PDA

View Full Version : IPAD gps function

shorty
29th July 2012, 07:58 PM
does any use there ipad for gps mapping outside mobile or internet reception areas does it still function o.k. what programs or apps are required for ipad 2 g.p.s wifi 16 GB

Clunk
29th July 2012, 08:54 PM
there's a few of us who use tablets in various forms and operating systems but unfortunately I know nothing about Ipads or anything apple for that matter, unless its a pink lady lol

Malgreen
30th July 2012, 12:59 AM
i do mate... i think its great, i have a couple of hooks that hold the ipad in place and the big screen is amazing to use off road, i just use the basic software available in the app store called memory map, but i think i will get the mud maps when i can.
leave it plugged in to power as it goes flat quick.

oncedisturbed
30th July 2012, 01:13 AM
Shorty, have a look in member's ride for my build thread "Gino's GU" - There are some pics of the Ipad I have mounted to the dash.

I use MUDmaps and HEMA for offroad and have IGO Primo for on road mapping. The built in GPS works great with no WIFI service whether you have a sim card or not. I have had lots of problems with the Memory Map and Bitmap apps so have stayed clear of them, other's have had good use from them.

Big Tuna
30th July 2012, 05:45 PM
Just read some pretty Average reviews on the mud maps app. Is it true that it doesn't show creeks, only major rivers and it also won't let you zoom? I was pretty keen on this app but now I'm not so sure.. Any thoughts fellas??

malcolm
30th July 2012, 10:40 PM
Hi I work at a Marina and around the water - quite a few people are using ipads as chartplotters for coastal navigation - and seem to be happy with its performance . I think Magellan even do a protective case and battery back up for outdoor use . I don't have one so i can't comment personally .

By the way Robert Poppers 'GPS navigation in Aus' by Boiling Billy publishing is a great book for explaining lots of technicalities .

If it's of interest , you might take a close look at Google Earth (not maps) and pre load some of the places you intend to visit in to your pc or Ipad . You normally need an internet connection to get 'continuous' scrolling but about a 2 gig file is cached of your last location - so you can see a limited area offline . You can load multiple 2 gig chunks with a few 'work arounds' but I'v'e not tried it personally.

Although it's a marina based thing you can find a few tips on my web site which is www.eastcoastcruising.com.au

Cheers

Nozzle
26th August 2012, 09:03 PM
We use an ipad as gps in our maintanence truck i use the normal maps app but it requires connectivity so to boost this we have a wireless internet dongle with an external antenna to boost coverage works great most places also have a windsgreen mount for it and watch movies on long trips.

oncedisturbed
26th August 2012, 09:31 PM
I run mudmaps and hema together depending on what i am doing / going that way it covers most of the area, still doesnt beat a decent map with you

MudRunnerTD
28th December 2013, 09:36 AM
does any use there ipad for gps mapping outside mobile or internet reception areas does it still function o.k. what programs or apps are required for ipad 2 g.p.s wifi 16 GB

Saw this link elsewhere and thought it would be helpful here

hema-4wd-maps-app---what-ipad-models-does-the-hema-4wd-australia-app-run-on (http://hema.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/61/0/hema-4wd-maps-app---what-ipad-models-does-the-hema-4wd-australia-app-run-on)