service from Eonon was excellent, was here in 5 days, including the weekend. My only complaint is that the radio is a bit scratchy, am looking into an inline booster.

tricksgonefishing
21st September 2012, 10:29 PM
I orded the C1304DA because it had the digital TV tuner and they have turned analog TV off im my area now (not that I plan to watch much telly on it). It also came with a free reversing camera that I thought might be useful pointed at the towball for hooking up.(no more bad directions from wife haha) It was also on my doormat in 6 days but I work away on 5 weeks on 5weeks off roster so I havent seen it yet but I go home in a bit over a week and will put it in and post a quick report on it.

Lonicus
22nd September 2012, 04:47 PM
Just ordered the same one Tricks. Looks to be a pretty good unit and it'll be a pleasure not to have the Tomtom cable draped over the dash of yet another car.

Going by the delivery speed you guys have had the unit will be here before the car :)

Lonicus
2nd October 2012, 04:01 PM
Unit arrived today, still no car to put it into though. Hopefully Friday!

Lonicus
4th October 2012, 08:32 PM
Can anyone shed any light on which harness I need for the above unit please?

I found 2 Aerpro harnesses at the local store for Nissans post 1995, one with plugs on one end & bare wires on the other end, part # AP7550, the other has plugs on both ends, part # APP0120. I don't have the unit with me atm, so not sure which one I need.

Also no clue what to look for in terms of the aerial adapter.

Cheers
Lon

oncedisturbed
4th October 2012, 09:40 PM
It should have 2 on 1 end and 1 on the other, straight plug and play from aerpro, bugger chasing wires if you dont have to

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Lonicus
4th October 2012, 09:47 PM
It should have 2 on 1 end and 1 on the other, straight plug and play from aerpro, bugger chasing wires if you dont have to

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Thanks mate, sounds like the 0120 is the go.

tricksgonefishing
11th October 2012, 09:20 AM
I just installed my C1304DA. First impressions are bad. The only way it can find the com port for the GPS is to reset the whole unit. there must be a problem so I have sent an email to them but no reply yet. The radio reception is bad but I will try a new arial and see if that makes a difference. The screen is loose and I think it will rattle on a rough road but some foam behind it may fix that. The TV antena cable is too short to make it to the roof and I cant even get reception parked at my house.
Like I said my first impressions are its a piece of shit but If I can get the GPS to load and function properly I would be happy for what I paid. It didnt come with any installation instructions or GPS operating instructions but it does refer to a GPS manual in the owners manual but they never sent one to me.

Alitis007
11th October 2012, 10:03 AM
I've had trouble in the past with no name el cheapo head units so now i just stick with name brands and IMHO there worth the extra $$$, some times you might get a dud but they generally swap it quick smart if its due to faulty hardware.

Lonicus
11th October 2012, 07:55 PM
Much the same boat as you Tricks. The GPS loads my position when I start it up but doesn't update as I drive around.

mudski
11th October 2012, 08:26 PM
I got this Eonon unit http://www.eonon-australia.com.au/collections/car-gps/products/g2227a-7-inch-digital-touch-screen-motorized-slide-down-control-panel-car-dvd-player-gps-au-map
Not bad but radio reception is nothing to be happy about. Will do for $300. Shipped from HK in a week too. I have hooked up a reverse camera to it which makes life a lot easier whilst reversing.

Lonicus
12th October 2012, 09:37 PM
I don't know if things have changed between the models but the Eonon C1304D I received is a complete piece of crap.

The GPS would sometimes boot up when the car was started, and not at other times. This meant having to do a port scan, resulting in a failure, turn the car off, restart car and GPS usually worked after that, until the car was switched off again.

The unit didn't sit flush with the dash, the screen rattled, and the LED lights for the buttons didn't work. Plugging an ipod in meant I had cables coming out of both sides of the unit draped around the gear shift. All in all it looked pretty poxy.

The sound, wow, I haven't heard sound that bad from a stereo since the tape decks I used to run in my old VW Beetles back in the 70's. The radio in my wife's Barina sounded like a symphony by comparison.

I couldn't stand it, the unit came straight back out.

I hunted around this morning and picked up a Pioneer AVIC-940BT. It may not be the best unit around but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Eonon piece of crap. Everything works flawlessly, the sound quality is brilliant, it sits flush with the dash, and all cables are routed through the back of the unit and hidden in the glovebox.

As others have said, you get what you pay for.

Happy now :)

mudski
13th October 2012, 09:27 AM
I don't know if things have changed between the models but the Eonon C1304D I received is a complete piece of crap.

The GPS would sometimes boot up when the car was started, and not at other times. This meant having to do a port scan, resulting in a failure, turn the car off, restart car and GPS usually worked after that, until the car was switched off again.
Thats a pain in the arse...

The unit didn't sit flush with the dash, the screen rattled, and the LED lights for the buttons didn't work. Plugging an ipod in meant I had cables coming out of both sides of the unit draped around the gear shift. All in all it looked pretty poxy.
The unit doesn't sit flush because of the surround. I needs a little trim then you can move the unit back...The LED lights didn't work as you need to power them up from the back of the unit, It's not said in the very vague instructions but I eventually found it...Don't ipods have BT?

The sound, wow, I haven't heard sound that bad from a stereo since the tape decks I used to run in my old VW Beetles back in the 70's. The radio in my wife's Barina sounded like a symphony by comparison.
Yeah the sound isn't the greatest hey but it does me. I just listen to the radio anyhow...

I couldn't stand it, the unit came straight back out.
If I could justify more than double for what i paid for this unit I would do the same.

I hunted around this morning and picked up a Pioneer AVIC-940BT. It may not be the best unit around but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Eonon piece of crap. Everything works flawlessly, the sound quality is brilliant, it sits flush with the dash, and all cables are routed through the back of the unit and hidden in the glovebox.

As others have said, you get what you pay for.

Happy now :)
Good to hear bud. There is a few glitches in mine but I do realise that I have bought cheap so I will get cheap. I'd rather spend 3hunge on a cheap unit and spend the difference between a cheapy and a good unit on other mods to my troll. Because the list for that never seems to end...

Lonicus
14th October 2012, 08:41 PM
Because the list for that never seems to end...

Ain't that the truth :)

oncedisturbed
14th October 2012, 08:46 PM
Nit good on the issues you have had with it, as mentioned it is a different unit to mine but have neverhad an issue with it, hope the pioneer works out :$

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Lonicus
14th October 2012, 09:53 PM
Nit good on the issues you have had with it, as mentioned it is a different unit to mine but have neverhad an issue with it, hope the pioneer works out :$

Tap, Tap Taparoo

Did about 800klm this weekend and the Pioneer was brilliant, once I learnt how to drive it a little :)

Thanks for your help along the way mate, much appreciated!

Hodge
31st May 2013, 12:45 PM
Digging up an old thread, but curious to see what people are using nowdays. Anybody used the Brash imports unit by any chance? For example this one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-4WD-OZI-EXPLORER-ROAD-NAVIGATION-GPS-IPHONE-B-TOOTH-HEAD-UNIT-/350787739828?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51ac9420b4&_uhb=1) ?

Something with off-road maps is what I need. I've had the Polaris unit in my navara before I bought the patrol and it was a way overprice piece of shit. Slow in every aspect, GPS com port kept dropping out and couldn't get it going again until i reset the whole unit which took forever, etc etc.

Just curious to see what people think of any new or current range units. Cheers.

Coldcomfort
31st May 2013, 02:30 PM
I have not long ago installed a pioneer AVIC-F40BT. I decided that buying cheap would be costly in the long run. It comes with off road maps too. It was easy to install. Just a bit time consuming to do it properly. I made my own loom to interface with the Nissan loom. The after maket ones are way too long. I made mine only as long as they had to be.

A little snippet.... When you have done all your wiring and are ready to install the unit wrap some thin foam around the plugs. I got a sheet of the stuff from clark rubber for a few pennies. Use some insulation tape to hold the foam on. This will go a long way to prevent any rattles....

Hodge
31st May 2013, 02:34 PM
That unit looks geart Cold, but I cannot find a single thing about those models having any off-road features / maps such as Ozi Explorer and the likes.

Lonicus
31st May 2013, 02:47 PM
I have the AVIC 940BT, it says it comes with off-road maps but I haven't tested that yet. However, the GPS system it uses for on-road nav is absolute rubbish, so much so that I use a TomTom for navigation.

The rest of the unit is good, i.e. sound, phone, iPod etc. but steer well clear of these units for any GPS functions.

Alitis007
31st May 2013, 03:03 PM
I've got an Alpine INA-W910R on rd GPS is brilliant and so its it off Rd maps, has had every single track i've been on. Bluetooth is fantastic, cant fault it!!

Lonicus
31st May 2013, 03:58 PM
I actually went looking for the Alpine but couldn't source one locally so grabbed the Pioneer thinking it'd be on par with Alpine. I know better now.

kevin07
31st May 2013, 06:39 PM
Hello all

Just looking for advice on the best stereo system for the GU patrol. Looking for something that does maps and reverse camera etc

Any info experiences

Cheers
best one on the market is one made by kenwood cost you though

Coldcomfort
31st May 2013, 08:06 PM
I have had absolutly no issues with the GPS on the AVIC-40BT..... I mounted the GPS antenae up in the passenger side pillar. It gets the GPS signal every time with in 10 seconds. So far every track I have been on around here has been on the GPS... Not sure why others think that the GPS is crap. I would rate it the oposite... I have a Garman zumo 660 for my motorcycle. I would rate the GPS as good as this unit.

Funny how some things work for some and not for others.....

Lonicus
1st June 2013, 05:01 AM
I have had absolutly no issues with the GPS on the AVIC-40BT..... I mounted the GPS antenae up in the passenger side pillar. It gets the GPS signal every time with in 10 seconds. So far every track I have been on around here has been on the GPS... Not sure why others think that the GPS is crap. I would rate it the oposite... I have a Garman zumo 660 for my motorcycle. I would rate the GPS as good as this unit.

Funny how some things work for some and not for others.....

The GPS works fine, like yours it boots up fast and has no issues finding a signal and all the roads are there, it's the actual route finding capability that is crap.

A couple of examples:

Bathurst to Maitland, a 4 to 4.5 hour drive that I've done quite a few times, according to the Pioneer it is a 7 to 8 hour trip on routes I've never seen before.

Bathurst to Noosa, according to TomTom and Google it's a 13 hour trip via the inland route on the New England Highway. The shortest route Pioneer can give me is 23 hours via the coast. The inland route was not one of the 6 route options it gave and when I tried to force it onto that route by adding waypoints the travel time blew out to 28 hours!

Where TomTom, and other GPS units, find an alternate route when you stray from the selected route the Pioneer doesn't. It continually gives directions to get back onto the original route. The Noosa route is an example, rather than find an alternate route when I added waypoints it kept to the same route and just added the waypoints as side trips.

Hodge
1st June 2013, 08:37 AM
I've got an Alpine INA-W910R on rd GPS is brilliant and so its it off Rd maps, has had every single track i've been on. Bluetooth is fantastic, cant fault it!!

Mate of mine has this in his hilux and it is just awesome in terms of screen clarity sound and features. Onroad gps is just as good. Off-road... Well, we didn't have much luck even with the most common / dirt tracks in high country etc. And we didn't even venture into the proper 4x4 stuff up there. But that was only for a day or so, maybe it needed an update or something. If this thing ran oziexplorer I'd be willing to pay a lot of $$ for it...

Alitis007
1st June 2013, 09:17 AM
Mate of mine has this in his hilux and it is just awesome in terms of screen clarity sound and features. Onroad gps is just as good. Off-road... Well, we didn't have much luck even with the most common / dirt tracks in high country etc. And we didn't even venture into the proper 4x4 stuff up there. But that was only for a day or so, maybe it needed an update or something. If this thing ran oziexplorer I'd be willing to pay a lot of $$ for it...

Every forum trip i have been on my Alpine has had ever track, even the ones that the guys using iPads with off rd maps on them didn't have! My unit is less then a year old, so maybe your mates one is an older model or had the old maps in it??