PDA

View Full Version : Howdy All

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 08:07 AM
Hi All,

Time to meet and greet, I am Steve from Brisbane, a new member as of today.

I have been reading the forums a lot over the past few months since buying the 2002 GU (ZD30) from hell :frown:

I hope I will be able to ask around here for some guidance as I am in the process of replacing a head gasket (3rd in 6 months - Long story)

Talk soon
Steve

threedogs
3rd August 2012, 08:16 AM
Welcome aboard mate, plenty of info here to sort your GU out. Great bunch of people as well, Enjoy

AB
3rd August 2012, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Bigrig
3rd August 2012, 08:20 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Guys,

From what i have been reading on the forums over the months there is a wealth of knowledge here :) I have gotten some great information and will be hopefully doing the NADS as part of this rebuild.

A little background on the truck:
Bought last August for $23,000

January noticed bubbling in overflow, got the rad replaced (80% blocked) $1000

January (1 week later) rad hoses pressurizing, had head grind, new cams, and replaced head gasket. $3000

April 6 balance shaft sheared off at the air pump lost brakes and clutch.mechanic had the truck for 10 weeks, apparently he took it for a test run after fixing the above shaft and the engine cut out, he fitted a new crank angle sensor.
car would not start, he took the rocker cover off and the top timing pulley had come off and disintegrated, he got another head fitted and car was running. $2200

June 9 got car back, there was a prominent hissing coming from under the hood (not the turbo sound which I love :P ) leaking water (not a great deal) and heater going hot and cold at running temp (I thought it was from either water pump or thermostat housing), this will come into play a bit later.

June 10 Turbo shaft snapped, I got an aftermarket one for $699 and fitted myself (I would have gotten a garrett but above problems sent me broke).

June 15 water leak was getting worse, took it back to the mechanic, he dumped seal-up and chemiweld in the rad, ran for a while and the leak stopped.

June 16 rad hoses pressurizing again, took it back to mechanic as it was blowing the coolant out to the overflow then out of the overflow, mechanic refuses to work on the truck again.

Since then, the truck has become a garage decoration, I finally saved the $$ to buy a new gasket kit, pyro/boost guages, pillar pod holder, dawes valve, needle valve, the head has had a grind and check, and this weekend I will be re-assembling =D

Whew, that was a story and a half.

growler2058
3rd August 2012, 10:19 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Silver
3rd August 2012, 10:28 AM
That is a story and a half Steve.

Hopefully this time, since you plan to get every aspect attended to, you'll finally be able to enjoy your $30k+ machine.

miller12
3rd August 2012, 10:54 AM
Welcome aboard mate sound like u have had a bad run

Dhuck
3rd August 2012, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

MEGOMONSTER
3rd August 2012, 04:19 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

White Elephant
3rd August 2012, 04:34 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay!

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome :)

I got the head back today heres a pic, let me know if the pictures are too large.

Also, i would like to post progress updates and pictures, can anyone please tell me which forum to post them in?

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6364/20120803165704.jpg

Steveo867
3rd August 2012, 05:52 PM
I just realised there is a dunny seat picture on the news paper the head is sitting on lol had to have a chuckle at that

2TROLLFAM
4th August 2012, 03:17 PM
Welcome Aboard !! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do, there’s heaps of ‘light’ reading to be done and when in doubt don’t hesitate to ask – the forum members are fantastic!!

Finly Owner
4th August 2012, 10:09 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Steve

Tim

Steveo867
25th August 2012, 05:55 PM
Well this is an old thread, but I thought I would update you all on my progress

I replaced the head gasket
The timing chain tentioner mounting boot was theaded, got some epoxy thread repair and ended up snapping the bolt trying to remove it like the distructions said.

Got a new oversized bolt made
Drilled hole in leftover bolt
Snapped easyout inside my nice new hole
Tried to drill out, no go
Bought new front motor and intercooler
Put it together today and drove the beast, what a rush hehe
Now the girl is staying garaged until I have the next weekend to fit nads, I got all parts ready

But she runs, I'm extatic

Maxhead
25th August 2012, 08:01 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

..........on the move

Fiftynow
26th August 2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Steve, what a story! I also have an 02 GU ZD30, with a build date 05/02. It has about 220K km on the clock, I am in the process of accumulating all the parts for a NADS. Once all the parts are in I will be installing it on my Pootrol.

All the best mate and welcome to the forum.

benhirst
28th August 2012, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the info.