PDA

View Full Version : Side light fuse blowing

alterastro
5th August 2012, 04:26 AM
Hi all

I put my sidelights on today and it blew the fuse. I've checked and there seems to be a dead short at the fusebox. I've removed all the bulbs and the short is still there. I haven't done anything other than fitting a CB, but I've removed that and the stereo just to be sure, but no different.

Any ideas where I can begin to look for this problem? It's a 1998 GU Shorty 2.8 :1087:

Cheers

Nick

P4trol
5th August 2012, 08:18 AM
More info.

Was there a short before you installed the sidelights?

Did you touch anything else?

Did you just install globes, or holders too? Any wiring changes?

When you say dead short, how did you arrive at that? -fuse blowing immediately or other?

Tipsy-tap

alterastro
5th August 2012, 09:37 AM
Sorry, I'm in the uk, and what we call sidelights you guys call something else. Tail lights? Basically first click on the light stalk.

To be honest I've only had it 3 weeks and it may be the first time I actually turned the lights on. As soon as I did the fuse went pop. Checked with a meter and there is a dead short on one side of the fuse When the lights are turned on.

So far I have removed all the bulbs - 2 at the front, 2 at the rear plus licence plate light but still a dead short. I fitted a cb recently and thought I may have trapped a wire but I have removed that and the stereo. It also has tow bar electrics which I have totally disconnected just to be sure but the short is still there :-(

Now I'm not sure where to look next.

Nick

97_gq_lwb
5th August 2012, 09:55 AM
A common problem is when people install dodgy trailer plug wiring and it is shorting out somewhere.

Yendor
5th August 2012, 11:36 AM
The most common cause of shorts in sidelights/taillights is the trailer plug wiring.

I would have another good look at this. With the trailer plug wiring follow it all the way to where it connects into the main body harness looking for any signs of damage.

If you have a bull bar with lights fitted, check the wiring at the back of the lights and follow this wiring to where it connects into the body harness once again looking for any signs of damage.

Failing that, you will need to have a look at all the body wiring harness, looking for any signs of damage. Pay close attention to any areas of the vehicle that have panel damage or where any other accessories may have been fitted.

Good luck with it.

P4trol
5th August 2012, 12:11 PM
Going along the cb install line: just double check the earth used. Some wires in the dash appear like an earth until power is applied.

Try and remove power from cb and test again.

Tipsy-tap

alterastro
5th August 2012, 08:52 PM
Going along the cb install line: just double check the earth used. Some wires in the dash appear like an earth until power is applied.

Try and remove power from cb and test again.

Tipsy-tap

Top Man! You were absolutely right!

The thing that got me was there appeared to be a short to ground on the fusebox too, but that is only until you put a fuse in! Weird!!!

But now sorted, so thanks!

Nick