PDA

View Full Version : TD42 Turbo Issues/broken? Heeelp!

griffo04
4th August 2012, 11:55 AM
Hey guys!

Im not sure if im having an issue with my turbo or not, but its starting to scare me!

When i first get in my car when its cold, i do the usual and let it warm up somewhat and then start driving, but for the first 10-15 minutes of driving im getting a horrible sound from what seems to be my turbo.

Between 1500-2250rmp its almost like a high pitch squeel, like the turbo is at 2000psi.
I dont notice any power gain or loss from it but its quite loud and disturbing, it will also do it sometimes when under load, but not very often.

The car is a 2005 TD42ti, tuned by brisbane turbos and tuning, running 15psi and its done 190xxxkm, Also has a full 3" system and tuning to match the 15psi

If it is my turbo on the way out, im assuming im better to uprage than replace with a standard factory turbo; if so i would be hoping to find a direct replacement turbo/kit.
Im not too keen on changing exhast/manifold flanges, oil/water lines.. I would just be hoping and prefer something that can just be put directly put on with no mods.

Thanks in advance!
TIM

97_gq_lwb
4th August 2012, 12:13 PM
could be a leak somewhere check around exhaust flange and turbo flange for black soot.
And all air lines hoses fittings are ok .

nissannewby
4th August 2012, 08:01 PM
Sounds like an exhaust or boost leak. The standard intercoolers are known to leak, it could also be where your pyro probe goes (if one is installed). Have a through check over exhaust and intake first. It does sound like a leak of some sort as its only really happening when its cold, so once it warms up gap is closed and no more leak unless as you stated under heavy load when there is more heat and load etc. If you do ugrade your turbo there is quite a lot you can do to the factory one modification wise. The standard turbo is good for about 160hp, with some high flowing etc you can get this up to the 180-190 mark then all out cartridge and some more textensive modification push this past 200.

Stropp
4th August 2012, 10:13 PM
Yes start it up and get someone to stick their head under the bonnet, my guess is a inter cooler hose split.

Richo460
6th August 2012, 03:29 AM
check your exhaust manifold gasket, i had this same problem and the manifold wasn't tight enough on the crappy thin gasket i had. It made the same noise you describe.

griffo04
6th August 2012, 11:52 AM
SO i was unable to access the turbo yesterday while at home, lack of tools and knowledge, and too many pre job beers.
I checked over what could of been the simple parts; Intercooler, Intercooler hoses, cannot see/hear/feel exhaust leaks anywhere.

Now i have to make the decision to take this one off and give it to MTQ (2 minutes away from work) or i go for the Kinugawa Turbocharger 3" TD05H-16G from ebay for $700
MTQ are saying anything from $900 for just the bacis or all the way up to $2500 for different internals/high flowing and all that kinda stuff.

I just dont know if i should be trusting a $700 ebay turbo on a $40,000 vehicle that does 600-800km per week

DieselSmart
6th August 2012, 05:32 PM
Hi Mate

If it is your turbo I would be looking at an upgraded turbo like a gt-28 or possibly even a 30 and having a re-tune done to match the extra flow. I personally am looking at a 4.2 ute to purchase at the moment and doing the same thing to it.

The MTQ gear is good stuff

my 2 cents worth :)

fat pete
6th August 2012, 06:27 PM
whats that old saying?ya get what ya pay for

97_gq_lwb
6th August 2012, 06:33 PM
Not always the case a lot of people get ripped right off with turbo's
Especially so called high flowed turbo's when they just swap a housing and wheel and wack a big $$$$ figure on.
Do your research personally i would go a bush bearing turbo over ballbearing as i have seen so many fail.

Aben Dean
8th August 2012, 05:56 AM
Sometimes cheaper stuffs last longer then the so called branded stuffs....have seen few examples!