PDA

View Full Version : Viscous fan clutch rebuild?

zmaster
30th July 2012, 10:54 PM
Hi all
Need some info on TB42 fan clutch. I need to add some oil in the fan hub. Can you open them? There's probably a thread here somewhere but can't seem to find it. Any tips would be appreciated.

97_gq_lwb
30th July 2012, 11:04 PM
They unbolt and seperate and you can buy the silicon oil from toyota.
Or hobby shops that sell remote control cars sell it as well a lot cheaper but not sure if it is the same stuff grade etc or if it will work properly.
another tip if you can't get the o ring back in bake it on baking paper in the oven and they shrink.

Outrage
31st July 2012, 04:34 PM
I have the TB45E, the clutch in that is a sealed unit, not rebuildable. Have heard of people drilling holes into them, changing oil and sealing back up though. Ended up working out mine was still functioning after a test (other issues were causing engine to get hot).

From memory, the petrols all come out with sealed units, diesels have ones that bolt together thus can change the oil.

GQ TANK
31st July 2012, 07:11 PM
I rebulit the fan on my RB30s - got the oil from ford - cant remeinber the P/N - Had to get two tubes of it.

The one I rebuilt had bolts that let me pull it apart. - made a big differance.

Robo
3rd August 2012, 02:38 PM
Can someone post a thread, Instructions + pics rebuilding a hub, if not already done or post link.
Cheers

Stusgq
17th August 2012, 01:40 PM
It's pretty easy, I did mine a couple of months ago - didn't take any oics though.
You just take the fan off the engine - 4 bolts.
Take the 4 bolts out of the fam assemblt itself and it splits into 2 sides.
Remove all of the old gung and then use 2 tubes of silicon oil - I bought mine from toyota at around $12 each tube - to refill.
relocate the o ring and put it back together.
Piece of p!$$.

Stusgq
17th August 2012, 01:41 PM
Geez my spellings terrible! Damn fat fingers

andrew373
12th September 2012, 10:11 AM
just buy a new one there not that pricey you can get them new for under $100

my third 256
12th September 2012, 10:54 AM
its a good idear to change the water pump at the same time as there might have been some vibration
chack the fan blades for cracks