PDA

View Full Version : Rear work lights on a GQ

Ghurkin
4th August 2012, 11:26 AM
Tried searching cant find the info I need so I put this post up.

I have two 36 led spotlights that I want to install om my roof rack under the awning line for use as both work lights and so I can see when backing the bastard up (dam those tinted windows)

only way i can see of getting power to the lights without drilling the body is run the positive wire down the rear small barn door gutter and stick it there somehow then enter via the demister wire grommet in the body.
Id also like to be able to switch it on from the cab for reverse and from the back when the barn doors are open.

Im sure this has been donne a million times so any info will be very handy

P.S. its a 1993 GQ

Bloodyaussie
4th August 2012, 04:08 PM
Without drilling the only 2 ways I have heard of is the way you mentioned and also running 20mm pvc tubing up the front along the snorkel????

I just got my mate a strip of that flexi led light to run on the inside of his door for his b'day....

My mate wired his up direct to the reverse light (slackers way, sorry Pete) I went the hard way and wired it up with relays from the 2nd battery to a switch in the cab plus another on the back door and when I need to reverse with extra lighting I just flick the switch.

Ghurkin
4th August 2012, 08:30 PM
hmmmm snorkel ay? hmmmm ideas forming, dangerous time lol

Ghurkin
12th August 2012, 07:12 PM
Ok so im going to drill holes under the top sill at the rear barn doors and install a rubber grommet, I dlike to have a switch in the cab to turn them on and a switch at the back too, anyone have any idea how to do this? a relay of some sort perhaps?

the ferret
12th August 2012, 07:20 PM
Why don't you go for something like this mate, they can be made taller if you need the height
Just click on the link in my sig, or go to my website.
Cheers, the ferret

Ghurkin
12th August 2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Ferret, great products mate, I already have led lights though and they are bolted to the roof rack all I need is some wiring advice for two switches

the ferret
12th August 2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Ferret, great products mate, I already have led lights though and they are bolted to the roof rack all I need is some wiring advice for two switches

Yendor is your man mate!!
Cheers, the ferret

Bloodyaussie
12th August 2012, 09:13 PM
If you are not sure about wiring just buy a light relay kit.. Super cheap have them for about $28 but I prefer the proper ones for about $60.

Power is taken form the battery but the trigger is wired to what ever you choose, eg: reverse light, driving lights.

I have just wired mine up to a constant power so when I reverse and I need the extra light I flick the switch or if I need a work light it is there to be had.

My mate wired his up to his reverse light only and that is the lazy way.

choochie
12th August 2012, 11:19 PM
I drilled a hole in the large barn door behind the spare wheel carrier bracket - then pushed in a rubber gromet, pushed wire through, and applied small amount of silicon to seal it off.

Toggle switch with missile cover installed on the dash running to a fused distribution box under the hood. Not connected to reverse lights as the switch is only an arms length away :)

But if you are wanting to install lights on roof rack then I'd recommend drilling a hole at top rear passenger corner of roof and running cable through there. That is how the GQ police vehicles had power to roof lights (mine has a blanking plug in the roof in same spot).

[Tapatalk2 on Nexus7]

choochie
12th August 2012, 11:25 PM
My mate wired his up to his reverse light only and that is the lazy way.

That's the fuse-poppin' way :p

[Tapatalk2 on Nexus7]

the ferret
12th August 2012, 11:40 PM
That's the fuse-poppin' way :p

[Tapatalk2 on Nexus7]

X 2 on that one, you need to pick up the "cold" wire on the reverse switch and activate the relay with that wire, unless you are using LEDs
Otherwise "meltdown".
Darn, where's Yendor when ya need him lol??
Cheers, the ferret

Yendor
13th August 2012, 12:37 AM
Run a battery feed to both switches. Run a wire from terminal 86 of the relay and connect to both switches.

The rest of the connections at the relay are

Terminal 85 of the relay connect to earth
Terminal 30 of the relay connect to battery via a fuse
Terminal 87 of the relay connect to the work lights

You will also need to run an earth wire to your work lights.

The above set up will enable you to turn the lights on and off from the front switch and on and off from the rear switch.

You will not be able to turn the lights on from the front switch and then turn them off from the rear switch. If you want to do this you will need to use on-on switches instead of on-off switches (wiring is also different).

http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=243

Trolatron
17th August 2012, 09:04 PM
This is what I did and have found it to be usefull on a few occasions .
I can turn lights on from the back door then turn them off from switch on dash and vice versa.
I can also choose to have one or two lights on or no lights ( good for back at camp when two lights are to much )
They are also hooked to reverse lights which is on its own on/off switch too.

Link to Post on here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?7931-Duel-switch

This pic is for duel swithes only.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/Bendero7/Duelswitch.jpg

This pic incorporates a switch for 1 or 2 or no lights
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/Bendero7/CAMP-REVERSESWITCHES.jpg

Trolatron
17th August 2012, 09:10 PM
Actually the battery feed should go to switch 2 not 3.
Switch 3 is on small rear door.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/Bendero7/IMAG0412.jpg

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2012, 10:01 PM
Run a fused hot wire from your second battery to the back to supply the power to the lights. Connect this to a relay circuit.

On the switching side of the relay piggy back as many switching circuits as you like now. Drag 1 from your reverse circuit and it will turn on automatically when engaging reverse. Run a wire up to the front and put a switch into positive in the dash and you can switch it on and off at will. Run a 3rd to a switch as the back and you can turn it on there now too. All you are doing though is switching the relay regardless and your light should go through a relay Anyway ;)

Note that setting it up like this will mean though that when ever you turn the light on your reverse lights come on too which is fine.

Easy as mate!

Have fun

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Hahahaha on my iPhone and you got a heap of response at once or I missed that there was a second page. What Yendor wrote is what I described

threedogs
17th August 2012, 11:16 PM
I don't require additional reverse lights. All I did was install 4 x 120smd led globes in the dummy lights, its like day light.
I will however be fitting a 7" light bar some time in the future as a work light.