PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 top dead center

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 12:23 PM
Hi All,

I hope someone can please point me in the right direction.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my ZD30, I have been following the Gregory's manual, however the top dead center for the timing is not really clear.

I put the timing notch on the harmonic balance to the timing mark on the crank case prior to removing the head, however now i have removed the head, the pistons are all about equal and half way down the cylinders.

My questions are, Is this the correct place for the pistons to be (Surely not) or can the balancer pully have moved, or have more than 1 notch?

When i put things back together, I will be going by the A:A, B:B, C:C marks on all the gears, will this be the better approach to make sure that the timing will be good?

Cheers
Steve

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 05:45 PM
Here are a couple of pictures to show what i mean

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6854/20120803165623.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1609/20120803165631.jpg

I hope the links work :) its my firs attempt

threedogs
3rd August 2012, 05:56 PM
I've found on most engine re build you line up all the marks, you're not 180 out ?
Just checked my Max Ellery manual and found nothing, Best I get a better manual
will type as I read set no 1 piston at TDC turning cranckshaft clokwise until marks on timingindicator[gear case] and mark on crankshaft pulley line up. if not turn crankshaft pulley one more time until they match up

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks threedogs

Mine pretty much says the same, i will try turning the pully again in the morning and see if it is 180 out, i have worked on a few petrol motors before and tdc it pretty easy because you can remove a spark plug and feel the piston with a small screwdriver to see if no.1 is up or not, diesel is different with the glow plug, i was supprised after i took the head off and saw the pistons half down lol

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the pointer threedogs, i have just wound the bottom pully half a turn and low n behold there is a second timing notch, had a bit of a feel because i thought i was imagining things (just spent 3hrs with steel wool polishing the block) it definitely has 2 marks on the lower pully.

I pulled the second notch to the timing mark and no.1 is up and the a,b,c marks line up :P and my thumb is caning from the steel wool rubbing haha

I can see where the water was leaking now from the pics above, she is all polished and smooth now. Im pulling an all nighter now so excuse the spelling, im on an ipad, coffee time!!!

Cant wait to hear the truck run again