PDA

View Full Version : changing power steering fluid

Gilbert
4th August 2012, 05:27 PM
Time to change out my power steering fluid in my Y60 TD42. First time I have done it on this vehicle. Any tricks to watch for? In my other vehicles it was pretty simple. Find a low spot, disconnect a hose, let it drain, reconnect hose and refill. Anything different on a Patrol?

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2012, 06:58 PM
when you are done you need to jack the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheels lock to lock to bleed the system

nissannewby
4th August 2012, 07:52 PM
It also helps to get the fluid out of the system if you drain it refill and bleed as ben-e-boy said then drain it again and repeat process :)

xamrab
24th December 2012, 02:42 PM
when you are done you need to jack the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheels lock to lock to bleed the system

Why do you have to jack the wheels off the ground? Why can't you just turn the wheels to lock. Either way, how does that bleed the systme?

Robo
25th December 2012, 12:52 AM
The procedure described is how its done to expel air from the lines and steer box.
Front Wheels off ground ensure no un-due pressure is placed upon any part while air is still in the system.
1 line in & 1 line out, so turning from side to side expels the air, simple.

xamrab
26th December 2012, 12:10 PM
The procedure described is how its done to expel air from the lines and steer box.
Front Wheels off ground ensure no un-due pressure is placed upon any part while air is still in the system.
1 line in & 1 line out, so turning from side to side expels the air, simple.

Ok. So it is the side to side movement of the steering without undue downward stress which causes the air to be expelled. I presume you need the motor running. Thanks and have a great Xmas break.

Robo
27th December 2012, 11:27 PM
The job can be done in 2 stages if you wish.
reservoir lid on during bleeding as power fluid can spray out all over the place.

1) refill system and turn steering wheel side to side without engine.
say 10 times checking level and topping as required.

2) then start engine and go again untill satisfied air is out.

procedure so easy with vehicle jacked up.
you can just reach down and turn/lever the left front wheel instead of walking around car too the s/wheel.
what-ever takes you fancy

cheers.
happy new year to you to.