PDA

View Full Version : transfer case oil.

mudnut
5th August 2012, 01:55 PM
the transfercase clangs a bit when rolling in gears 1,2, or3. My Gregorys manual suggests that dextron 11 atf is the correct fluid to use, but I reckon that's what's in it now. I tried a tube of ptfe and that quietened it down. It's nearly due for a drain and refill, any suggestions what to put back in?

malcolm
5th August 2012, 08:31 PM
Double check your manual - i thought the spec had changed at some point to 'normal' gear oil not dexron - I'll try and remember to check my manual tomorrow . cheers

mudnut
6th August 2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks malcom. I just read a thread from dec14, about different oils used because of friction driving the front diff even when the transfer case is disengaged. I suppose the transfer gears must be just a bit tired, so I might as well just replace the dextron atf and whack in a few tubes of treatment.

malcolm
6th August 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi again , my manual says SAE 80/90 gear oil for series I and dex II for series II models . Not sure if there is a difference mechanically or just a decision to change lubricants . cheers

mudnut
13th August 2012, 01:39 PM
When I went to buy the fluid, the salesmen nearly had a heart attack when I told him I had put a tube of goop in the transfer case, and he wouldn't sell me any, because the products didn't list transfer cases. So what now? Do I rebuild the transfer case, cause it now makes a hell of a racket when in low range down steep hills. I can hear the noise in the tc when I wrenched the tail shaft back and forth. It ain't the diff or the uni or the hand brake.