PDA

View Full Version : GQ starter motor

shorty
3rd August 2012, 07:20 PM
can you purchase the starter motor gear drive i have got a starter motor that works but the gear drive end has worn teeth and i dont want to do damage to the fly wheel teeth with it.

97_gq_lwb
3rd August 2012, 07:49 PM
That is usually called a bendix.
It should be possible try your local auto electrician or spare parts store and shop by brand and model of the starter.
Jasoceana http://www.jasoceania.com.au/catalogues.html
Might have it in their catalogues somewhere

Yendor
3rd August 2012, 08:16 PM
Yes the starter motor pinion can be replaced, if available.

Are you sure the gear is worn? The teeth are cut at a certain angle to help with meshing into the flywheel during starting.

shorty
3rd August 2012, 08:58 PM
yeah thats a thought gears are angled quite alot i hand turned the motor with the starter out and had a look at the fly wheel teeth aren't to bad 300,00km! not to bad. but 1 in five starts sounds like it does when you trying and start a car thats already started when it does this it doesnt turn the motor over just makes that terrible crunching squealing sound. i'm leaning towards getting a new starter this one has the original nissan sticker on it and the teeth have chipped ears.

Yendor
3rd August 2012, 09:26 PM
At those Ks you would be better off getting a replacement starter motor or at least getting yours fully overhauled.

By the symptoms you have described it could be a worn pinion gear. What you need to look for is a burr along the outer flat edge of the gear.

These burrs will run parallel to the outer edge of the gear and will go across the cut edge of the teeth, this is what can prevent the starter motor pinion from engaging with the ring gear.

Another possibility is the starter motor could also be dry and corroded inside, this can prevent the starter motor pinion from travelling fully out.

It would also pay to have a relay fitted to the start circuit when you fit your new starter motor, this will overcome any voltage drop your vehicles wiring may have.

shorty
4th August 2012, 08:10 AM
there is a positive lead straight from the battery to the starter so the relay would be in the control circuit to get 12 v straight through that circuit?

macca86
4th August 2012, 08:27 AM
Another possibility is the starter motor could also be dry and corroded inside, this can prevent the starter motor pinion from travelling fully out.

This I believe is my problem so I'm changing my starter motor today. Sometimes it starts sometimes it won't when it does start the starter motor takes 4 seconds to turn her over otherwises it doesn't start or turn over just here it click at the starter motor. I did flood my car out in the mud now I'm chasing gremlins. Could just be an earth issue though

Yendor
4th August 2012, 10:47 PM
there is a positive lead straight from the battery to the starter so the relay would be in the control circuit to get 12 v straight through that circuit?

All you need is a relay and some 5mm wire.

Mount the relay on the inner guard near the starter motor. The pins on the relay are numbered 30,85,86 and 87.

Connect pin 85 to ground.

Disconnect the smaller wire that goes to the starter motor, extend this wire and connect it to terminal 86 of the relay.

Run a wire from the previously disconnected terminal at the starter motor and connect the other end of the wire to terminal 87 of the relay.

Connect another wire onto the same nut at the starter motor that the main battery cable connects to (disconnect one of the battery terminals first) and connect the other end of this wire to terminal 30 of the relay.

Tape up the 3 wires you have running from the starter motor to the relay into a neat harness.

The relay will overcome any voltage drop from the vehicle's old wiring or worn ignition switch.

If the relay you have has 5 pins and one is an 87a do not use this pin. Leave the 87a vacant just use the 87.

Yendor
4th August 2012, 10:48 PM
This I believe is my problem so I'm changing my starter motor today. Sometimes it starts sometimes it won't when it does start the starter motor takes 4 seconds to turn her over otherwises it doesn't start or turn over just here it click at the starter motor. I did flood my car out in the mud now I'm chasing gremlins. Could just be an earth issue though
Your problem will more then likely be corrosion around the armature and brushes in the starter motor. As well as muck in the solenoid contacts.

shorty
9th August 2012, 08:59 PM
Hey thanks for that info the wiring mod sounds good as you can imagine the nissan is getting a little tired nearly 25 yrs old! got a new starter the teeth on the old one were very sad got it installed i will fetch a relay and continue on

shorty
15th August 2012, 08:29 PM
Hey thanks yendor for the wiring instructions followed your advice got a relay set up now starts perfect every time!

the ferret
15th August 2012, 09:02 PM
I think you'll find you have a worn ring gear, this is why it miss meshes, the flywheel stops at the same position each time you shut it down.
Cheers, the ferret.