PDA

View Full Version : Camper Trailer

Wetty
1st August 2012, 07:33 PM
OK all you learned Nissan owners, I have a question for you. . . .
I am in the market for a new camper and want to know what is a good buy, I have $20K to spend and would like to know if anyone out there can give me some help. I have been looking around for the last week here in Perth and on the interweb and think I have completely confused myself :1087:
Cheers
Wetty

Maxhead
1st August 2012, 07:42 PM
Have you got kids? Or just you and missis?
Do you need proper off road(extreme)?

Just not more info to go off to start off with. There's a heap off them out there so try and narrow it down to what you need.

Considered a caravan?

..........on the move

hekarewe
1st August 2012, 08:20 PM
right i know right where your coming from i made the same mistake look and quoted etc to point of complete confusion so many to choose from and so many ot avoid at all costs.

i eventually came down to a choice of 2 trailers one being Allterran at seven hills sydney the other being johnnos campers of maryboure qld (think that is spelt right) both are a little expensive but both are very bullet proof trailers and well made.

i eventually went with the Johnnos as a late model second hand one fell into my lap at the canberra camping show. it was the johnnos evolution one of the first of this line. was built for the local franchisee as his personal trailer but when johnnos decide to copy his design they sent him a new one to use as "all farnchisees have to have the latest model ergo i scored a 3 month all trailer with all options and a huge discount over a new build!! have not looked back since buying this camper and it has given me no dramas at all and is water tight and dust proof most importantly it tows like a dream even on a rough beach run,,, ask the guys behind me on the boys weekend over here in qld just gone.

Johnnos do have franchises all over the country from what i under stand which means you could rent one for a weekend and try before you buy. bearing in mind the build price for mine in 2010 was about 28K also bear in mind it is their top of the line model and came with every extra. i am sure they coiuld build you onme or even get a second hand one in good condition for the money you have their web site is below

WWW.campertrailer.com.au

when looking at other trailers first thing to look at is whos cavas they are using try and go for someone who is WAX CONVERTERS rip stop a for better option then the fully imported chinese canvas is is water proofed and wears a lot longer also look for a 15oz roof and at least 13 to 15 oz walls anything light just wont wear as well the other thing is look for full welds not spot welding in the trailer and full lenght chassi rails suspension should have hangers on the springs at both ends for off road use and also at least rebound springs as a minimon

hope all this helps and happy hunting

megatexture
1st August 2012, 09:06 PM
we got ours 2nd hand for 8k (1 yr old) brand new it would have set us back 14k+ extras as it had on it so don’t rule out 2nd hand and modifying/ adding to it there are some awesome savings to be had and fun on the way who doesn’t modifying toys!!

our brand is customline http://www.customline.com.au/index.php
they have changed their line of campers since we got ours (now 6 yrs old no issues so far)but we are extremely happy with ours
since we bought it I’ve put on a water pump, volt meter, rear spare wheel holder, lifted it and put on 33"s, a telescopic ladder, and internal led lights

Steve4wdin
1st August 2012, 09:09 PM
Firstly your location confuses me.Guildford in Sydney? or are you in Perth???. I went through the same dlilemer. Value for money, on road, off road etc etc. I went to the Sydney camping show at rosehill and was amazed and confused. However I bought a " Lifestyle Camper " ,made in Brisbane. One thing I considered was how to get into bed. If you use a ladder on the side of the bed some one climbs over the other. If they need to get up in the night they wake the other one up climbing over them. Walk up campers are the go. Thats what I bought and love it ( so does hugs and kisses )Hope that helps. I paid about $14,000 Got Au canvas, enclosed annex tail gate kitchen, inner spring mattress 80lt water tank with elec pump. The list goes on.

NissanGQ4.2
1st August 2012, 09:16 PM
Johnnos do have franchises all over the country from what i under stand which means you could rent one for a weekend and try before you buy. bearing in mind the build price for mine in 2010 was about 28K also bear in mind it is their top of the line model and came with every extra. i am sure they coiuld build you onme or even get a second hand one in good condition for the money you have their web site is below

When I spoke to David from the Blue Mountains franchise a month or 2 ago he was closing up, so if your in the Sydney area and not Perth, you might want to give him a call. Might have one or 2 up for sale.

NissanGQ4.2
1st August 2012, 09:18 PM
Disregard mate, just read your Intro

Perth not Sydney Guildford

Wetty
1st August 2012, 10:01 PM
Have you got kids? Or just you and missis?
Do you need proper off road(extreme)?

Just not more info to go off to start off with. There's a heap off them out there so try and narrow it down to what you need.

Considered a caravan?

..........on the move
Ah, yeah. . . .should have said just me and SWMBO so we don't need the Tahj Mahal but would like to be capable of sleeping 4. I looked at one today that was $50K. . . was nice but sheesh, it's only a trailer with a tent on it! LOL
I have no room for a van either, hence the trailer.
Wetty

choochie
2nd August 2012, 12:23 AM
Went with a mate to the caravan and camping show n Perth a couple months back cos he was chasing a camper trailer. Ended up dropping $22k on a johnnos camper; it was by far the best under $30k in my opinion. He received it a few weeks ago and is pleased as punch.

[Tapatalk2 on Nexus7]

rkinsey
2nd August 2012, 02:40 AM
Hi Wetty,

I have been looking and talking to quite a few dealers here in Sydney and in VICC and QLD as well, and I find one thing is common, they all START at a price and then you have to add this and that accessory shuch as electric brakes, water tank, kitchen etc etc.

I went to the Sydney 4WD show last year and came accross MDC campers and was surprised to see a large offroad camper with all of the required accessories, Brakes, kitchen and water tank included in their listed price. Yes you can add more accessories but I found that these guys were the only ones that were upfront with the price and what inclusions were on the trailer and this is not just a show thing. I have since spoken to them again after the show and its still the same.

For my family of 4 (Myself, Wife and two teenage kids) I found that either of the following campers would suit us to a tee.

http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/products/camper-trailer-models/off-road-t-box-v2

http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/products/camper-trailer-models/off-road-step-through

These are well within your price range and I would recomend these blokes just for their upfront honesty which is rare to find.

I am saving my pennies and we are going with the Tbox V2 as it has all the storage you need which is protected from dust and water and the 18ft tent is more than enough room for us.

Hope this helps in your search for your camper.

Cheers,

Rob

Drew
2nd August 2012, 06:47 AM
http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm is worth a look