PDA

View Full Version : Tools

Bubba
4th August 2012, 07:05 AM
Having just purchased my 1990 3L petrol GQ patrol, I am wanting to set up a tool box for it, any help on what spanner sizers I will need would be a great help, as going over it and working it out myself (which I will be doing ) I may miss an important size, or if there is a extra long socket needed to get at something.
advise on this will be a big help as i dont want to be out somewhere and find I need a 16ml socket with 100ml reach

TIA

Bigrig
4th August 2012, 08:08 AM
I've got two sets of ratchet ring ends (and open ends - one set solid, one set with flexible heads) going from 8mm - 34mm. Sockets in the same size and one set of long tube sockets in imperial. 3/8 ratchet and 1/2" ratchet drives with multiple length extensions from 4" to 24" with swivel head adapters to get into nooks and crannies.

Couple of various size chisel tip and Phillips heads screw drivers, shifters, and an assortment of side cutters, pliers (standard and pointy nose), multi-grips, and dog grips and your pretty much in your way to being able to twist and remove most things on the truck.

NissanGQ4.2
4th August 2012, 08:19 AM
I carry no tools............do carry a 5ltr container of fuel and a lighter though :)

my third 256
4th August 2012, 08:49 AM
gloves ,hammer and zip ties also plenty of rags

Bubba
4th August 2012, 10:10 AM
nice replies thanks guys, looks like you guys don't mind a drink or 2 , i think i will fit in Nicely here

threedogs
4th August 2012, 10:48 AM
Get the best workshop quality sockets and hand tools you can afford, you don't want them failing out whoop whoop.

wildgu6
4th August 2012, 11:09 AM
nice replies thanks guys, looks like you guys don't mind a drink or 2 , i think i will fit in Nicely here

As your avatar suggests lol, yes you will fit in nicely, and x2 on the good quality tools

Yappa Tappa Doo

growler2058
4th August 2012, 11:12 AM
Roll of twitching wire like this is always handy for tying stuff up

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

threedogs
4th August 2012, 02:04 PM
X2 Growler, many a job been fixed with a piece of fencing wire, make good toasting forks for the kids too,

Morton
6th August 2012, 04:29 PM
electrical gable ties, roll of tie-wire (pictured above), a quality set of allen-keys, as stated buy quality tools, they dont have to be Sidchrome but $20 fo a socket set wont get you far, assorted ring & open end spanners, you can by these in good sets, if you buy from Ebay research the product 100% then you cant be dissapointed, maybe look at supercrap (supercheap), I dont go there so have no idea on quality but havent heard to much to positive, remember cheap usually means nasty, remember you dont want to be in the bush & that 50c socket is your insurance to get home after a breakdown, I would be mighty scared

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2012, 04:51 PM
Roll of twitching wire like this is always handy for tying stuff up
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18655&d=1344040931

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

your an Animal growler!! But i like ya ;)

Silver
6th August 2012, 07:09 PM
something to keep dried mud, or even wet mud out of the eyes when working under.

A cheap poly tarp to lie on.

I'll vote for quality as well - keep your hands safe rather than have a tool slip off a fastener, wreck the fastener, and damage your hand. Plus if you need to reach for a length of pipe, or a mallet.....

I'd also vote for a paper manual, or if you cart something around you can read it on - the electronic one from here.

If you don't have the skills, or the tools, odds are someone who does, will come along sooner or later.

growler2058
6th August 2012, 09:22 PM
your an Animal growler!! But i like ya ;)

Bailing twine liquid nails an a roll of wire and aint nuthin cant be fixed :-)

GQ TANK
6th August 2012, 11:47 PM
Hand tools as mentioned - cold chesiels (small and large), circlip plier 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch scoket sets.
Eletrical crimps & crimper, 12v led probe, metal putty, tube of gasket salastic, fuses

taslucas
7th August 2012, 08:03 AM
Bailing twine liquid nails an a roll of wire and aint nuthin cant be fixed :-)

Chuck growlers in the back, he's a tool!

I take a small window scraper thing with me. Not exactly an emergency tool but it does help out a lot if you can see out your windows.:) Always heaps of mud here....

Bubba
7th August 2012, 05:24 PM
what size allen keys are needed? do i need imperial for them as well?

Bigrig
7th August 2012, 05:50 PM

8mm mainly mate - for the hub studs. Best to get a 8mm head on a half inch or 3/8's socket to go on the socket wrench/drive you might have - they'd be bloody hard to undo with a standard Allen key.

MudRunnerTD
7th August 2012, 05:53 PM

When buying or selecting ANY tools for your Nissan Patrol note ==>> Everything is METRIC! Bin the rest. Metric sockets and Metric Spanners is all you will need on the car EVER.

Biscuits
7th August 2012, 06:09 PM
I carry no tools............do carry a 5ltr container of fuel and a lighter though :)

Ahhh the good ol fashioned Ipswich repair kit

nissannewby
7th August 2012, 07:12 PM
Being a petrol to a can of WD40 will be your friend in wet conditions.

Silver
7th August 2012, 11:42 PM
agree that Patrols are metric - there are AF equivalents, eg 14mm = 9/16, 16mm = 5/8, 19mm = 3/4.

works less well at the smaller end of the scale - some 3/8 don't like 10mm, and 1/2 can be too big for 12 sometimes, and 13 a bit sloppy

Sometimes an old AF spanner can make up a gap in a new set of metrics - for instance metric kits sometimes omit 16mm for some reason.

And, if you've already got an AF set lying around, and acquire a metric set, you end up with quite a few that are the same si2e, which can be handy for undoing a bolt fastened by the same si2e nut (as opposed to a nutsert or threaded hole or whatever)

Bubba, if you don't spend a lot of time with a spanner in your hands, or down at the gym, or otherwise developing hand arm and upper body strength, a set of long ring spanners, or a breaker bar for your sockets can make a big difference. I climbed under Silver a while ago to undo the plugs throughout the transmission. Couldn't get any of them to move, even with a breaker bar. No room to move, and very awkward. Took it to the mechanic, who put it up on the hoist, and easily cracked them all with the same si2ed breaker bar - he does that kind of stuff all day, and is probably stronger, and could use his body weight and position to crack them - momentum is king :-)

Rustyboner81
9th August 2012, 04:38 AM
a couple of tyre levers and a cheater bar, leverage can save you a lot of heart ache

Rustyboner81
9th August 2012, 04:44 AM
probably the best thing you can do is just start doing maintenance on it, go through you drive line and change all yer oils, pull out your cv joints and wheel bearings, cheack all yer breaks and crap you will soon get the hange of the sizes you need what kinda crappy spots you gotta get into. in my opinion youd really want to get to know your own vehicle before doing any serious offroading.

start off with a socket set, a spanner kit. and start tinkering
it doesn't need to be the best stuff but dont get a set of cheap nut fu**ers caz then you'll be in a world of hurt.

Bubba
9th August 2012, 01:36 PM
I have a set of AF sockets and spanners sitting in my shed covered in dust , makes sense to chuck them in coz they will do me no good there if i could use them on the road

Bubba
9th August 2012, 01:37 PM
What's a cheater bar?

nismo404
9th August 2012, 03:55 PM
Essentially just a bar over the end of a ratchet to reduce the force required. One way to do it with spanners that have an open end and a ring end is to place the ring end over the nut/bolt, and then with another spanner use the ring end and locate it in the open end of the first spanner so it locks in. You've just doubled the length of the spanner meaning you've halved the force required to crack the nut.

Tank
9th August 2012, 06:42 PM
I have one of these http://www.toolandindustrial.co.nz/shop/item.aspx/bahco-94-pc-socket-set/236/ for me this makes the base and then I have a set of flex head ratchet spanners 8 - 14mm (can't see the point in having bigger ones as the ratchets don't handle alot of force very well), a set of vice grips, 12 in slip joint pliers, lines man pliers, hacksaw blade, 1/2" power bar, impact driver, 24oz hammer, welding lens, arc rods, jumper leads, My nissan is Y60/GQ so I dont really need a whole lot of other stuff.

Bubba
9th August 2012, 06:45 PM
ok yep i have done that b4, a bit of tube will work also , i got a lump hammer and a impact driver as well and im not afraid to use them.

Bubba
9th August 2012, 06:51 PM
I have one of these http://www.toolandindustrial.co.nz/shop/item.aspx/bahco-94-pc-socket-set/236/ for me this makes the base and then I have a set of flex head ratchet spanners 8 - 14mm (can't see the point in having bigger ones as the ratchets don't handle alot of force very well), a set of vice grips, 12 in slip joint pliers, lines man pliers, hacksaw blade, 1/2" power bar, impact driver, 24oz hammer, welding lens, arc rods, jumper leads, My nissan is Y60/GQ so I dont really need a whole lot of other stuff.

I saw one of those on Ebay , had not heard of the brand , but if they are good enuff for a Tank , I am sure they will be fine for a Bubba

Tank
9th August 2012, 07:07 PM
I saw one of those on Ebay , had not heard of the brand , but if they are good enuff for a Tank , I am sure they will be fine for a Bubba

They are pretty coman over here as a mid range brand. I have given it a good amount of abuse. The sockets are really heavy to the point where if I need an impact socket in a size I don't have I use one of them

smole01
11th August 2012, 10:56 AM
If your after good sockets that are well priced. You cant go past bahco sockets i have a set they are amazing come in a great case to chuck in the truck. They have a life time warranty Snap On owns them. Some blokes i know who are sidchrome to the day they die. Use my stuff and they think its good for the cash some things better than sidchrome. What some people dont know is that sidchrome is owned by stanley tools now and its mostly all made in china. Yes it still has a lifetime warranty but the feel is no longer there i think IMO

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260664322593?hlp=false#ht_6723wt_943 Total tools sells them too

cheers fellas have a good day

Bubba
28th September 2012, 12:38 PM
slowly getting my tool box sorted , mostly getting Kimgchrome which my machanic mate reacons will do just fine. saving up for a spanner set and then should have everything I need , many thanx for the imput here

threedogs
28th September 2012, 02:34 PM
Can't go wrong with Kinchrome, they even do these cool retro eskies I found yesterday.
just reread this, all the tools in in world wont help you with a stuffed radiator or fuel tank,
so some 5 min flakes for the radiator NOT CHEMIWELD and some putty to repair the tank,
familiarise yourself with whats what on your 4x4 crawl under have a look for grease points,
hand brake cable adjusyments etc, gotta start somewhere.

Bubba
29th September 2012, 11:15 PM
wow nice esky, still remember having 1 that looked alot like that. where did you find it?
the flacks and the putty are great ideas, i have some putty in my garage , fat lot of good it will do there when im 100s of kms from home , its going straight in the tool kit

threedogs
29th September 2012, 11:29 PM
At my local Bolt Bloke if you like I can get you a price if its not available your way.
Know them very well. whats postage $20 to NSW on top, I'll
ring monday for you

megatexture
30th September 2012, 12:22 AM
regarding tools (socket sets) get a quality set that offer a life time warranty like snapon/ stanley I’m sure there are more but they are the 2 that come to mind now , I’ve sapped a ratchet with a breaker bar and went to the hardware and swapped it no questions asked ....just don’t tell them it was with a breaker bar lol

Bubba
2nd October 2012, 12:52 PM
my tool kit has a mix of snap on , stanley, sidchrome and kinchrome, what ever seemed like a good deal when i was buying it

threedogs
2nd October 2012, 12:58 PM
Old No 7 brand sticker would look good on that esky Bubba, I'll get a price on this post for you
Can get one for $65 plus if interested.

Bubba
4th October 2012, 11:09 AM
$65 is a good price , I will see if i can find one down here, if not i will let you know

threedogs
4th October 2012, 02:34 PM
Maybe a Kinchrome promo going on at the moment, I good friends with the Bolt bloke, He'll put it aside if you can't find one up your way. no stress