PDA

View Full Version : new member from the Gold Coast

DC-Auto
30th July 2012, 09:02 PM
gday all,
my name is Dan, 30y/o qualified mechanic, married with 2 kids. i have been playing with cars, bikes, and boats pretty much my whole life. I'm professionally experienced (factory trained) in Subaru, Suzuki, Lotus, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, and Holden. I'm highly experienced with performance Nissan's & Toyota's, and all sorts of road bikes.

I have never really tried my hand at building a 4x4, all my mates are into it, so I have jumped onto the bandwagon. It bought a 88' GQ to tow my boat, in good condition but not showroom. Did the usual, 2" lift, 2" body, notched rear qtrs, ARB winch bar, custom rear bar, 10,000lb winch, HID's, spotties, roof cage, desert cooler radiator, snorkel, rock sliders, petronix elec dissy, clutch booster, h/d clutch, Uniden UHF etc, single peice rear qtr glass, new lights all round, cleaned up the interior alot. etc etc.

But.. my real project is my 89' GQ LWB, LS1 converted, PWR stage 2 positive displacement supercharger @ 9psi, lunati cam, valve springs, roller rockers, etc etc, marks 4x4 adapter kit, marks headers but will change to pacemakers, custom clutch... much more to go, still need the fuel system and exhaust before she's up and running. should be on the road before Xmas if the RTA will approve the conversion (still conversing with qld transport)

and that's pretty much it

cheers

threedogs
30th July 2012, 09:18 PM
Welcome mate plenty of info here for you and great bunch of people too, Enjoy
Need pics

MEGOMONSTER
30th July 2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Dhuck
30th July 2012, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

growler2058
30th July 2012, 11:08 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice. Sounds like a bloody awesome troll ya gunna have there look forward to the members ride thread with lotsa pics ;-)

DC-Auto
30th July 2012, 11:16 PM
no decent photo's of the ls1 patrol yet

AB
31st July 2012, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, love the bar work, looks very neat!!!

Maxhead
31st July 2012, 07:30 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

..........on the move

Bigrig
31st July 2012, 07:37 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

What's the go on the inside mate?? If it's anywhere near as clean and tidy as outside then maybe you want to have a look at the "Ultimate GQ Tourer" thread for 4WD Action (on here under General Chat) as they are looking for a Patrol for a full shoot and cover shot an yours is trick looking!!!

Enjoy!!

White Elephant
31st July 2012, 03:48 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate. Enjoy your stay. The old bus looks like a beast!

wildgu6
1st August 2012, 08:26 PM
G'day & welcome aboard Dan
Great lot here with tons of ideas, advice, adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable
Nice rig there buddy

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Shonky
1st August 2012, 11:43 PM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to the progress of your rig...

DC-Auto
6th August 2012, 04:51 PM
im at the point where i can still back out of the LS conversion without loosing too much (pending previous engine owner coming through with parts). found out that forced induction on a non original, naturally aspirated motor is illegal with an off-road 4x4. I can drop the motor in as an NA and have it engineered but not with the blower, I don't have the original manifold, computer, throttle body, injectors, induction etc. so if i do go ahead it'll require some lenient engineering (as a natural aspirated motor turning a blind eye). im still waiting on quite a few parts for the conversion (previous owner has them in storage, ecu, 3 bar maf, and intercooler) which i should have by wednesday.

Finly Owner
11th August 2012, 12:56 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Dan and family.

Tim

DC-Auto
19th August 2012, 11:03 PM
For those who asked, the photo looks worse than it is, the only rust is in the engine bay, otherwise it's a good example of a GQ. The motor is from a 255kw HSV Maloo, which made over 450rwhp and almost 1000nm of torque. this is just the mockup, it will be pulled and freshened up. While the motor is out, the engine bay will be stripped of anything that's not needed, rust removed, and a full respray. It'll look pretty much identical to my current GQ but much more refined.